PicoBrew Zymatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josh - off the current topic, but do you you have a Beersmith equipment profile you use for your 'Z' that you could share?
+1 on that request, especially since Josh seems to also calculate water. I use BS for initial recipe building, then transfer to the PB RC for the final calculations of water, and the advanced editing. I have to use the latter as every brew now needs a pause at the end of the boil to connect and sanitize (5 min boil) my chiller.

TIA
Stefan

3. Recipe crafter: My opinion, and my opinion only is it's kind of a mess. I stopped using it except to manage the steps in the advanced editor after about a 6 batches. I'll load some data to make it look pretty so i don't get confused when brewing. i'm using beer smith to build my recipes, water volumes, etc. The advanced editor bug annoys me to no end since it's so insidious. you really don't know you've done anything to break your recipe steps until either you A) double check or B) are in the middle of a brew and it does something you're not expecting and you've got to try and recover.
-J
As requested , can you share your BS profiles, please?
Stefan

Thanks.. those were the ones I had found too so glad to know we're on the same page. The recipe crafter doesn't match the numbers though. In your experience do the numbers the recipe crafter spits out end up closer or the numbers calculated by beersmith?

Thanks.. those were the ones I had found too so glad to know we're on the same page. The recipe crafter doesn't match the numbers though. In your experience do the numbers the recipe crafter spits out end up closer or the numbers calculated by beersmith?

I could, except that it probably wouldn't work directly for you. I'm using a SS Brewtech mini brew bucket in place of the keg when running the system.

The key factors I played with were:

Brewhouse Efficiency - 65%
Lauter tun losses - .11 gallons
Boil off - 0.00 gallons (sub boiling makes the volume loss negligible)
Calculate boil volume automatically - checked
batch volume - 2.5 gallons (I keg to 2.5 gallon kegs, so when after fermenter losses i'm right about where I want to be)

Fermenter volume and batch volumes are the only items you'd have to change. I'd recommend measuring your keg directly for fermenter losses and obviously you could tweak your batch sizes a little bit each way.

It's worked pretty good for me.

-Josh

Ha! That's actually exactly what I plan on doing! I've got a mini ready to roll! Do you usually use the same amount of water for every batch or do you target a specific mash thickness?

Ha! That's actually exactly what I plan on doing! I've got a mini ready to roll! Do you usually use the same amount of water for every batch or do you target a specific mash thickness?

Full volume every time. The Pico handles "mash thickness" by the constrained volume of the step filter. In that ways it's like a BIAB set up.

As for using the mini brew bucket with the Z the single best thing i did with mine was get a second base for it. One on the brew stand, one in the fermentation chamber...

Picked my Zymatic up from UPS yesterday and gave the Pico Pale a whirl his morning. I'll hold off complete judgement until I have a few batches under my belt, but I see a very short life for my eHERMs before it gets sold off.

My big worry going in was that the Zymatic is about as far in the house from the Wifi router as possible and the signal can get pretty weak at times, so I didn't know if it would keep chugging along if the signal dropped. In fact it dropped for about 3 minutes during the boil or at least I assume it did because there was a gap in data points.

Cleanup was a breeze. A couple oz of carmelized wort needed to be cleaned off the back of the housing after removing the step tray, so I'm assuming a bit leaked while the arm was moving. I'll take it any day over my normal cleanup.

Time to start converting my old recipes over.

Full volume every time. The Pico handles "mash thickness" by the constrained volume of the step filter. In that ways it's like a BIAB set up.

As for using the mini brew bucket with the Z the single best thing i did with mine was get a second base for it. One on the brew stand, one in the fermentation chamber...

Great minds! I picked up an extra base when I bought a couple of minis... so 3 gallons each batch.

it seems many of the recipes call for starting water volumes just over 3.5 gal. How do you use the mini in place of the keg? And did you add corny fittings to the mini or make connection another way?

thanks,
Mark

I could, except that it probably wouldn't work directly for you. I'm using a SS Brewtech mini brew bucket in place of the keg when running the system.

That was one question I had that I couldn't seem to answer by searching on the web. How do you use your SS fermenter with the Pico attachments? Do you just drop a diptube in there and pull it out when done?

Can you share a pic perhaps?

Search for Zymatic brewpi and Josh's thread should show up (its titled 'Picobrew + BrewPi Set up')... I'd link to it, but I don't see how to do that from the mobile app.

