Pitched a Different Yeast into Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashuganabrew

Brewing... could anything be better?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't like how dry my Brown Ale turned out with the Yorkshire Square Ale Yeast, so I moved it into a secondary, added 3 oz of Molasses and pitched a pack of Safeale US-05. I'm experiementing here... Thoughts anyone?

i'm confused. if you thought it was too dry, why did you add a more attenuative yeast?
Well, I'm new at this, and basically I didn't like the flavor that the Yorkshire left, so I thought I'd add one that I did like... hoping it would change the flavor profile... But if I'm reading you right, it sounds like I chose poorly?

Well, I'm new at this, and basically I didn't like the flavor that the Yorkshire left, so I thought I'd add one that I did like... hoping it would change the flavor profile... But if I'm reading you right, it sounds like I chose poorly?

Well, I was just going off your description that you didn't like how dry it was. Dry = low residual sugar. Throwing in a more attenuative yeast is going to result in a bit more of that sugar being eaten, leaving the beer even drier. I've never played around with molasses, so can'd say what effect 3 oz of that is going to have.

The other things, as far as the flavors go.... 1) US-05 is a relatively clean yeast, flavor wise, so its probably not going to add much in general and 2) yeast primarily add flavor as their reproducing, and your yeast probably aren't going to reproduce much, because they don't need to.

wouldn't have drank the beer anyway... soooo... oh well.

You should definitely not declare a beer undrinkable when its warm and flat and young. unless its obviously infected. bottle it, carb it, let it condition before deciding it isn't worth drinking.

Well, I was just going off your description that you didn't like how dry it was. Dry = low residual sugar. Throwing in a more attenuative yeast is going to result in a bit more of that sugar being eaten, leaving the beer even drier. I've never played around with molasses, so can'd say what effect 3 oz of that is going to have.

The other things, as far as the flavors go.... 1) US-05 is a relatively clean yeast, flavor wise, so its probably not going to add much in general and 2) yeast primarily add flavor as their reproducing, and your yeast probably aren't going to reproduce much, because they don't need to.

Hmmm... that's they type of info I needed. All valid points. Thank you. In your experience, what would be a way to sweeten this beer up?

i would say bottle a few as is, and see how they turn out. You may end up finding there was never a problem at all. :D

Declaring a brew undrinkable (assuming no infection) when moved from a primary to a secondary is like slicing into a half-baked (raw) turkey 2 hours before Thanksgiving dinner and commenting "this is crap". Let's all go out for dinner.

It's not done, till it's done. Brewing requires patience, patience and more patience.

Back