Picobrew Z

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently waiting for UPS to deliver my Z2.

Has anybody returned their Zymatic for a refund yet?

I contacted them for information about this and was told:

"I know they are working on the final details now and hope to roll it out as soon as they are able to, there is just no hard date as to when at this point.

We are very aware of that need for our Z customers, and we are reminding the team as well. "

Mine is supposed to ship out week of May 11, still haven’t heard anything or gotten a shipping notification. I will be pissed if it gets delayed again, and might just cancel. Anyone in the same boat as me?

Mine is supposed to ship out week of May 11, still haven’t heard anything or gotten a shipping notification. I will be pissed if it gets delayed again, and might just cancel. Anyone in the same boat as me?

Was supposed to have same ship date. Emailed them twice. Crickets....

They always referred to the ship date as a ship week, so hopefully it ships by the end if the week have tried samples from 3 beers I have brewed and happy with the results from my z2

If it gets delayed another month, I’ll probably cancel. If I had known it was going to be 15 months to wait, I would have gotten brewie instead.

For what it's worth I came really close to cancelling for the same reasons and finally got mine last week. I'm impressed. Much nicer than the zymatic. Just brewed an NEIPA this past weekend and it was smooth sailing. Hang in there.

Mine is arriving tomorrow. One thing I am concerned about though is taking delivery before arranging for the Zymatic rebate of $600. When we take delivery of our machines, it lessens the options of recourse if they decide to somehow stiff us on the rebate. I don't expect that to happen but it would be nice if they gave a hard date.

What was your projected ship date? When did you get your shipping confirmation? Mine was May 11th. I still haven’t heard anything.

What was your projected ship date? When did you get your shipping confirmation? Mine was May 11th. I still haven’t heard anything.
Mine was the week of May 11 too and they changed status to shipped on Monday. UPS Ground 7 boxes to NY. Arriving tomorrow.

They pulled the rug out on April 20 and bumped me 3 weeks til now. You'll know tomorrow when they send an update.

Mine was the week of May 11 too and they changed status to shipped on Monday. UPS Ground 7 boxes to NY. Arriving tomorrow.

They pulled the rug out on April 20 and bumped me 3 weeks til now. You'll know tomorrow when they send an update.
All my dates are the same as yours, I just haven’t received any info. I will be extremely pissed if there’s another 3 week delay.

OK machine is now here and I unboxed it and put it together. They weren't kidding about Z2 being independent units. You are shipped 2x Z1s with a box with a 220 power cable splitter being the only differentiation from a Z1.

The machine is beautiful and it appears to be of very high quality. It was a long frustrating wait but it seems worth it. It looks like they addressed all the problems of the Zymatic had. All in all to get 2 machines for what I paid that are high quality made in the USA is not a bad deal. I will be posting detailed stuff about it soon.

Here's my initial thoughts on it vs Zymatic:

• Step filter is very evenly molded rounded polycarbonate. It is thicker than the Zymatic one, and has no sharp edges or difficult casting areas. I suspect it will be far less likely to crack
  • The kegs supplied are identical to the ones with the Zymatic that were also pretty nice.
  • There is now nothing located under the step filter but a piece of sheet metal and a rubber mat with a drain hole. So if it does ever flood, it isn't going to leak into very hard to get to electronics underneath like the old one. The drain hole comes out the side and you can hook a hose up to it to redirect any potential flood.
  • The "brain" of the unit with pumps and heater is very easy to remove and looks easy to disassemble and get to whatever parts need replacing. Also if it ever did need to be shipped back to Picobrew it seems much easier than shipping the entire Zymatic. It has a handle on the back and reminds me of a rack mount server.
In general I was happy with my Zymatic (when it worked) but knew it would never be long term operable with the heat loop issues, and step filters cracking no matter how much care was given.

OK machine is now here and I unboxed it and put it together. They weren't kidding about Z2 being independent units. You are shipped 2x Z1s with a box with a 220 power cable splitter being the only differentiation from a Z1.

The machine is beautiful and it appears to be of very high quality. It was a long frustrating wait but it seems worth it. It looks like they addressed all the problems of the Zymatic had. All in all to get 2 machines for what I paid that are high quality made in the USA is not a bad deal. I will be posting detailed stuff about it soon.