A couple oz of carmelized wort needed to be cleaned off the back of the housing after removing the step tray, so I'm assuming a bit leaked while the arm was moving.

When the wifi drops and reconnects, the fluid arm somewhat goes spastic as it tries to assess where everything is. This usually results in wort on the step filter lid. The first time i saw this happen I almost went into full on "Oh Sh!&" mode. That's likely what you're seeing too.

So glad this thread has gotten through the bitching so we can actually talk about brewing with the Z again.

Here's a link the my other thread on using the mini-brew bucket. I'm far from the first so if others have info/experiences to share that would be awesome..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=575610

So as not to fully thread jack here, i'll drop my answers to your questions over on the other thread.

The mini brew bucket isn't as fool proof as the set up Picobrew did with the keg as the vessel, but for me the benefits are worth it. YMMV. If you want absolute certainty on overflows, positively water tight connections, etc stick with the system as delivered. If you want a bit more flexibility, easier clean up (IMHO) and easier ability to add adjuncts, take a look at it. Plus I think the mini brew bucket just looks sweet as part of the set up!

-J

When the wifi drops and reconnects, the fluid arm somewhat goes spastic as it tries to assess where everything is. This usually results in wort on the step filter lid. The first time i saw this happen I almost went into full on "Oh Sh!&" mode. That's likely what you're seeing too.

So glad this thread has gotten through the bitching so we can actually talk about brewing with the Z again.

Thanks for the heads up. That's reassuring considering it was first batch. Went out and ordered a WiFi booster, so hopefully won't run into the situation again.

I get it. Perhaps it's the whole text versus in person thing - but the tone of the complaints really comes across as aggressive displeasure - and may be turning off people to a great device. I don't think that does anyone a service. Now, if there are some who really are interested in the Z because of the potential for open sourcing the software - then so be it, but the way I perceive your issues is that you are pissed at the whole thing. By all means have your opinions, but perhaps framing them in the context of the big picture for others would be the best course of action. I for one bought the machine for what it was out of the box - not based on its potential dependent on future upgrades etc. The thing makes wort - and does it well - that's what I want. Also, customer service - when I buy a computer (similar price lets say) I do not get, nor do I expect anywhere near the degree of CS that this company has provided. Again, keep things in perspective - and don't let their great track record in the past for CS be held against them as they occasionally can't live up to their own lofty standards.

Dr. Fly, you're right - to a point :tank:. Pure text responses can certainly come across as abrasive - especially when one is trying to make a point. I'm not going to beat around the bush, or make a standard disclaimer on points that I have made at least once, but more likely several other times:
1) The system is great and functions fine as is - I'm brewing right now and have plans to clean the garage, make quiche, do laundry & clean kegs this afternoon - which is super swell
2) There is currently nothing else lie it on the market, from an automation standpoint, that one can buy and have within a couple of weeks
3) A company like this cannot survive on Z sales alone
3a) the level of CS they provide (email support, replacement parts when step filters crack, etc.) is not cheap
3b) I understand they need to release other, higher/continuous revenue products to remain solvent

But when their oldest product, and original customers, get (at most) empty promises, I'd say someone is likely to be displeased. Keeping this all localized to their forum is the ideal outcome for them (like Stone said below)- crossing my fingers and playing nice hasn't accomplished anything.

Baja has a lengthy thread on here that spans a few years. I don't know him or want to speak for him, but what I get out of his posts is that this is a great machine, that their CS is good if not great, that it may have started to slip a bit (or as others have said, they are busy), they made promises 3 years ago that have not come to fruition, and they are not updating the software as often as he believes they should. When making my recent decision to purchase one, I took all that into account and still ordered the machine. I think the purpose of this forum is to hear all sides, the pros and the cons, so that we can think about what we really want out of the product and decide if that is what we are going to get. What I want is a machine that makes wort with consistency and with less interaction from me as I want to make beer but don't have as much time as I used to. I am also for pushing the folks at Pico to live up to their promises and support the software on this device, because it COULD be better with some work. If they don't do that, it won't be the end of the world, but in the end I think the more they can do to support the development of the product, the more loyal their user base will be and the more successful they will be. It sounds to me from the overwhelming majority of folks here that they really want to (do!) support this device, so I am hopeful that they will listen to the community's feedback like they did to a certain home brewer of the year award winner and keep improving the product. If not, we will still make beer and can RDWHAHB.

