Pilsner Malt Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking at getting a 50lb bag of Pilsner to make a Tripel and Saison, and found really varying prices. The one I want to get is the cheaper on (naturally) but want to make sure its still quality for what I want to make.

This one is listed at only $40!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...rce=criteo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=c-prod

There are also 3 other choices on NB for this malt; Cargill, Weyermann, and Castle. Those all range from $55-$65 a bag!

Why is there such a price difference? Has anyone used the Rahr version with these styles? Rahr seems to be a good brand, but I am concerned with this huge price difference. Any help is welcome. Thanks!

My recommendation is to spend the extra cash to get a foreign pilsner malt, especially since you're looking brewing those styles. In your case I would opt for the castle or dingemans, but the others should work nearly as well. I think I get a little less grain malt character but a little more sweet from the belgian pilsner malts, and less sweet but a little more grain/grass character from the weyermann and avandard.

Over the course of the number of batches you'll brew with this bag, what's the cost difference per batch between the US rahr and foreign malt?

The main issue, I understand, comes down to differences in both the grain source and the maltster. In Brewing Classic Styles, jamil emphasizes getting continental malts when brewing classic styles from specific regions. The more expensive malts tend to be the imported ones like Weyermann and Crisp.

If you're brewing a Classic American Pils, go with the domestic. For a Czech Pils, go with the import.

My recommendation is to spend the extra cash to get a foreign pilsner malt, especially since you're looking brewing those styles. In your case I would opt for the castle or dingemans, but the others should work nearly as well. I think I get a little less grain malt character but a little more sweet from the belgian pilsner malts, and less sweet but a little more grain/grass character from the weyermann and avandard.

Over the course of the number of batches you'll brew with this bag, what's the cost difference per batch between the US rahr and foreign malt?

I guess it is only about $4 more per 5 gallon batch. I will have to take that into consideration. Thanks!

Wow, $44 for a 55lb bag from Germany. That is looking very appealing. Have you brewed any Belgian style ales with it? It is similar to other Pilsner on the market?

I also picked up a bag of this locally for ~$50. I've brewed a few batches with it and it's solid. Being a german malt, it falls in-line with what I wrote earlier about being less sweet and more grainy. While I've really liked most of the beers I've brewed to-date, my standout favorite is a Düsseldorf Alt brewed with 5 lbs Avangard Pils, 3 lbs Weyermann Munich II, and 2 oz Midnight Wheat - single hop addition at 60 min of 2oz santiam, fermented cool with kolsch yeast.

Check out the thread on avangard and you'll find that not only is it a great malt but it gives huge sugar potential by 5-10% depending on the brewer. This translates to money in your pocket because you don't need to use as much per recipe ;)

Wow, $44 for a 55lb bag from Germany. That is looking very appealing. Have you brewed any Belgian style ales with it? It is similar to other Pilsner on the market?

Yep i have brewed 2 times with it. Its actually a very well known malt but just hit the states not too long ago. It will always come out with a higher OG so just know that. i have brewed a Beligan Golden Strong that I am actually planning to bottle this weekend.

As well, I am set up to use it soon to brew the Allagash Curieux clone. Very good malt in my eyes. I also get them to crush it for me.

I would suggest buying Belgian Pilsner malt since those are the styles you want to brew.

As far as the Rahr Pilsener malt goes, I'm not a fan. I love the Rahr Pale Ale malt so I thought I'd give their pilsener a try. I only brewed one German Pils with it so far but I'm not a fan. I have 40 pounds of it left, so I guess I better learn to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back