Here's my initial thoughts on it vs Zymatic:

• Step filter is very evenly molded rounded polycarbonate. It is thicker than the Zymatic one, and has no sharp edges or difficult casting areas. I suspect it will be far less likely to crack
  • The kegs supplied are identical to the ones with the Zymatic that were also pretty nice.
  • There is now nothing located under the step filter but a piece of sheet metal and a rubber mat with a drain hole. So if it does ever flood, it isn't going to leak into very hard to get to electronics underneath like the old one. The drain hole comes out the side and you can hook a hose up to it to redirect any potential flood.
  • The "brain" of the unit with pumps and heater is very easy to remove and looks easy to disassemble and get to whatever parts need replacing. Also if it ever did need to be shipped back to Picobrew it seems much easier than shipping the entire Zymatic. It has a handle on the back and reminds me of a rack mount server.
In general I was happy with my Zymatic (when it worked) but knew it would never be long term operable with the heat loop issues, and step filters cracking no matter how much care was given.
Just out of curiosity what day was yours purchased? Mine was Feb.13, 2018. I’m just trying to figure out how far I am behind. Thanks

Just out of curiosity what day was yours purchased? Mine was Feb.13, 2018. I’m just trying to figure out how far I am behind. Thanks
Same day. I believe that was the day they went on sale. I suppose they ship them in order of when you ordered it on that day. Sorry don't know exact time. I would think yours isn't far behind since you were in the same bucket I was.

The update you got last week was it primarily for you or was an update for the whole group with your shipping date included? I haven’t received any updates since 4/20

On the way to a local brewery last week I stopped by their offices (after hours) and peaked in the loading dock window. The entire floor of the room was stacked full of what appeared to be Z’s ready to ship. Got a feeling all will be well soon. :)

Yep, a really long wait. I definitely wouldn’t have sold my system and bought one knowing it was going to take more than 15 months. It will be worth the wait in the end.

I just completed my first run on my Z2. Worked flawlessly. I like that they took away the bottom tray mess that was on the Zymatic. Now it is just rubber. There are still some new features in the utilities that I have yet to figure out. The manual is a bit slim. The new recipe crafter beta is much better, but it would be nice to see more help on the new software.
When I purchased the device, I was expecting one brain, but this is basically just two separate units. It has a group setting, but I have no idea what that means yet. Rinse cycle is like the Pico pro. It also has a racking feature like the Pro, so I am excited to see how that goes.

Just popped into this forum as I am finally (I think) getting close to my Z1 ship date.... it has been some kind of wait.. and still not confident it wont slip again...
I did just have one question for users... as I plan my new setup.
How are people going about cooling wort after the boil?

My 2 options currently are a) to cool in the keg by buying a corny pillar https://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-cornypillar
or b) transfer out of the keg into my current cooling setup...

any recommendations?
I have the Jaded...works very well.

Just got my z and deciding on cooler to go with. I'm between a cheap plate chiller and the cornypillar. With the fine screens and filter in the z I think a plate chiller should not clog. Pros and cons on the two cooler types for the Z are welcome.

I have been using my older keg cowboy (dudas makes the model now) 40 plate that has been fantastic. Cools quickly and I bought some adapters that essentially convert the in and out of the plate chiller to the keg posts to use with the regular z hoses.

And that's what I was thinking, is it possible to add keg posts to the plate coolers. Is it a special adapter? any links or pics?

thx

I used these from Bobbie with a 1/2" female to female connector. I likely could have made it cleaner but it does the job.
NPT12toKegPostLiquid-2T.jpg

NPT12toKegPostGas-2T.jpg

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/npt12tokegpostliquid.htm
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/npt12tokegpostgas.htm

So the Zs are shipping, several Z2s in the wild and now they announce BYO for the Pico S/Pro/C. Interesting turn of events there. I knew it was coming but I figured it would be announced after the Zs were finished shipping.

For cooling I do the following:
Exchillerator maxx counterflow chiller that I somehow got for 40% off on store closing: https://www.exchilerator.com/product/maxx-counterflow-wort-chiller/

And corny plug adapter with a gas valve on it (the ones with notches): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064OMY28/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So before the machine is done, about 10-15 minutes left I hook it up so it sanitizes with boil temp wort. The machine output tube is hooked to the chiller in via the corny post, and on the output there is silicone tubing with another gas connector on it that hooks up to the zymatic keg.

When the machine is done, I crank on the water, put a wand on the output connector from the chiller and straight into a fermentor. The exchillerator at the flow rate the Z puts out cools ales to pitch temperature on the fly so no recirc needed.

With the Z2 I make it so the brews are staggered like 10-15 minutes so I don't have to deal with both at the same time. I have no idea how someone would operate a z3-z4!

Last edited:
When the machine is done, I crank on the water, put a wand on the output connector from the chiller and straight into a ferementor. The exchillerator at the flow rate the Z puts out cools ales to pitch temperature on the fly so no recirc needed./
That's a nice setup.. how do you think about fermenting containers though? It's a pain to clean kegs so I've been bouncing back and forth between fermenting in the brew pot corney keg and transferring to a dedicated fermentor (right now I have an SS brew bucket mini for small batches and a spidel for larger).

That's a nice setup.. how do you think about fermenting containers though? It's a pain to clean kegs so I've been bouncing back and forth between fermenting in the brew pot corney keg and transferring to a dedicated fermentor (right now I have an SS brew bucket mini for small batches and a spidel for larger).

