Picobrew Z

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yesterday’s brew session did not go well. I either have a clogged pump or a malfunctioning one.

I changed my mill settings to around .046, and mash was totally dry except for the middle. Then hooked up my corny pillar chiller, after 2 minutes nothing was recirculating. Tried doing a rinse, recirculation. Nothing. Only thing that works is a drain process if I fill the empty step filter with water.

So yesterday’s brew session did not go well. I either have a clogged pump or a malfunctioning one.

I changed my mill settings to around .046, and mash was totally dry except for the middle. Then hooked up my corny pillar chiller, after 2 minutes nothing was recirculating. Tried doing a rinse, recirculation. Nothing. Only thing that works is a drain process if I fill the empty step filter with water.

If you already tried this, sorry.
  1. Clean out the inline filter(black mini-canister like thing) coming off of the black side. The blue cylinder filter can get really clogged up with grain, hops and protein globs.
  2. Use a slotted head screwdriver to unscrew the top, remove and clean both the grey and black ball lock connectors, especially the springs. I've gotten grain bits and hops stuck in those springs many times.
If those don't work, send an email to [email protected].

Good luck.

If you already tried this, sorry.
  1. Clean out the inline filter(black mini-canister like thing) coming off of the black side. The blue cylinder filter can get really clogged up with grain, hops and protein globs.
  2. Use a slotted head screwdriver to unscrew the top, remove and clean both the grey and black ball lock connectors, especially the springs. I've gotten grain bits and hops stuck in those springs many times.

#1 - I would suspect you'd most likely get a fatal error if you didn't have flow.
#2 - is preventable...remove all the springs and poppet valves in both the Z and the Keg you use to brew...makes cleaning your Z a lot easier and allows a full drain of the system. Although it would be rare to see the "Out" side of the keg and connections clogged with grain...

Try running a batch of water....make sure your step filter fills up during the mash step...should probably at least go halfway up.

I had a similar issue. They shipped a unit that had major hoses crossed so one would collapse. They can tell you how to resolve that. It was a pain to get them to acknowledge the issue.

There was a marketing campaign today I referenced on Facebook to get more Z purchase conversion of existing customers (Pico or Zymatic owners) and what was also sent seemingly to previous backers of the Pico Z* campaign, but decided to cancel early. Though now looking at the online email campaign there are no marketing campaigns listed... Likely someone figured out all their emails were visible publicly due to a misconfiguration in the email vendor platform.

Not promising that first wave GA orders were at a massive price deduction (lower than some that backed the preorder campaign)... Likely reason they took it down! Not cool not cool at all.

There was a marketing campaign today I referenced on Facebook to get more Z purchase conversion of existing customers (Pico or Zymatic owners) and what was also sent seemingly to previous backers of the Pico Z* campaign, but decided to cancel early. Though now looking at the online email campaign there are no marketing campaigns listed... Likely someone figured out all their emails were visible publicly due to a misconfiguration in the email vendor platform.

Not promising that first wave GA orders were at a massive price deduction (lower than some that backed the preorder campaign)... Likely reason they took it down! Not cool not cool at all.
I have no idea what you just said.

I did a cleaning cycle, now there’s a leak in the sample port that wasn’t there before. I have tightened it, loosened it, and it leaks no matter what. I’m guessing a crack in the clear part. Should I seal it with food grade silicone glue?

Can confirm I got an email as an early backer but canceler offering me a deep discount. I asked about the Pico Pro Rebate as well and they said they still have one going and will get back to me on the exact amount. If its anything close to $100 for the rebate it puts the Z1 under $1,000.

I did a cleaning cycle, now there’s a leak in the sample port that wasn’t there before. I have tightened it, loosened it, and it leaks no matter what. I’m guessing a crack in the clear part. Should I seal it with food grade silicone glue?
Should be a warranty item, or a cheap part if not under warranty

Just started my first brew about 30 minutes ago. Is there any way to do a first wort hop with this and how do you make that happen?

Can confirm I got an email as an early backer but canceler offering me a deep discount. I asked about the Pico Pro Rebate as well and they said they still have one going and will get back to me on the exact amount. If its anything close to $100 for the rebate it puts the Z1 under $1,000.
So, before rebate, your price was less than $1100?

That is a good bit cheaper than the early backer price,

I bought a Z1 June 24. It shipped the next day. I was surprised given the prior wait times. I guess all the preorders have been shipped?

Mine was $1999 after $750 coupon. $500 more than the preorder I cancelled but that’s okay. I decided I am not the backer type.

Can confirm that a campaign was sent out to all those who cancelled to try and win back customers....not likely though, I'll stick to the BrewBoss.

upload_2019-6-27_11-16-11.png

Don't the Step Filter Grain Screens fit tight enough to prevent that from happening? That was a problem on the Zymatic, but tell me they fixed that on the new Z's?????
The only time mine clogged was when i ground my grains extremely fine, second brew I had done that. I have now done 13 brews total with no problems since.

Have had my Z2 for a couple weeks and logged 3 brews and a cold brew session. Have had zero issues with it. My only beef right now is the online recipe software. Mainly the OG/FG. I was logging a new brew and no matter what mash temp I choose it spits out the same estimated FG. Anyone else seeing this?

Have had my Z2 for a couple weeks and logged 3 brews and a cold brew session. Have had zero issues with it. My only beef right now is the online recipe software. Mainly the OG/FG. I was logging a new brew and no matter what mash temp I choose it spits out the same estimated FG. Anyone else seeing this?
Coming from Beersmith using a grainfather, I would hit my numbers exactly every time. I keep undershooting my gravity with this software . What kind of crush, and what kind of efficiency are you guys getting? I think I calculated 55%, does that seem right? Maybe I should make my crush a little finer?

