PicoBrew Zymatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if this has been answered. Is it possible to do a 5 gallon batch if you have a 10 gallon keg? I thought I saw a post that sad that but can't find it. Thinking of pulling the trigger with the Denny discount. Thanks in advance!

The grain or keg capacity is not really the limiting factor, it is the power of the electric heater. The Zymatic would not be able to maintain boil temperature of the 6+ gallons needed for a 5 gallon batch. Also you would need a keg parka to fit the 10 gal keg.

I have found the easiest way to make a 5 gallon batch is to just run 2 batches. Make 2.5 gal, transfer to a fermenting container with co2 and pitch. Then run it again and put the cooled wort in the fermentor as well.

Are you sure? If the graingather can boil 5+ gallons with a 1600 watt heater, I'd think the 1500 watt heater of the zymatic could hold the temp. It would certainly require insulation, but seems doable.

Are you sure? If the graingather can boil 5+ gallons with a 1600 watt heater, I'd think the 1500 watt heater of the zymatic could hold the temp. It would certainly require insulation, but seems doable.

I think if anything the would have an easier time since it only has to heat what's in the heat exchanger, rather than the full volume at once.

Thanks for the info. Leaning towards taking the plunge. Brew days have gotten fewer and further apart with kids. Cheers [emoji482]

Just do it. Honestly I was almost done with home brewing until my Z purchase. Now I'm all in again and have to give it to the focus on formulating recipes and 2.5 gallon batches. Cleaning equipment and watching a mash or boil is for the birds, ain't nobody got time for that.

Just remember to use the ZYMDENNY code for $200 off and free shipping, it expires tomorrow.

Pulled the trigger and ordered one yesterday. My interest has slowly been waning the last couple years due to two small children and how rushed a brew day felt when I could squeeze one in. This is exactly what I need at this point in my life and I figure maybe I can sell my eHERMS rig and recoup a good amount of the cost.

Just got my shipping notice about a half hour ago. This has probably been asked and answered, but is there a way to access their forums while I wait for it to arrive?

is there a way to access their forums while I wait for it to arrive?

Theres a side door if you log in on the picobrew.com website and then navigate to https://picobrew.com/Forum/ in the same browser session.

Honestly, you're not missing anything. Joining the picobrewers Facebook group has more activity/discussion.

Just realized that my zymatic makes things easy enough that I ought to start using grain for yeast starters and stop buying expensive malt extract.

I just attempted to place an order using the coupon code and I'm getting "ZYMDENNY is not a valid coupon." I wonder if their server expired it at the end of 12/31/16 Greenwich Mean Time instead of Pacific Time. I contacted them on their website and asked them to honor the coupon still.

I just attempted to place an order using the coupon code and I'm getting "ZYMDENNY is not a valid coupon." I wonder if their server expired it at the end of 12/31/16 Greenwich Mean Time instead of Pacific Time. I contacted them on their website and asked them to honor the coupon still.

I was going to post something on Friday to tell people not to procrastinate on their purchase but I just didn't get around to it. Sorry!!

Theres a side door if you log in on the picobrew.com website and then navigate to https://picobrew.com/Forum/ in the same browser session.

Honestly, you're not missing anything. Joining the picobrewers Facebook group has more activity/discussion.

Thanks for this. Was able to get in and check it out. I tend to avoid Facebook and was hoping to see if anyone had tried to use pin locks.

Thanks for this. Was able to get in and check it out. I tend to avoid Facebook and was hoping to see if anyone had tried to use pin locks.

Pin locks are fine but you lose the use of the cool fast fermentation adapter that removes the need for any kind of airlock.

+1 on the customer service comments below. I have been blown away by the awesome way they look after their customers :rockin:
I registered to say this as I have received good customer service from PicoBrew last week with my Zymatic. I bought my machine barely used from an original Kickstarter purchaser. So I had an early version of the step filter that cracked in the dishwasher. I emailed customer support offering to buy another step filter but they actually shipped one the next day to me for free despite being the second owner of an out of warranty Zymatic.

So yes it seems they have slowed on updates, and may be working on a second revision, but the support is still above and beyond anything I have had before, and the machine still makes great beer. It would be nice though that if PicoBrew ever decided not to support the machine, they would pledge to open source the code so I could fix it myself. The worry with things that need a connection to some remote API is what happens when that is discontinued? The Zymatic cannot work offline.

