Pinapple juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeJo

Reaction score
Dunno what I got myself into, but decided to try some pineapple juice in with the apple cider I have on the go.

I drew off about a half gallon of actively fermenting cider from my carboy, into a gallon jug, and added a liter ~ of pineapple juice that claimed to have no added sugar, etc.

As it is sorta a side experiment to clear up some space in the carboy for some additions of apple juice and concentrate, I am using the tried and true method of leaving the cap sit somewhat loosely on the jug.

Fermentation has been a bit wilder than the straight apple juice. :)

I was having issues of blowoff and yesterday I pulled the top off and had a layer of yeast paste around the mouth of the jug, that was as thick as peanut butter. Crazy! Cleared that with a clean table knife, and put it back to work...

Anyone done pineapple juice as a major part of a cider before (~ 1/3rd of the juice)?

I understand that there is a pretty solid chance of a hazy drink and a bunch of sediment. Whatever. I was wondering whether it will ferment out and be sour or if the flavors will even last through the process. It certainly smells quite marvelous. But then, apple shampoo does too! :)

TeeJo

It usually smells great. But is super sour. I tried just one frozen concentrate in 3 gallons... but its been in bottles for 4 months and I haven't tried yet. Had some friends who let it sit a year, that stuff wasnt half bad for the first half.

I did essentially the same thing and just bottled. Half gallon cider underway mixed with half pineapple. Yeast went wild and messy for a few days.
It turned out pretty sour. I back sweetened with more pineapple juice and about 2 tsp vanilla extract. It's drinkable but not one I'll repeat.

Yeah, I sorta had visions of trying to picture what it would taste like if the sweet was taken out of the picture, and tart was pretty much what I envisioned.

Dunno. If it's too tart, it'll get the treatment of being plonked into a jug with a can of apple juice concentrate to sweeten it up, chilled cold, and drank anyway.

Crazy action on the yeast again today, lifted the lid and there is a paste cork in the mouth of the jug.

TeeJo

I sampled someone's attempt at pineapple wine once. It's one of the few times I have ever spit something out on the floor. It tasted like pure vomit. Not to say it can't be done right, but I'll never include it in a fermented beverage that I make. Some of my favorite beers are sour and I make and love sauerkraut and kombucha. This stuff was absolutely vile!

Pineapples have been around for a long time. There might be a reason that there isn't any recorded history of fine pineapple wine, ever.

Not that I've ever attempted making any, but I like having some indication that what I'm experimenting with has some historical reference before I dive in. Sure, ketchup and moldy bread might make an alcohol containing liquid, but do I want to make some of this for myself?

Dunno what I got myself into, but decided to try some pineapple juice in with the apple cider I have on the go.

I drew off about a half gallon of actively fermenting cider from my carboy, into a gallon jug, and added a liter ~ of pineapple juice that claimed to have no added sugar, etc.

As it is sorta a side experiment to clear up some space in the carboy for some additions of apple juice and concentrate, I am using the tried and true method of leaving the cap sit somewhat loosely on the jug.

Fermentation has been a bit wilder than the straight apple juice. :)

I was having issues of blowoff and yesterday I pulled the top off and had a layer of yeast paste around the mouth of the jug, that was as thick as peanut butter. Crazy! Cleared that with a clean table knife, and put it back to work...

Anyone done pineapple juice as a major part of a cider before (~ 1/3rd of the juice)?

I understand that there is a pretty solid chance of a hazy drink and a bunch of sediment. Whatever. I was wondering whether it will ferment out and be sour or if the flavors will even last through the process. It certainly smells quite marvelous. But then, apple shampoo does too! :)

TeeJo

I never did get around to trying the recipe in the following thread, but you might find some of the information useful:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/pineapfelwien-80826/
Regards, GF.

Thanks, GF.

That makes it look as it might not be a total train wreck.

The prospect of drinking it really young, per Tepache, does not sound like a bad thing either. I should tap off a small bottle of the stuff and see if this yeast will cold crash out. Crazy yeast growth!

Otherwise, I'm out about $3 in ingredients, and I needed the space in the carboy...Not gonna be a total loss, if I learned something. :)

TeeJo

I dumped a liter or so out into a smaller container and placed it in the fridge for a couple days.

Lots of yeast dropped out, but the swelling of the too-tight lid tells me there is a bunch in there working, even at fridge temps.

Tastes pretty good though! Might not be great when it finishes, but might be finished before that eh?

TeeJo

Mine worked out well. Serve chilled and its a very light and refreshing taste.

I have made a pineapple melomel by racking a plain Jane orange blossom mead onto fresh pressed pineapple juice and pulp. It was not bad but far from great. Pineapple is something that I would stay away from in any fermenting process. If you could manage to keep it really sweet so the sour isn't as prevalent it may be worth it, Pineapples/juice contain roughly 10% sugar. In my opinion that is a lot. So with that much sweetness being fermented out you would have to find a way to get that back with restarting fermentation to maintain the flavor. In the end you end up with a super sweet drink or a wtfroflcopter sour drink. Not my particular cup of tea.

Latest posts

Back