I bought a Z1 June 24. It shipped the next day. I was surprised given the prior wait times. I guess all the preorders have been shipped?

Mine was $1999 after $750 coupon. $500 more than the preorder I cancelled but that’s okay. I decided I am not the backer type.
I just looked at the z2, and it’s now selling for $5,000. Wow. I’m glad I waited it out.

My guess is they won’t me moving too many units at $5k. Their “sale price” is probably where the price will need to be with holiday prices at the early backer price range to move units. Hopefully their margin can allow that.

Remember that your Picobrew units are nothing more than boat anchors if they ever go out of business, as they are reliant upon the web interface.

Has it delivered and have you brewed with it yet?

Coming from Beersmith using a grainfather, I would hit my numbers exactly every time. I keep undershooting my gravity with this software . What kind of crush, and what kind of efficiency are you guys getting? I think I calculated 55%, does that seem right? Maybe I should make my crush a little finer?

I’ve been using 65% efficiency in Beersmith lately and I’ve been just about right on every time for medium gravity beers. Last lower gravity beer was over so I probably need to adjust for that.

For now, yes....but you know I always have something up my sleeve....bwah ha ha ha ha....

Just need one of us software guys to figure out their API and signing keys... From there you just setup a raspberry pi server and done just cloned Picobrew web interface for local offline brewing.

When I get my unit I'll be pulling up Wireshark and seeing what I can find.

Just need one of us software guys to figure out their API and signing keys... From there you just setup a raspberry pi server and done just cloned Picobrew web interface for local offline brewing.

there are no signing keys - its clear text http

That's been done already by a few folks for the Zymatic, not sure if they changed anything for the Z's... But I am going an easier route...;)

I built a recipe for an APA using the "BETA Crafter". I am surprised by the implied efficiency.

Using a 2.5G batch size the following grain bill leads to 1051 OG.
5.22# American Two Row Pale
0.28# American Crystal 40L

Picobrew's B-52 Blonde Ale has 6.8# of grain to get 1051 OG (according to the Picobrew public recipe database).

So, am I in for a bad experience (low OG) if I brew with the grain bill above?

I'm confused.

I usually get around 70% efficiency on my Zymatic if I'm using the HEMS mash profile and with that grain bill it looks like you would hit the 1.051 target. Can't imagine the new Z's are much different, since they didn't change how it actually works. And with all of the data Picobrew has collected off our machines and recipes, it makes sense that they would be able to dial in the numbers.

I built a recipe for an APA using the "BETA Crafter". I am surprised by the implied efficiency.

Using a 2.5G batch size the following grain bill leads to 1051 OG.
5.22# American Two Row Pale
0.28# American Crystal 40L

Picobrew's B-52 Blonde Ale has 6.8# of grain to get 1051 OG (according to the Picobrew public recipe database).

So, am I in for a bad experience (low OG) if I brew with the grain bill above?

I'm confused.

My OG came out 1046. I think there could be a few culprits.

- One, the recipe crafter makes an assumption about 2-row extraction. I mixed Briess and Viking Malts. I have missed OG multiple times on my Grainfather with both of these. I am just trying to get rid of both.

- Two my crush maybe too tight? I have the mill set for 40 mils. I think the Picobrew recommendation is 42-45 mils. It’s hard to believe that would make a huge difference though. Maybe I am wrong.

I am going to try the High Efficiency Mash. However, the beta recipe crafter only predicts a one SG point improvement over the Single Infusion plus Mash-out that I ended up using.

How do you guys determine what the predicted OG will be on beta crafter ? Are you using the actual OG or max? On beersmith using the zymatic profile, I get numbers way higher on predicted OG than the beta crafter. The max OG on the beta crafter is closer to what my OG is supposed to be on my recipe.

Should I add more grains? I’m just trying to get as close to the OG as close as possible to what the recipe is supposed to be.

My OG came out 1046. I think there could be a few culprits.

- One, the recipe crafter makes an assumption about 2-row extraction. I mixed Briess and Viking Malts. I have missed OG multiple times on my Grainfather with both of these. I am just trying to get rid of both.

- Two my crush maybe too tight? I have the mill set for 40 mils. I think the Picobrew recommendation is 42-45 mils. It’s hard to believe that would make a huge difference though. Maybe I am wrong.

I am going to try the High Efficiency Mash. However, the beta recipe crafter only predicts a one SG point improvement over the Single Infusion plus Mash-out that I ended up using.
I was reading on FB where guys were using .025 on the mill and getting better efficiency with no problems

How do you guys determine what the predicted OG will be on beta crafter ? Are you using the actual OG or max? On beersmith using the zymatic profile, I get numbers way higher on predicted OG than the beta crafter. The max OG on the beta crafter is closer to what my OG is supposed to be on my recipe.

Should I add more grains? I’m just trying to get as close to the OG as close as possible to what the recipe is supposed to be.
In the picture below the Min and Max columns are minimum and maximum gravities, IBU, SRM for the BJCP style. The numbers in the Actual column are predictions for your recipe. The predicted OG for my recipe is 1054 (from the picture). Regarding BeerSmith: your BeerSmith prediction is totally dependent on the equipment profile which has information about volume, predicted efficiency, and system losses. If any of those values are out of agreement with Picobrew BETA crafter’s assumptions then the OG prediction will differ between the two tools. I think it is best to try to hit the BETA crafter number and adjust accordingly on future batches.

IMG_2682.JPG

Last edited:
Back