Pitched at 82 degrees .help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crookedibrews

Reaction score
So I have a new digital thermostat. I brewed a pail ale and once I got it into the bucket. I brought the temp down with the ice bath method. I got the temps down to 85 then added my fill water to get it up to 5 gal. I waited till the thermostat read 70.
My mistake was that the thermostat read the side closest to the ice and I pulled it out before stirring. I shake my bucket to add oxygen. And pitch the yeast. Once I got it to the fermenting fridge I realized the temp gage on the bucket read 82.
It took about 5 hours for my fridge to get it to 72. It stayed at 72 for about another 12 hours before I could get home and readjust the thermostat controller. Now it is at 66 degrees and has been for 2 days.
I'm just wondering how bad this will affect my beer. I noticed the airlock bubbling after about 16 hours and it continues to go. It isn't really bubbling as much as usual. But I am used to brewing higher gravity beers. My OG was 1.056.
I just set my brew equipment back up after a big move and this is my first run in my new spot. So I had a lot of adjustments to make. The temps are holding strong at 66 degrees now. Any knowledge would be appreciated.:mug:

Next time try this - chill the top-off water to just above freezing, so that when you add it to the 85*F wort it can get you down around 60*F which is excellent ale pitch temp.

An 82*F pitch followed by 17 hours above or at 72* may or may not be a problem depending on what yeast you used. What strain did you pitch?

Safe ale us-05. Dry. That sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a shot. Sounds a lot faster. I plan on getting a wort chiller soon. Mo money tho you know how that goes. I'd rather buy more brew ingredients.

Safe ale us-05. Dry. That sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a shot. Sounds a lot faster. I plan on getting a wort chiller soon. Mo money tho you know how that goes. I'd rather buy more brew ingredients.

Glad to hear it was US-05. You're in much better shape with that than if you had pitched Nottingham.

Don't worry about getting the wort chiller until you decide to go to full volume boils. You'll really need one for that.

It sucks I'm a bit rusty I was brewing great beer for awhile. Took a break for like 8 months. Now I'm looking back at everything I learned. I hope this batch turns out. I'm brewing another batch next week. Now that I got my refresher batch out of the way...lol

It sounds like you got it down in time. Hopefully that's the case and you can just chalk it up as a consequence-free learning (or remembering, as the case may be) opportunity.

I'm sure it will tast better than some of the beer I made when I first started. Lol which I drank anyway... Or gave to my bud ice drinking buddy and watched him get wasted off of. I was more worried about the headache factor that comes with high fermentation temps.. I can handle a little estery..

Back