Stone, you're pretty much spot on in your assessment of my stance - but you have read my thread and it may have helped you make a decision, or not - but the information in that thread is the same way I make my purchasing decisions, so I figured I might as well put it out there. If I was some vindictive consumer bent on getting my way, I'd go back and change every post to "The Z sucks, lulz" - and take to Reddit and every other platform and do the same. I'm not - I'm trying to have a discussion, and it appears I'm not alone in my concerns.

I don't work there, which is why I asked Annie to step in here. You were making statements about their intentions with such certainty that I wondered how you were able to reach those conclusions. I'm not any happier with the Recipe Crafter than you (or the Picobrew people for that matter) but for me it's not a deal breaker in terms of usability. In fact, it seems like that's the case for most people. And it certainly doesn't make me question their motives, which is what I sensed with you.

Denny, I'm not going to get into mincing words with you here - but if you take an unbiased look at what I said and take into account what Picobrew has been saying they were going to do vs what they have done, you might see see things the same way: the lack of the development on the Z is disconcerting. When actions speak louder than empty promises on their own forum, and the time scale stretches into YEARS - I think certain conclusions can be drawn.

Like many things on the InterWeb, people quickly assume intent, meanings, etc, that would probably not be done in a face to face meeting. Let us be very clear. The Z DOES do what we expect, the customer service HAS been stellar, even if some people say the responsiveness dropped some (and Annie has cleared up that point). We HAVE had updates to the Z over the last couple of years, so burning and not so burning issues have been resolved.

However, I think that a number of people in the user community have been disappointed because the expectation had been set that one very inconvenient issue was going to be resolved "soon". When you hear "coming soon" for over a year, some frustration does set in. When people are frustrated, other much smaller issues, e.g. open source, get magnified. A flame war, where this thread is trending, is not going to solve anything.

I trust PB to do the right thing. I understand that the Pico machine is important to PB's future but may have taken more of their resources than expected. I am glad to hear that they are bolstering their CS ranks, that will help. I AM concerned that the announcement of another product will continue to divert focus from the Z. My call for open source was to allow the user community to contribute to resolving some of the issues and requests, without overloading their development staff. Our concerns have been raised quite publicly, so I am sure that PB is aware. Let us be patient and allow them a bit more time to address the issue, especially now they have seen how much the frustration has risen.

Stefan

We're on the same page, except for the last little bit (emphasis mine) - How much more time? The Z has been out for 2 years. They've gone to market with 2 more products in that time (see disclaimers at top of post) and have only delivered one step above bug-fix updates. Whats to say they're not brushing up the Pico until the new Indy hits critical in the development path, and we're having this discussion again a year from now?

Neat emergent tip for the zymatic: if you're trying to take a bigger sample from the port, for pH testing say, instead of using their syringe multiple times you can just screw the syringe on, then pull out the plunger while holding a cup underneath the tube - wort will just flow into your cup until you unscrew the syringe.

Also: I'm liking that the zymatic's gravity estimates have been bang-on.

I'm currently watching a 5gallon batch boil as I make dinner. 2 gal are gonna get pulled halfway through the boil to freeze for later use as stir starter wort, and the other 3 gal's making me a belgian blonde recipe :)

Also: I'm liking that the zymatic's gravity estimates have been bang-on.

Unfortunately, I've found this not to be the case, but admittedly this may be due to my grain mill settings.

Going to try switching to use BeerSmith instead of the PicoBrew recipe builder and see if that helps, and then I'll look into adjusting the gap on the mill.

Unfortunately, I've found this not to be the case, but admittedly this may be due to my grain mill settings.

Going to try switching to use BeerSmith instead of the PicoBrew recipe builder and see if that helps, and then I'll look into adjusting the gap on the mill.

I'd say it's definitely your mill quality then. My OG's have been so accurate they're almost spooky. Except that one time I milled way too fine and stuck mashed.

I'm currently watching a 5gallon batch boil as I make dinner. 2 gal are gonna get pulled halfway through the boil to freeze for later use as stir starter wort, and the other 3 gal's making me a belgian blonde recipe :)

I'm guessing you manage that size by supplementing with dme or lme in a larger vessel? I've got a 7 gal SS fermenter I was considering modifying but was wondering how well that batch size would come out

I have a question about original gravities and the Z.

I check an OG during the chill phase using the syringe port and a cheapo refractometer with SG scale only. In the past, this was pretty spot on with expected. The last three batches, I've been off by about 10 points. I mill my grain at home with a "barley crusher" and always have the gap set to the factory setting - never has changed.