I think I can get it extended. I'll let ya know.

I've just started brewing again so sorry for the 'dumb' question but if I read this correctly, the Zymatic combined with the KegSmarts would control the process from start to finish with the exception of adding yeast?

I've just started brewing again so sorry for the 'dumb' question but if I read this correctly, the Zymatic combined with the KegSmarts would control the process from start to finish with the exception of adding yeast?

Depending on how clear you like your beer (and how concerned you are with chilling post-"boil") then possibly. All KegSmarts adds is fermentation and serving temperature control (and - to be fair - tracks a ton of additional data).

If you are concerned with chilling post boil, you would need to add a chiller like the CornyPillar from JaDeD. If you are concerned with clarity, you would need a filtering apparatus and separate serving keg.

The only additional step is cleaning - but you'll run into that regardless.

Depending on how clear you like your beer (and how concerned you are with chilling post-"boil") then possibly. All KegSmarts adds is fermentation and serving temperature control (and - to be fair - tracks a ton of additional data).

If you are concerned with chilling post boil, you would need to add a chiller like the CornyPillar from JaDeD. If you are concerned with clarity, you would need a filtering apparatus and separate serving keg.

The only additional step is cleaning - but you'll run into that regardless.

Thanks for the response. I forgot about cooling the wort so cornyPillar would do that. What type of filtering apparatus are you suggesting?

Sorry again, my brewing experience is Mr. Beer (and that probably doesn't count) in the 1980's and 3 batches in the past month. I'm closing in on retirement and looking for a winter hobby. I've got a lot of work to do on the processes before I purchase something like this but I'm very interested in the idea of consistent batches.

I don't Filter and most brews drop pretty clear. If you want clear Gelatin or Biofine work great.

Gotcha, thanks. Not too worried about clarity at this point but good to know.

How are you cooling the wort?

I switched to Annie's inside-out method. Cuirculate the wort through a chiller coil standing in a bucket of ice. Now cool a 3 gallon batch in 15-20 minutes. (apologies for the sideways view, the original was the correct way up)

I put the keg in a tub of Ice water for the chill phase. takes about 45 min to get 3.5 gallons to 64F, and oxygenates the crap out it.

20161231_152534.jpg

I switched to Annie's inside-out method. Cuirculate the wort through a chiller coil standing in a bucket of ice. Now cool a 3 gallon batch in 15-20 minutes. (apologies for the sideways view, the original was the correct way up)

Do you run it that way through the whole brewing process, or do you connect/disconnect the chiller when appropriate?

How long do the orders take? Ordered 12/31 with the special and haven't heard anything.

I ordered mine on the 29th and it shipped on the 30th. Unfortunately, with the holiday slowing things down, it isn't slated to arrive until the 9th when I'll be out of town for a few days. I can only guess they must have had a run on orders at the end of the year and run out of some component.

I connect for an extra 5 minutes of boil, to sanitize the coil, then leave it on for the cooling and the post brew rinse runs. In the advance editor I add an extra pause and 5 minutes of boil. Thenj when the chill pause occurs, I add ice to the bucket and away we go.

Stefan

Do you run it that way through the whole brewing process, or do you connect/disconnect the chiller when appropriate?

Did anyone see the announcement of their new system? 5-15 gallons!

Here's the press release. I'm very curious about the price!

SEATTLE, Jan. 6, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- PicoBrew, manufacturer of the world's first automatic all-grain craft beer brewing appliances announced today the development of a line of commercial craft beer brewing appliances for bars and restaurants that leverages their patented and award winning "modernist beer brewing technology". The products, code-named "Indy" will be available in 2017.

"Our early prototypes of commercial-scale craft brewing equipment have garnered considerable interest in the industry," said Dr. Bill Mitchell, CEO, PicoBrew. "In 2013 we pioneered the production of great craft beer at home with our award winning Zymatic® and this year made it even more convenient and affordable with our newly released Pico™, so it just makes sense that bars and restaurants would want to take advantage of our technology for their own hyperlocal production of custom craft beer they serve."

PicoBrew has partnered with over 150 craft breweries from around the world, and Indy customers could join this Pico Brewers Network to brew great beers from around the world, or brew their own recipes designed from scratch utilizing the PicoBrew BrewCrafter tool. PicoBrew's BrewCrafter allows both expert brewers and complete brewing novices to brew great beer. It provides guidance along the way, suggesting a balanced mix of ingredients to ensure creation of a delicious beer recipe. PicoBrew's software tool suite makes managing a collection of Indy brewing appliances simple and approachable as well.

