Pitch Rate - Wyeast #2206 - 1.056 Festbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gytaryst

Reaction score
I haven't done many lagers and the ones I have done were . . . well . . .

I usually use the Brewersfriend yeast starter calculator; it's just what I started out using and never saw the need to switch. The yeast (Wyeast # 2206 Barvarian Lager) is 2 weeks old. According to this site that's 90% viable or 90 billion cells per pack. Under "Target Pitch Rate"
"Pro Brewer 1.50 (Lager)"
has a pitch rate of 0.29M cells/mL/˚P, or 470 billion cells.
"Pro Brewer 1.75 (Lager)" has a pitch rate of 0.57M cells/mL/˚P, or 549 billion cells.

I have a 2L flask but I only do 1.75L starters, (2L doesn't leave enough head space for my liking). Based on 1.75L a two-step starter comes out to 531 billion cells.

My plan so far is to just go with that but I wanted to reach out to lager brewers, and specifically anyone who has used #2206 first - just for piece of mind.

Thanks

What is your batch size? If between 5-7 gallons, I'd say 1.75L is enough, given that the yeast is so fresh. If more than 7 gallons, I'd make a bigger starter.

2206 is the best lager yeast ever, by the way.

Cheers.

Last edited:
... 2206 is the best lager yeast ever, by the way.
Good to know.
It's a 6 gallon batch. Everything appeared to look okay to me, but with my limited experience brewing lagers I always have that uneasy feeling I'm overlooking something. Like I said, for piece of mind I feel better getting the thumbs up from someone with more experience.

Back