I think if I were just brewing 2.5 gallons it is good to keep in the keg for ferment for the reasons you stated. I like putting it in another vessel for 5 gallons because then I can do a single pitch of yeast and put it in a temperature controlled fridge. It does take longer to chill the keg if fermenting in that because the metal also carries heat. Putting the keg in water helps. If I go from chiller straight to another fermentation vessel I don't have to cool down the keg at all.

When I do a lager I do the same set up but I also gang up a immersion chiller and have the wort go through the interior of that in an ice bucket to cool the ale temp wort to lager temp. During the winter the tap water is often cold enough to do it directly without a second chiller. The Exchillerator can cool wort to the tap water temperature.

Here's a picture with the top lid off if anyone is interested. Now the rinse cycle is able to rinse the output tube nicely as it can route water straight to it without going through the step filter. The arm is gone, replaced by a motor controlled valve. Everything very accessible. Fan in here cranks because the holes on the left (front of the machine) make a air curtain to keep steam from getting on the main board just above. It is still heated with a heat exchanger but it appears to circulate pressurized water instead.

y4m9hlpiCUKzERskCjFwCZRbinSZVaZVUG3qRCUCh3bUDwy0tFJgjOo7t60TN2APjKXtRCONiIS_zAFEoyRsAWdRSSy1LZHWgUonKkHcwVkqetwSAGC7nnZ67pkFH6eb8OjoXhB6DEqvdMVBA6-wHxOpRRt5NbpGTEMxy8hwpvO493umT71wkF1ynZZj7IBijxtqntMO4QyG_yisk4iI3KZGA

Here's a picture with the top lid off if anyone is interested. Now the rinse cycle is able to rinse the output tube nicely as it can route water straight to it without going through the step filter. The arm is gone, replaced by a motor controlled valve. Everything very accessible. Fan in here cranks because the holes on the left (front of the machine) make a air curtain to keep steam from getting on the main board just above. It is still heated with a heat exchanger but it appears to circulate pressurized water instead.

y4m9hlpiCUKzERskCjFwCZRbinSZVaZVUG3qRCUCh3bUDwy0tFJgjOo7t60TN2APjKXtRCONiIS_zAFEoyRsAWdRSSy1LZHWgUonKkHcwVkqetwSAGC7nnZ67pkFH6eb8OjoXhB6DEqvdMVBA6-wHxOpRRt5NbpGTEMxy8hwpvO493umT71wkF1ynZZj7IBijxtqntMO4QyG_yisk4iI3KZGA
Just an FYI I reposted the Pic on the Picobrew facebook page, gave you credit.

Looks like they used those same SeaFlo pumps, the same HEX and the same TopFlo glycol pump. The RIMS tube and the Spider Valve are new but that looks like the weak point to me. Interested to see what happens in the next 6 months or 50 brews. Nice that it is that accessible though, I'll give them credit there.

I've been lurking for a while. Time to start posting a bit. I ordered a Z2 on 3/3/18 expecting it to arrive late summer / early fall. Pretty funny in hindsight. My ship date keeps getting delayed - initially 3/25/19 once they started sending updates. Most recently my target ship date was 5/18, but unfortunately that got delayed again supposedly due to an issues with US Customs and a screen filter. I emailed PicoBrew expressing my frustration. They told me that I was #230 in line and that they expected to be shipping past my order sometime this week. I haven't heard anything since. Hopefully we all start getting the device and hopefully it performs as advertised. I'm looking forward to cranking out batch after batch.

I've been lurking for a while. Time to start posting a bit. I ordered a Z2 on 3/3/18 expecting it to arrive late summer / early fall. Pretty funny in hindsight. My ship date keeps getting delayed - initially 3/25/19 once they started sending updates. Most recently my target ship date was 5/18, but unfortunately that got delayed again supposedly due to an issues with US Customs and a screen filter. I emailed PicoBrew expressing my frustration. They told me that I was #230 in line and that they expected to be shipping past my order sometime this week. I haven't heard anything since. Hopefully we all start getting the device and hopefully it performs as advertised. I'm looking forward to cranking out batch after batch.
You will probably get a notification on Friday. I got my notification last Friday, and it’s arriving Monday. I was 82 in line. So, sit tight, you will be getting it soon.

I will say that I would have never ordered it, knowing that I would have to wait 15 1/2 months. In the end it will be worth it. However, I sold my grainfather months ago hoping to have this sooner.

I was in the same boat and even forgot about it for a while.. Received my Z2 ~2 weeks ago and have two brews through it. All went smoothly. I'm pretty happy with the product based on first experience and i'm glad I didn't cancel. But yeah if I knew how long it was going to take I would have grabbed a brewboss.

Back