Quantcast

PicoBrew Zymatic

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Moinster

Reaction score
I recently picked up a couple well used Zymatics and I have to say I really appreciate this community being here as I refurbish them. Seems like most of the issues I've run into have already been addressed here and the people I've chatted with have been extremely helpful. Looking forward to many successful brews!

Moinster

Reaction score
Best place to get replacement tubing and replacement
inbound8736152306775718324.jpg
fabric for the bottom of the Zymatic? Assuming this is felt? 😁
inbound7573068991152742178.jpg

Definitely enjoying this rehab project.

Mike Howard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any Homebrew supply shop or Amazon will have replacement tubing, just be sure to get thick walled (1/8"), high temp, food grade silicone. I usually get my stuff from MoreBeer, Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies or Austin Homebrew depending upon price and availability.

I'd pull those pump heads apart also to make sure the silicone gaskets are ok. Replacement pumps are available for $30 so I wouldn't hesitate to swap them out. Those pics show a very old version of the pumps and could have been part of the original kickstarter.

Glycol replacement will be a must, but you'll be doing that anyway since you are replacing the tubing. Might be a good time to take out the HEX and either soak it in PBW or just replace it and while your at it, the RIMS may need a good cleaning also. The Picobrew recommended cleaning was a joke.

tarwin

Reaction score
Hey guys
I got my hands of a Zymatic with maybe 20 brew under its belt that has lost its brain (Arduino board was send in to Picobrew). What would you say was the best way to get it going again?

- I looked around for a replacement board but found nothing on the usual places. Maybe someone here has a spare to sell?
- I had a look at Elsinore and Brucontrol. Are there any previous trys to implement either one on a Zymatic?

Cheers, Peter

Mike Howard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@tarwin hold tight for a bit longer, I am in the process of converting the Zymatics over to a Raspberry Pi with a new PCB. Still several weeks out, but a prototype is on the way. The project will be open source, fully plug and play and offer expansions. In fact, here is revision 2.1 I am currently working on:

1599923594310.png

This version will offer two more relays to control external components and one more temperature probe. In the works is adding an expansion connector to access the rest of the unused Raspberry Pi pins to allow further external capabilities.

The software has already been developed and is just awaiting version 1 of the board so I can test it in real life.

tarwin

Reaction score
Mike, I read the last 20 pages of this thread now, thanks for everything you do for this community! :D

The new software and pcb really looks great. One question though, you started out with CraftBeerPi3 as I understood and even got the arm to work ... why did you start writing a new node.js tool from scratch?

I'm a member of a local makerspace and know my way around electronics if you need a beta tester. Arduino and Python too (Node not so much). I can source the components and populate the pcb myself if you send one around (which I would gladly pay for of cause). Are you using DirtyPCBs.com?

In the meantime I would love to give the machine an overhaul. Could you send me your manuals as well please? I'm new here so I guess I can't PM you...

thx, Peter

Mike Howard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@tarwin yea, I started out with CraftbeerPi3 but that project appears to be dead and it has a lot of bugs which I didn't want to have to track down right now. I do still plan to revisit it in the future, as I already have all of the actors created and some specialized code. However, I stumbled across Node-Red and it has a lot of traction in the brewing community already. I also figured Node-Red would allow most any person with a reasonable skillset to understand and modify the code.

I'll PM you so I can send the teardown procedures.