Pitch temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys, am brewing a lager clone this weekend with Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager which recommends ferment temp of 45-55. (OG1.053-FG1.014).

Question, should I pitch at room temp then cool wort down to ferment temp

OR should I cool both the wort and starter first to ferment temp and then pitch.
Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks

I go with Jamil's method to cool 4 or 5° below pitch temp, pitch, then bring it up to ferment temp over the next 24 - 36 hours

Should the starter be at the same (4-5 deg below ferm temp) as the wort when pitching. Heard that should always try to pitch with starter and wort at similar temps so as not to shock the yeast.

i use a BrewPi and no-chill (well, have a new immersion chiller, haven't gotten chance to use it yet)

so after boil, I'll put the kettle AND starter in the ferment fridge, set it on fridge constant 45°, leave it overnight. next morning pitch, set the BrewPi to beer constant 50° or start my profile

so, yeah... wort & starter are within 1° before pitching

Thanks for the input Nerd. Leaning towards chilling wort and starter in ice bath to 47-48, pitching and bringing both to 50. Am also using a new immersion chiller, (brew jacket). Interested to see how well it holds 50.
Later

I've had good success pitching warmer and then bringing it down to fermentation temps within a few hours of pitching. I feel like this way the yeast are quicker to get going. Not sure what the ideal method is. I'm just usually impatient and have a hard time waiting for the wort to drop that last 10-15F.

Jamil recommends the Narziss method... the reasoning is
to reduce the production of esters and other less desirable compounds during the most active phases of fermentation, and to increase the yeast activity near the end of fermentation, converting most of the undesirable compounds into less offensive substances

Brewing Classic Styles p43

reducing the need for a long diacetyl rest, because you're producing less of the precursor in the first place

both warm to lower and cold to higher are valid methods, most important are plenty of oxygen and pitch enough viable yeast

Zymurgy, or maybe it was BYO, just answered this question from a subscriber in their magazine. They mentioned both and I believe the overall answer was "pick whichever you want and see how it goes" and with that said I'd get both the yeast and the beer to the same temp and THEN pitch. I also have temp control and the space to chill both so it's not as big of a deal for me.

Back