Indy products are automated, IoT, beer brewing appliances capable of brewing from five gallon to fifteen gallons of craft beer in 3-4 hours, with a grain-to-glass serving time of about a week, depending on the recipe. Indy sports a modern design aesthetic and rugged stainless cases designed for under-counter placement. Some models allow for direct water connections, while others enable separate water-keg supplies.

PicoBrew is the holder of 5 patents with over a dozen pending. They are a three-time recipient of prestigious CES Innovation Awards, an IFA best-of -show winner and this week were announced as a finalist for the annual "Last Gadget Standing" competition at CES 2017, where PicoBrew CEO Bill Mitchell will compete live on stage for audience applause and the coveted title (Saturday, January 7 10:30 a.m. to noon, LVCC, North Hall, Room N257).

PicoBrew's retail products are available for purchase at www.picobrew.com and the Pico is available online at Bloomingdale's, Sur La Table, Williams-Sonoma, Best Buy, Frontgate and Amazon. Please contact PicoBrew Inc directly for sales of the Indy product line. Indy is available in 110v or 220v options for domestic and international users.

Did anyone see the announcement of their new system? 5-15 gallons!

Here's the press release. I'm very curious about the price!

SEATTLE, Jan. 6, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- PicoBrew, manufacturer of the world's first automatic all-grain craft beer brewing appliances announced today the development of a line of commercial craft beer brewing appliances for bars and restaurants that leverages their patented and award winning "modernist beer brewing technology". The products, code-named "Indy" will be available in 2017.

"Our early prototypes of commercial-scale craft brewing equipment have garnered considerable interest in the industry," said Dr. Bill Mitchell, CEO, PicoBrew. "In 2013 we pioneered the production of great craft beer at home with our award winning Zymatic® and this year made it even more convenient and affordable with our newly released Pico™, so it just makes sense that bars and restaurants would want to take advantage of our technology for their own hyperlocal production of custom craft beer they serve."

PicoBrew has partnered with over 150 craft breweries from around the world, and Indy customers could join this Pico Brewers Network to brew great beers from around the world, or brew their own recipes designed from scratch utilizing the PicoBrew BrewCrafter tool. PicoBrew's BrewCrafter allows both expert brewers and complete brewing novices to brew great beer. It provides guidance along the way, suggesting a balanced mix of ingredients to ensure creation of a delicious beer recipe. PicoBrew's software tool suite makes managing a collection of Indy brewing appliances simple and approachable as well.

Indy products are automated, IoT, beer brewing appliances capable of brewing from five gallon to fifteen gallons of craft beer in 3-4 hours, with a grain-to-glass serving time of about a week, depending on the recipe. Indy sports a modern design aesthetic and rugged stainless cases designed for under-counter placement. Some models allow for direct water connections, while others enable separate water-keg supplies.

PicoBrew is the holder of 5 patents with over a dozen pending. They are a three-time recipient of prestigious CES Innovation Awards, an IFA best-of -show winner and this week were announced as a finalist for the annual "Last Gadget Standing" competition at CES 2017, where PicoBrew CEO Bill Mitchell will compete live on stage for audience applause and the coveted title (Saturday, January 7 10:30 a.m. to noon, LVCC, North Hall, Room N257).

PicoBrew's retail products are available for purchase at www.picobrew.com and the Pico is available online at Bloomingdale's, Sur La Table, Williams-Sonoma, Best Buy, Frontgate and Amazon. Please contact PicoBrew Inc directly for sales of the Indy product line. Indy is available in 110v or 220v options for domestic and international users.

Until they tighten up their software game on the Z, and take care of their original customers, I can't recommend their systems to anyone.

Eliminates the middle man distributor and lets a pub become a micro brew pub without needing the expense of a master brewer. Automated inventory management may also have big appeal.

Kuerig is expensive and you'll never convince a coffee aficionado its good coffee, but they sure infiltrated the coffee market in a big way.

Interesting.

Now this is a game changer for Brewie. If they are able to get the Indy on the market quickly and have positive reviews by users, some of us who are waiting to buy a Brewie just might change our mind.

Back