Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of flavored cigars, has anyone tried the Drew Estate Java cigar? I had one over New Years. OMG! That was the best thing I've ever touched! Had it with two cups of decent coffee, and it was magical.

Speaking of flavored cigars, has anyone tried the Drew Estate Java cigar? I had one over New Years. OMG! That was the best thing I've ever touched! Had it with two cups of decent coffee, and it was magical.

Sounds magical!

The Java was my gateway into non-flavored cigars. Can't handle them now, but glad they pulled me in. Nothing like making time to relax.

It did smoke real cool, and the filter chamber that you put more tobacco in seemed to add more room note to the smoke, especially on the retro hale. Same tobacco, same packing, same pace my Peterson smoked hot.
Was way easy to clean too.

Yes, Summertime approaching quickly. I bought my girlfriend a hookah two years ago for Christmas, and I gave up cigarettes last year. Will smoke cigars with some buddies when they come over for some brews. Contemplating buying a pipe and some tobacco though. Saw a video on it the other day, and seems to be quite relaxing. Any tips where to start?

^^If you want to give pipe smoking a shot but not dump much money - try a corncob pipe, theyre very inexpensive, dont really need broke in much and smoke cool. Pipe tobacco - man, the variety is vast. Try an old favorite, Prince Albert. Very mild and cool smoke.

^^If you want to give pipe smoking a shot but not dump much money - try a corncob pipe, theyre very inexpensive, dont really need broke in much and smoke cool. Pipe tobacco - man, the variety is vast. Try an old favorite, Prince Albert. Very mild and cool smoke.

Agree with you on the corn cob. They smoke surprisingly cool. Another HBT member made me one, and it easily one of my favorite pipes.

Agree with you on the corn cob. They smoke surprisingly cool. Another HBT member made me one, and it easily one of my favorite pipes.

Thanks guys. I'm excited to give it a try.

http://corncobpipe.com/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html

Corn cob pipes are great. Out of the drug store brands I would go with carter hall. I'm not a fan of the others. See if any of the smoke shop places around town sell bulk pipe tobacco. They're usually $3 an ounce or so.

Holy pipe smoke! This thhread still kicking after three years.

My wishes were for this thread to be informative and fun. Thanks to all for keepng this talk going.

Cheers!

Holy pipe smoke! This thhread still kicking after three years.

My wishes were for this thread to be informative and fun. Thanks to all for keepng this talk going.

Cheers!

Thank you! I saw a video on youtube of a home brewer I follow smoking a pipe, and I immediately thought of seeing this thread. Figured it was a good place to come to go to get started :) Actually, I went to the store to buy a pipe, and ended up walking out with $40 of tequila. Oops.

I agree, Carter Hall is a decent OTC pipe tobacco that is basic and offers nothing impressive other than a decent basic smoke that doesn't "bite" badly.

Bite. That is the key quality of a decent smoke and one that is poor and undesirable. A good pipe smoke should never bite.

Really good smokes have flavors that are rich and interesting and that develop in the bowl while you smoke them. They can be either mild or strong in their nicotine punch, but that is something totally separate from their "bite". Uneducated pipe smokers often confuse "bite" with the strength of the tobacco. This is wrong. Good tobacco does not bite at all. It may be very strong, or very mild. The "bite" has nothing to do with this. "Bite" is the burning acidic effect that drawing the pipe has in your mouth. It hurts. It feels like you are burning holes into your tongue. Good tobacco will not do this to you. Good tobacco will only leave you with flavor, smoke, and aroma that is appropriate for that type of tobacco. Tongue burn, feelings of pain, and any unpleasant experience is the result of inferior poor quality tobacco.

Tobacco smoking via a tobacco pipe is one of the only ways that anyone can truly enjoy tobacco smoking without threat of destroying their health. If done responsibly, you can know and learn the qualities of fine tobacco. Something that cigarette smoking will never reveal. Cigarette smoking is irresponsible and arcane. It's like sucking up mud into your lungs. Common sense tells you this is dumb. Why do it? Pipe smokers never inhale the smoke. There is a reason why pipe smokers don't do this. Mostly, because it's dumb. More importantly, you can't taste the quality of the tobacco once you do inhale it.

Cigarettes are meant to be inhaled deeply. Tobacco pipes are meant to be tasted. Never inhaled. It is little wonder that pipe smokers live for so long when compared to cigarette smokers.

If you want to appreciate tobacco for what tobacco can be, smoke a pipe. Pipe smokers only smoke the best tobaccos. If you want to choke on smoke and die early, take up cigarettes. Cigarettes encourage deep breathing the smoke and they mix other chemicals into the tobacco to make it more "desirable". It's not pure tobacco anymore.

Yeah. Watch how cigarettes are made. Lots of filler that is basically tobacco "paper" that is made with scrap tobacco and soaked in nicotine and other chemicals.

Whew! I was just about to start another pipe smoking thread, similar to The Great HBT Stogie Thread. Luckily I found this one and it seems to have had a good following.

Anyways, I figured I'd resurrect this thread and see if we can bring out the pipe smokers of HBT yet again!

I started smoking cigars back in 2013. I always had an interest in smoking pipes, so a year later, I figured I'd give it a shot. Went to my local drugstore and bought a MM cob and a pouch of CB-White. From that, I kind of stopped smoking cigars frequently and instead reach for my pipe rack instead of my humidor. The rest is history.

I've been trying to smoke through all my ziploc'd tobacco/samples that have been sent to me as gifts from other pipe smokers.

