Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Pirate Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 Gallon
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.01?
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Dark
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 / 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 / 60
7 ½# Dark LME
½# Roasted Barley grain
3/4# Black Patent Malt
½# Crystal Malt
½# Torified Wheat
1 1/2 oz Northern Boiling Hops
1 package of ale yeast.

Steep Grains to 165, Then remove and add LME, Bring to Boil. Add Hops for 60 minutes, cool and pitch yeast.
Rack onto 3 cups grated Confectioners Coconut, and let it sit for 10 days. Be carefull to avoid the oil that will be on top of the beer when racking to bottle bucket.
Bottle with 5 oz Priming sugar and 1 1/2 Litre of Rum. Appleton Estates.

I actually JUST tried this recipe yesterday.

I kinda forgot to add the coconut until about 12 hours later, about 6 hours into the crazy fermenting.

So... Now that's it's been about 24 total hours into it, the fermenting action has noticably died down, just gave the container a good shake/swirl to make sure the yeast are awake, and it picked back up again.

Would you reccomend bottling when the fermenting has stopped or when the FG has stopped?

Or should I re-rack with all the coconut in there?

edit: I'm thinking about what kind of rum I should add... my roommate is a big "flor de cane" fan. Or maybe a cheaper rum?

how much coconut flavor do you get from this? Im not a very big fan of coconut so I dont really want it overpowering the flavor of the beer... I'm guessing the rum really raises the ABV...

I have actually decided against the real coconut in secondary, I've done it in 2 meads now, and it's just more of a mess than I need. I have been having great luck bottling with flavored rum, and I happen to be a fan of Malibu! (I am thinking 1/2 bottle for my needs) I add the rum at bottling time, so it's easy to adjust the flavor.

This is a seriously good beer. I quote my roommate saying, "This is by far the best beer you've made yet".

I followed the exact recipe, except I added 0.75 L of rum to 5 gallons (instead of the 1.5 L). The coconut is a really far off background taste, and it finishes with a taste of rum. Great.

I will add a picture later, it looks great too- I thought I would have lost head because of the coconut, but it seems to have decent head all the way through.

Thanks again BK.

ps- I didn't force carb, I primed mine and bottled it.

That my friend is what it's all about! I'm SO GLAD that you've enjoyed it. And seeing your head there....I'm back on track for real coconut.

Adding the rum in there doesn't affect bottle carbing? Or are you force carbing?
Actually..YES. The Malibu does affect bottle carbing...slightly. In my Bananas on the beach, I added 750 ml and normal priming sugar. That was so foamy that it is hard to pour....but I don't think that 1/2 that amount would be undesirable, although I may cut back to 4 oz of priming sugar if this were the case.

Can someone who's brewed this post what kind of final gravity they ended up with? Mine is higher than expected, and i'm not sure if something got stuck in fermentation, or if the coconut introduced lots of unfermentable sugars to the mix?

PS - Haven't added the rum yet although I'm sure that would discombobulate it even more :)

What type of appleton rum did you use? Light, dark? Anyone use any other types of rum?

I want to use rum in my next beer and was wondering what types would be best. It is going to be a porter.

What BJCP style does this fall under? I'm going to brew this bad boy soon. Here's the All Grain Version for my setup (Keggle & 10G Igloo):

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.82 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.36 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.95 %
0.91 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 8.28 %
0.61 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.52 %
0.56 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
0.56 lb Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
1.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 44.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP039) Yeast-Ale

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 11.01 lb
Sparge Water: 5.50 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 3.44 gal of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 12.2 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 42.0 F Age for: 14.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Add .75 Litres of Coconut (or other) flavored rum at kegging time.

I just kegged this, added .75L of Parrot Bay Coconut Rum. Normally I would let this sit for a while to let some of the flavors blend but I have a party this weekend and I need it NOW. I tasted some last night - HOLY COW, it's really good. It was great before I added the rum, now it has a little harsh alcohol note to it (but hey, real pirates don't care about that do they?).

In the future I'll use about 3/4 of a .75L bottle and let it mellow out for a few weeks in the keg before tapping. I'll definitely be making this one again!

This will definitely be the next beer I brew.

If coconut-flavored rum is used should we still be using the shaved coconut during fermentation or are the two interchangeable?

Just curious how long folks let this sit in bottles before the flavors mellow? Tried a small 12oz-er last night and it was still very twangy, with a super-pronounced coconut flavor. Hoping this mellows out with time....

Can you be a bit more specific with the ingredients listed in the very first post of the thread? I'm still new to brewing - I understand the roasted barley but I'm not sure about the other malt stuff. Is Black Patent malt a dry malt? Is it a specific kind of malt or just a group? Same with the Torified and Crystal stuff.

