Pitching Brett + primary yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just brewed my first saison with a Belgian saison yeast blend from white labs, then added Brett brux in secondary just the other day.

I ended up buying white labs American farmhouse ale yeast that supposedly has a little bit of Brett in it already. I was just wondering if it would be normal to pitch a vial of the farmhouse AND a vial of Brett trois into primary and just let it sit for awhile.

Let me know your thoughts on this! Thanks

You're just creating your own blend at that point. No problem doing it that way. Make sure to post your results

Yes a new batch. Also, how long does it usually take for the Brett to start fermenting? I pitched it yesterday and am seeing no activity

Depending on the pitch rate, it could take a week or so to see activity. Also, saison yeast will generally eat up a lot of sugars, so don't expect to see a lot of activity like a new krausen. On my brett saison, I saw a small amount of CO2 production with minimal airlock bubbling. After some months, the flavor had definitely changed.

Latest posts

Back