I brewed a porter (meantime london porter clone from CYBI) with an anticipated OG of 1.060, and hit 1.051. Next was the little bo pils recipe, expected 1.053, I got 1.061. Then yesterday, a saison based off Drew Beechum's experimental saison, anticipated OG 1.053 and I hit 1.045.

Now, all three of these - the crush looked great, the brew session went without a hitch - so part of me wants to blame the cheapo refractometer. I do always check the gravity 3-4 times to be sure I have precision (note - different than accuracy).

Does anyone have advice? I suppose on my next brew I can take enough to do a hydrometer reading, and I could make up some sugar solution of known gravity to test - and I will. The fact that the OGs were off both in the positive and negative makes me go "huh"...

Thanks all.

Are you checking temperature too? If you haven't chilled down to the 70-80s your gravity could be way off. But probably only if you are in the 115 degrees range. Just an idea

Anybody using one of these Arborfab screens with their Z?
http://arborfab.com/PicoBrew-Zymatic-Replacement-Box-Filter_p_96.html

I dont see the need, but that doesnt mean that others, especially those that use a very fine grind. I've only had 1 "stuck mash" over dozens of brews, where the tube from the mash compartment to the hop side got clogged. My last mash drained slowly, since it had ~1lb of flaked oats, but never to a point where I was concerned about overflow.

I'd be interested in seeing a stainless or Al step filter, though I imagine it would command a substantial premium especially as a low volume part!

Are you checking temperature too? If you haven't chilled down to the 70-80s your gravity could be way off. But probably only if you are in the 115 degrees range. Just an idea

It's not a bad idea - as honestly I've totally ignored temps. I figured 1) its supposed to be an ATC refractometer, and 2) a couple of drops should cool very quickly. Perhaps I should let it sit a few minutes first though.

It's not a bad idea - as honestly I've totally ignored temps. I figured 1) its supposed to be an ATC refractometer, and 2) a couple of drops should cool very quickly. Perhaps I should let it sit a few minutes first though.

I found my ATC refractometer worked great when it is warm outside but was way off when it was below 40-45F. I could not keep it calibrated so I started taking a sample inside the house where the meter was nice and warm to take readings. Worked much better that way. Not sure if others have experienced that issue or not.

Can you provide a link to the FB page? My Google Foo only finds the PicoBrew site...

You're correct on #2, but ATC corrects for ambient temp, not sample temp.

What advantage would a stainless step filter have? Just curious...

Hardiness against both physical & chemical stress. The step filter material can't stand up to PBW for example. I've heard that Picobrew drop shipping customers replacement step filter free of charge after they wear out is a thing that happens.

To be honest, the only thing my picobrew needs is a a stainless immersion chiller.

I would love a stainless step filter.

The original step filter I had was the kickstarter version (without black plugs) and developed cracks/started leaking. They replaced it - free of charge - but I'm worried about it cracking again.

I'd also love a "half filter" which would only redirect the passthrough ports for rinsing so that I could streamline my cleaning routine, but admittedly - that's me just being picky.

So my Z arrives tomorrow which means I am brewing tomorrow. I have tweaked and perfected a Zombie Dust clone to my tastes and it will be first to go into my new toy. I crafted the recipe with Beersmith and have brewed it more than a dozen times, from a 2.5G experiment on brew attempt #1 to many 5 and 10 gallon batches. I bottled it one time in a ZD bottle and took it to a bottle share and did not tell anyone that it was really homebrew. I got comments like "fantastic" and "better then I remembered it and I love this beer". So needless to say, if it isn't cloned it is close enough.

Anyhow, I scaled the recipe in BS using the Zymatic files I linked in an earlier post, fiddled with it to get it fit into the exact profile and was really happy with the recipe. I then went onto the Pico website and used the recipe crafter and it was a very different beer with the default mash profile (SG waaaay low), so I used the longer, more efficient profile and whoa did that change the beer. It went from too low SG to way too high SG. So I went into the advanced editor and changed it to match the mash profile I have in Beersmith...and the SG did not change from the too high #. Should I be concerned at all, or is this a known issue with the recipe crafter and just run with it? Really does not match the beer I made in BS as far as SRM, ABV, SG, IBU, etc. Do not take this for a complaint of the recipe crafter, I am just seeking advice to make sure I can dial this in, as I will make a ton of it over time. I am leaning towards just leaving the recipe as BS says to brew it on the Z and see what happens...thoughts?

