Pitch onto 100% Brett c yeast cake? How much??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinkeelfool

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm doing a few beers with Brett c as the sole fermenting organism. So far so good. I'm just wondering a few things

1.) can I just pitch another beer into the yeast cake? If so, how much of the cake for a standard gravity beer?.

2.) can I take some of the cake and store it for use later on? I'd be planning on using it in a starter on a stir plate.

Cheers guys.

Beers are a porter and an IPA

How did you find that yeast? I had to ferment at 85F+ to get any decent flavor. Below that it fermented surprisingly clean.

Use about a third of the cake.

You can store the rest in mason jars in the fridge.

Don't know, I've pitched 2 starters into beers at the moment and they're about 4 days or so into fermentation. I did have a heatbelt on them but took it off. Maybe I'll put it back on.

Ok, sounds like a normal yeast cake pitch then. I don't normally pitch on a cake, but I might with these.

I think Brett blends might be better for 100% Brett. I've got a yeast bay lochristi to the next.

Next time I'll give the starters a week before pitching. I only gave the a few days on the stirplate.

Thanks for the advice mate

Latest posts

Back