Pitched Yeast Starter at 90 deg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bplaughlin

Reaction score
I got distracted and pitched my yeast starter at 90 deg. Realizing this

immediately i quickly cooled it down to 70 deg in an ice bath. How do you think

this will affect the beer if i pitch it?

California V Ale Yeast WLP051

I'm not concerned about it working. I'm concerned about it giving the beer off flavors. It was only

at 90 and was at 70 within 5 min.

Don't worry, it will be fine. In fact, it will probably start faster due to the higher pitching temp. You did the right thing cooling it down immediately to proper fermentation temp. Basically, by the time you start to see krausen you NEED to be in proper fermentation temperature range to avoid off-flavors. If you got it down the low 70s by that time, you'll be fine!

:mug:

Meh, I brewed a batch recently that was a bit too warm for the pitching. (I realized this when I looked at the therm on the side of the fermenter) It took it a little while longer to get itself going, but since then its been bubbling away nonstop. I *do* actually have a bit of concern for this beer as it was day 2 or 3 that it started forming the krausen, and its been steadily bubbling for several days now (never had a beer do this that long)

But honestly I think this beer will be fine, its just kind of neat to have a brew that didnt act like all of the rest!
-Me

Back