Pitch yeast before adding wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming you mean that in the case of a partial boil, you would pitch into the top off water.

I wouldn't, and here's why:

Top off water has a pretty low concentration of ions (might be hypotonic, anyone know?), and isn't an ideal medium for brewers yeast. It also might be pretty cold for the little critters.

Otherwise, yes, it would help mix it in, though they'll do a good enough job of mixing themselves in on their own.

Now thaaat's a better reason to add the yeast first!

If volume is a problem, you can also chill the starter in the fridge (to a particular temperature that someone else will know), decant most of the liquid off, and use the slurry that's left behind.

Getting yeast mixed into the beer is never a concern of mine. I drop the yeast right into a full carboy, airlock it, and forget about it. It will make its way into the wort without assistance.

I've always pitched my started into the empty carboy and then poured cool wort (from full boil) on top of it, just seemed like the simplest way to mix it up.

Actually there's no real need to mix yeast into the beer. when you sprinkle on top of the wort and just leave it, it both rehydrates, and also gets exposed to the air so it can divide and increase the cell count, prior to starting fermentation.

Latest posts

Back