Pilsner recipe - water suggestion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whysomalty

Reaction score
All,

I'm planning my next brewday and I've got some WY2124 that I've already starting building (it's old), and I'd like to brew a German pilsner. I've not brewed many pilsners (lagers in general), so I'm seeking some advice regarding water profiles.

My local water 'looks' like this: 22 Ca, 24 Mg, 27 Na, 65 Cl, 68 SO4, pH 8.9

I was considering just using this water as-is, but as I've read more, I see softer water with less mineral content can be a plus in pilsners. Typically I'll augment our local water with some CaCl and/or Gypsum for most ales. Would you suggest Spring Water? All-grain, FYI.

All,

I'm planning my next brewday and I've got some WY2124 that I've already starting building (it's old), and I'd like to brew a German pilsner. I've not brewed many pilsners (lagers in general), so I'm seeking some advice regarding water profiles.

My local water 'looks' like this: 22 Ca, 24 Mg, 27 Na, 65 Cl, 68 SO4, pH 8.9

I was considering just using this water as-is, but as I've read more, I see softer water with less mineral content can be a plus in pilsners. Typically I'll augment our local water with some CaCl and/or Gypsum for most ales. Would you suggest Spring Water? All-grain, FYI.

i usually boost my sulfate up to 75 and my chloride to 75 or sometimes go higher on the sulfate. it just depends on how dry/crisp you like it. you could use your water as-is and it would taste great no doubt. then, next time you can boost sulfate if you want it to be crisper/drier

Back