Here's some 2013 Wenceslas by Strauss Tobacconist in my Crown Achievement billiard. A nice aromatic that has a nice nutty and fruity flavor room note. Wish I had more of it...I think it's one of Strauss's seasonal blends. The pipe I got last year during P&C's IPSD sale. It had a stinger originally, but I popped that out right away. I haven't really smoked it and so it still looks and smokes fairly new. Smokes a bit hot, but once it cakes up a bit, it's going to be a fine smoker.

lwDk2MT.jpg

I still tend to prefer my cigars but I do still really enjoy my pipes. I recently went to an antique mall and found a killer barely used meerschaum Dublin with a massive bowl for $14. Used a couple pieces of vodka soaked paper towel to clean out the bowl and a few vodka soaked pipe cleaners, stuffed a half bowl of 2012 Penzance that was a generous gift from a brother from Botl.org and and hour later emptied nothing but ash with a smile on my face.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437623982.226823.jpg

Unfortunately, a few days after that my Dr has found a 2mm nodule on my lower right lung and says I shouldn't smoke anything anymore. Hoping the pulmonologist can give some solid answers and clear me for occasional smoking.

Thank you! It's definitely my favorite pipe even after only one smoke, but the bowl is rather large. It is the best smoker I have though

Glad I found this thread! I remember my grandfather smoking a pipe when i was young and always loving the smell. Been thinking about getting into it myself for the nostalgia, looked at this starter kit http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/samplers/89520/at-the-marquee-club-pipe-kit/#p-172940 any thoughts or advice?

That's actually a really nice deal with some really nice tobaccos. I haven't tried them myself, although I do have unopened tins of the white knight and the black house. These haev latakia in it, which means it might have some smokey qualities to it (think bonfire, camp fire, bbq smoke). If you're not a smoker, it might take some getting used to.

If you've got the money for it, go for it. But if you're just wanting to test the waters and not want to blow $60 right off the gates, get a missouri meerschaum cob pipe and a tin of something that sounds good to you.

I'm a huge pipe-smoker. I go back and forth as to whether I enjoy collecting and smoking or brewing and drinking more. I think I've got a link to my youtube pipe channel below. I've recently been adding some artisan pipes to my collection while thinning out the herd of factory pipes. I'm glad I found this thread!

I agree to start out with a cheap cob pipe to get the feel for the pipe and the tobacco. In my experience the aromatics are usually not very tasty but they smell good (sutliff molto dulce is the one exception I have found, highly recommend.) and the tobaccos that don't smell as good tend to taste better. It's a very broad generalization and there are always exceptions. Peter Stokkebye bulk blends smoke above their price point in my opinion and you can order as little as an ounce at a time to have a nice variety of things to try without committing to lots of different tins. I also highly recommend ordering some Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River which can be bought in bulk as well and is a damn fine English Blend.

Man I am really wanting to pack a bowl of something now!!!

I'm a huge pipe-smoker. I go back and forth as to whether I enjoy collecting and smoking or brewing and drinking more. I think I've got a link to my youtube pipe channel below. I've recently been adding some artisan pipes to my collection while thinning out the herd of factory pipes. I'm glad I found this thread!

Smoke Signals! Didn't know you were a homebrewer! I'm not sure if you know me on youtube, I'm AquilasSmokes. Haven't made a video in a long time. I'll definitely check out your homebrew videos. I see you around the pipe tobacco sub on reddit, but I don't think I've seen you around the homebrewing sub.

I also highly recommend ordering some Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River which can be bought in bulk as well and is a damn fine English Blend.

Man I am really wanting to pack a bowl of something now!!!

Mississippi River is my favorite tobacco. I've got plenty of it, but I'm kinda stingy with it so I don't smoke it often. Haha.

And I"m with you there about packing a bowl right now. I'm sitting here, in front of my computer, in my cubicle, and all I want to do is drink some cold beers and enjoy a pipe. Actually, I might have to do some Mississippi River today. Haha

Lol, when I order it, I get 8oz at a time. Next time will be a pound because the stuff ages wonderfully. Normally I send out noobs a sampler of tobacco that includes that but I am recovering from viral meningitis and with only having short term disability coming in even a SFR box is outta the budget. I do love sharing some good tobacco and helping to open someone's eyes to the joys of piping. I will be devastated if the Drs tell me no more but there will be a firesale if that does happen and while my cellar may not be large, it is quality...

Lol, when I order it, I get 8oz at a time. Next time will be a pound because the stuff ages wonderfully. Normally I send out noobs a sampler of tobacco that includes that but I am recovering from viral meningitis and with only having short term disability coming in even a SFR box is outta the budget. I do love sharing some good tobacco and helping to open someone's eyes to the joys of piping. I will be devastated if the Drs tell me no more but there will be a firesale if that does happen and while my cellar may not be large, it is quality...

Last time I made a big tobacco order, I ordered 8oz of it. This was around the time of my anniversary with my gf and she ended up ordering me 8oz of it behind my back. I like to send a sample, too, of it whenever I do trades with other pipe smokers. Gotta spread the wealth of that Mississippi River! But outside of sharing it, I can't get myself to smoke it often. Only once in a while. I'm currently trying to smoke through all my other tobaccos and I'm saving that for last (if i ever get there...haha).

Sending good vibes your way for some positive results! I feel your anxiety though. My doctor recently diagnosed with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, so he might tell me to lay off the burritos (California Burritos are my favorite things to eat), or even worse, alcohol.

Happy Friday folks! After BrewinHooligan talked about Mississippi River, I've sorta been craving it. Smoking some of it right now in my Dagner Pipes devil anse and its reminding me why I fell in love with it. So sweet and smokey.

Drinking some of my "blonde" ale with it. Still very young as its only been 2 weeks in the bottle, but it's tasting a whole lot better than the week 1 I cracked last week.

Hw5fZ5E.jpg

^^ love it!! I'm a big fan of the Dagner pipes. I want a Hooligan poker like you couldn't believe. Lol. That wooden dish is awesome too. Enjoy in good health brother.

Latest posts

Back