Pitched Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocalNat

Reaction score
I brewed an american ale today with an og of 1.056. I used a whitelabs vial (San Diego WPL090) and pitched directly from the vial. I mixed the yeast into suspension but when I opened the vial it was under pressure and about 1/3 of the liquid from the vial was lost. I was able to get the rest into the fermentor but I am afraid that it is not enough yeast to complete fermentation. If in 48 hours there is no activity should I repitch? If there is activity will it take longer for the yeast to do its job? What should I do?

Well 1/056 is not a particulary high gravity OG so that is a good thing. It will still ferment but activity might take a bit longer.

However depending on if you oxygenated well there are a couple things that could happen.

1. The Yeast could end up getting stressed trying to reproduce from under pitching
2. Likely outcome is your Final graivty will end up higher than you want and your beer might be a bit sweet.

You'll be fine. Make a starter next time though. Always make a starter. I know it's inconvenient, but after doing a couple, it'll be no big deal.

You'll be fine. Make a starter next time though. Always make a starter. I know it's inconvenient, but after doing a couple, it'll be no big deal.

I don't know why, but I feel a little intimidated by yeast knowing it's the most delicate part of the brewing process. Everytime I open a vial/packet of yeast I question it's vibiability so imagine my stress when I loose 1/3 of the culture! So from this day on I make a pledge to myself (and anyone else who may enjoy my beer) that I will always make a yeast starter!! I invite all new homebrewers to join me in this pledge (if you don't already make starters).

You obviously need to pitch a pack of Wyeast 1056. :mug:

Yes, this would have been my first choice but my LHBS was out of stock and the San Diego strain was the owner's suggestion. However, as of 24+ hours since pitching yeast I am happy to report that I now need a blowoff tube for the 6 in of kreusen that said yeast has produced. But, needless to say, starters from now on.

NOW I get it: 1056=1.056. Oh man, it's late.

Back