Pretty much what they said below - I'm concerned about the longevity of my replacement step filter. I think the packing slip included with my replacement was in the $17X region for the replacement (zeroed out, of course.) Should a user begin taking that cost on, having to replace more than one would warrant exploring other options.

The new one seems to be holding up fine, but I didn't see any lead up to the failure in the first one either. I have been staying away from Oxy based cleaners now, though.

Hardiness against both physical & chemical stress. The step filter material can't stand up to PBW for example. I've heard that Picobrew drop shipping customers replacement step filter free of charge after they wear out is a thing that happens.

To be honest, the only thing my picobrew needs is a a stainless immersion chiller.

No concerns about the internals reacting poorly to PBW? I doubt anything inside is like injection molded plastic, but still.

Also, why stainless over copper? Copper is much more thermally conductive.

I would love a stainless step filter.

The original step filter I had was the kickstarter version (without black plugs) and developed cracks/started leaking. They replaced it - free of charge - but I'm worried about it cracking again.

I'd also love a "half filter" which would only redirect the passthrough ports for rinsing so that I could streamline my cleaning routine, but admittedly - that's me just being picky.

I used my cracked filter for cleaning. It only leaks a little :mug:

So first brew with my new Zymatic and seeing things I have questions about. I did a three step mash, doughing in at 132, then raised it to 146 for beta rest. When I doughed in, the step filter was full of wort, top to bottom.
After draining and refilling, the mash seemed to stick or slow down the wort going through the grain. There was about 1/2 inch gap of air between the bottom filter and the bottom of the step filter. Is this abnormal?

I also noticed air being pulled in at times around the syringe port. Anyone else see this or should I contact Pico? Thanks for any advice/answers!

So first brew with my new Zymatic and seeing things I have questions about. I did a three step mash, doughing in at 132, then raised it to 146 for beta rest. When I doughed in, the step filter was full of wort, top to bottom.
After draining and refilling, the mash seemed to stick or slow down the wort going through the grain. There was about 1/2 inch gap of air between the bottom filter and the bottom of the step filter. Is this abnormal?

I also noticed air being pulled in at times around the syringe port. Anyone else see this or should I contact Pico? Thanks for any advice/answers!

I have never concerned myself much with what happens in the step filter the unless I have 9 lbs of grain. But there should be no air leakage in any of the lines.

First - Congrats! Glad you were able to get your first brew in!

When you are asking about it being full top-to-bottom, are you saying that you expected it to pump liquid in and then sit or that you expected the liquid to be below the grain level?

Apologies - Do you mean that there was air below the filter while there was still liquid in the top part (with the grain) or that there was just generally air below the grain (with no liquid above)?

I'm guessing that what you were seeing was air bubbles running through the clear plastic where the syringe port is. If that's the case, then yes -- that's normal. I would expect the pico to leak around this port (liquid exiting, not air entering) if anything given that the pump is "upstream" so to speak. When the pico is draining, it attempts to pull as much liquid as it can from the step filter which ends up with it pulling air in as well.

Thanks for the replies! So my brew night went horribly wrong. I did a three step mash (or attempted to). When I doughed in the machine worked as I expected. When I drained, the step filter did not completely drain leaving about half the space under the grain with wort still in it. When it started recirculating, the mash was too thick for liquid to penetrate (the mash was almost all pale malt) and the dead space under the mash never filled completely with liquid until late in the beta rest. About 40 minutes in, huge bubbles pushed up through the mash and formed channels for the liquid to fill the bottom. At the end of the beta, the machine quit with an Error #1. I turned it off, went into the advanced editor, delete all the steps that had completed, and started the machine again. It chugged away, did my alpha rest, did my mash out, did the boil with my two adjunct steps, and then died with an Error #3 before the pause I put in to setup for a whirlpool. I was so tired by this point I just said screw it, dropped hops into the keg (once it was under 185), buttoned it up and went to sleep. Not sure how this will turn out, but this was a less than expected first brew experience. It seemed to me that the machines pumps struggled due to excess air getting into the "lines", the mash stuck, the machine errored out over and over, etc.

I will go back to the drawing board tonight and do something really simple with a smaller grain bill and less water and using one of the default profiles and see how that goes. Not giving up, but also not happy right now either.

Back