Also, what do the # signs mean? Pounds I'm guessing?

edit: I tried to delete a post that was in place of this one, but I couldn't figure out how to...so this is now the post.

Heh.

Anyone using the real coconut worry about sanitation... dumping cooled wort onto shredded coconut?

How long did the carbonation take with the Appleton Estates?

Also, I used 4oz. of corn sugar instead of 5oz...

For those of you who like to do it ALL yourself or like to use all natural ingredients I submit this. Alton Brown on his FoodNetwork show "Good Eats" made a coconut cake completely from scratch using whole coconuts. But in the show he made other ingredients with the coconut such as coconut cream/milk, coconut water, and coconut extract. Following are links to the whole show, which is worth watching, and a link to just the recipe to the coconut extract which could be used in this beer.

Entire show:
http://www.fancast.com/tv/Good-Eats/10545/1135934616/Coconut-Cake-Revival/videos

Just recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/coconut-extract-recipe/index.html

I think it would be fun to make your own extract and you could still use rum instead of vodka to stay with the pirate theme.:D

Pretty slick....definately looking at this route in lieu of the Malibu, but like you said...use rum instead of vodka.

Starting to sound like a good brew plan ;)

The Pirate came out great. My buddy said he would be willing to sell this beer. That is a pretty good compliment. Thanks for the recipe, it is a keeper. I will do this one again.

What BJCP style does this fall under? I'm going to brew this bad boy soon. Here's the All Grain Version for my setup (Keggle & 10G Igloo):

Ingredients

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 11.01 lb

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Notes

Did anyone figure out the answer to what BJCP style this is?

I'm hoping to try this as my next batch ( the AG resipe ). By the way has anyone brewed the AG? Any alterations made?

I was wondering how important the coconut flavor is to this beer. Does it come across strong or just a hint? Also, what coconut flavor , either an extract or Malibu rum, etc... have people used, aside from racking onto coconut in secondary. I plan to add rum and the coconut flavor during bottling.

7 ½# Dark LME
½# Roasted Barley grain
3/4# Black Patent Malt
½# Crystal Malt
½# Torified Wheat
1 1/2 oz Northern Boiling Hops
1 package of ale yeast.

Steep Grains to 165, Then remove and add LME, Bring to Boil. Add Hops for 60 minutes, cool and pitch yeast.
Rack onto 3 cups grated Confectioners Coconut, and let it sit for 10 days. Be carefull to avoid the oil that will be on top of the beer when racking to bottle bucket.
Bottle with 5 oz Priming sugar and 1 1/2 Litre of Rum. Appleton Estates.
Hey Big Kahuna,
Just wondering if you could update yor original recipe with what you have learned ie: real coconut, extract, rum, OG and FG etc.
I would really like to try this one as my final extract brew and then convert to AG, which is currently being built in my garage.
Thanks....and brew on!!!

jp27300 said:
I was wondering how important the coconut flavor is to this beer. Does it come across strong or just a hint? Also, what coconut flavor , either an extract or Malibu rum, etc... have people used, aside from racking onto coconut in secondary. I plan to add rum and the coconut flavor during bottling.

I added about 1/2 and 1/2 of Malibu and Appleton estates rum. I think that the Appleton estates adds a harshness to the beer, so I'd lean towards more Malibu or maybe switch to a captain Morgan's rum instead. I also made some without rum at bottling and found it very good as well.

Ingredients

Mash Profile

Carbonation and Storage

Notes

I used this as an all grain. Id say that .91 lbs of black patent is way too much. Its very burnt, although it has mellowed with time, id use 3/4 or even 1/2. It changes the brew substantially from the original. Its still drinkable just very dark and bitter. It overwhelms the rsst of the flavors.

Ingredients

Mash Profile

Carbonation and Storage

Notes

I used this as an all grain. Id say that .91 lbs of black patent is way too much. Its very burnt, although it has mellowed with time, id use 3/4 or even 1/2. It changes the brew substantially from the original. Its still drinkable just very dark and bitter. It overwhelms the rest of the flavors.

So what was the vote for the best rum, I am about to start this and was thinking 750 ml Captain Morgans Parrot Bay and 750 ml Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum. Any other suggestions?

I've used coconut rum (prob doesn't matter which) and Captain Morgan's Special reserve. Its pretty smooth. I tried Appletons the first time round but it was a bit too harsh. I've found I have to really like the rum on its own and Cpt Morgans does the trick for me.

Its all what you like.

:mug:

Back