Quantcast

Pilsner recipe - water suggestion?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Whysomalty

Reaction score
All,

I'm planning my next brewday and I've got some WY2124 that I've already starting building (it's old), and I'd like to brew a German pilsner. I've not brewed many pilsners (lagers in general), so I'm seeking some advice regarding water profiles.

My local water 'looks' like this: 22 Ca, 24 Mg, 27 Na, 65 Cl, 68 SO4, pH 8.9

I was considering just using this water as-is, but as I've read more, I see softer water with less mineral content can be a plus in pilsners. Typically I'll augment our local water with some CaCl and/or Gypsum for most ales. Would you suggest Spring Water? All-grain, FYI.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
All,

I'm planning my next brewday and I've got some WY2124 that I've already starting building (it's old), and I'd like to brew a German pilsner. I've not brewed many pilsners (lagers in general), so I'm seeking some advice regarding water profiles.

My local water 'looks' like this: 22 Ca, 24 Mg, 27 Na, 65 Cl, 68 SO4, pH 8.9

I was considering just using this water as-is, but as I've read more, I see softer water with less mineral content can be a plus in pilsners. Typically I'll augment our local water with some CaCl and/or Gypsum for most ales. Would you suggest Spring Water? All-grain, FYI.
i usually boost my sulfate up to 75 and my chloride to 75 or sometimes go higher on the sulfate. it just depends on how dry/crisp you like it. you could use your water as-is and it would taste great no doubt. then, next time you can boost sulfate if you want it to be crisper/drier