PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was your OG on this pak? I recalculated mine three times and recalibrate my refractometer, my OG was 1.071 or 17.3 BRIX. I find it quite off from stated OG. How much yeast did you pitch on that one? I'm tempted to drop 5g. or a little less than half.

Just checked my tilt logs. I got 1.077 and 1.079. Both finished at 1.023. It’s pretty common to be low on OG on the big beers. The Picos at its limit grain wise well before and there is a lot of DME. I scoop up the DME that settles out and pour it back in the hole lol.

Yeah, tell me about it. Some fell off the pack when I opened the back. I was wearing a pair of commercial crocs (don’t judge!) and my feet got glued to the crocs! That pak sure is sweet.

Thanks for the figures provided, i’m Not too far, so all is normal I guess.

Cheers!

So there’s your missing points, on your feet and floor lol.

Thanks - good tip. I’ve apparently got the older version with the grate instead of the X, so I had to whittle the toothpick down a bit to get it in there. Pico support also recommended taking the ball adapters apart and scrubbing them. It’s all good now, but I’ll do another brew this week to be sure everything is OK.

Definitely take the ball locks apart... just be careful when you do there are loose pieces. I now do it with every deep clean because of the amount of stuff I've found in there.

Just checked my tilt logs. I got 1.077 and 1.079. Both finished at 1.023. It’s pretty common to be low on OG on the big beers. The Picos at its limit grain wise well before and there is a lot of DME. I scoop up the DME that settles out and pour it back in the hole lol.

I’ve taken the advice of others to give the PicoPaks a really good shake. The grain tends to settle during shipping, and that has caused dry spots (something I’ve experienced). Loosing the grain up really helps the water saturate and should help bump up your OG.

I’ve been shaking them all for a long time. Still usually get dry spots in a corner or two. To clarify, I’m usually dead on with OG, it’s just a few of the big beers I’ve been a little low, which is pretty common I’ve seen.

I always shake them even upside down before I open the bag. Then collect all the DME that has fallen out and drop back on the top screen of the pak. With this I rarely have any dry spots and I am very close to the OG consistently. Don't think I have hit one on the nose yet though.

The last 2 paks I brewed I checked the OG for the first time. I shake the pak and add the DME back just as you have stated. The Stingray IPA pak was wet in all the corners OG was 1.065 compared to a stated value of 1.070. The second pak (Rouge Dead Guy) was a different story. I cranked the ABV to see if I could get a higher OG (closer to the stated value). Opened the pak and 3 of 4 corners were dry and the OG was 1.060 compared to the stated value of 1.065. I am happy that both OGs were close but think the Dead Guy pak would have been lower without the adjustment to the ABV. Interesting to note that the Stingray pak came from PicoBrew and the Dead Guy from Best Buy (online). Could there be an issue with increased handling of the Best Buy pak??

Interesting to note that the Stingray pak came from PicoBrew and the Dead Guy from Best Buy (online). Could there be an issue with increased handling of the Best Buy pak??

Agreed on Best Buy and Amazon. I’m pretty sure you get more ‘freshly packed’ Paks from Pico, whereas who knows how long they’ve sat when getting getting from Pico to a 3rd party wharehouse to home. I don’t think there is a freshness issue as the two I’ve brewed from Amazon where just fine taste wise. Settling and condensing, however, is likely to be much more of an issue. So keep shaking!

From what I have gathered the paks ordered from Pico are made to order. Once you put in the order they make it and ship it. That may be as far from the truth as anything else so take it as a grain of salt. I still agree that it is fresher from Pico rather 3rd party vendors. I know some have had better luck with ship times with the 3rd party vendors though. So do what works for you in order to get your paks so you can brew. As long as there is a good market going we have nothing to worry about.

Anyone had to contact customer service lately? I reported the replacement S wouldn't work 13 days ago. I've had one response from them (after 8 or 9 days), which didn't work. It's been 3 days since I've notified them it didn't work and haven't heard a word. I'm getting a little worried...

I always shake them even upside down before I open the bag. Then collect all the DME that has fallen out and drop back on the top screen of the pak. With this I rarely have any dry spots and I am very close to the OG consistently. Don't think I have hit one on the nose yet though.

Hummm thanks for everyone input. I never gave it much of a shake, I guess I will have to try that and poring the DME back in. It’s better than on toes for sure.

Anyone had to contact customer service lately? I reported the replacement S wouldn't work 13 days ago. I've had one response from them (after 8 or 9 days), which didn't work. It's been 3 days since I've notified them it didn't work and haven't heard a word. I'm getting a little worried...

Yep, I opened 3 tickets lately and all were answered within 4 hours.

Pico Pro Brewer Bundle
Pico Pro, Ball Lock PicoFerm, and 2 FreeStyle Coupon Codes

Thanks! email issues, don't want to miss any deals! Yesterdays had me thinking for a while. I just don't have space for the Z.

Anyone got a good source for a 3Gal keg? I'm looking for the equivalent of the Pico ones... nice rubber feet and dual handle rubberized as well. Amcyl or AEB of preference.

Anyone got a good source for a 3Gal keg? I'm looking for the equivalent of the Pico ones... nice rubber feet and dual handle rubberized as well. Amcyl or AEB of preference.

Unfortunately those are pretty hard to find. I like the same, rubber handled they are the best. I’ve seen 3 gallon on eBay recently.

3 gallon, or 2.5 gallon? I own a bunch of these and love them (but I don't own a Pico and therefore can't speak to compatibility for that specifically)

On a different note. Has anyone looked at Vessi? Pico (or Z) + vessi seems like an overkill in automation, but just curious.

Don should have read through the posts here or the FAQ section on the Facebook group to better understand on how to brew good beer on the Pico. It has been well documented here not to add the whole packet of US 05 yeast. Dry hopping should take place after fermentation a minimum of 7 days (he added at 4 days) and that dry hopping might work best in the serving keg. Just some quick thoughts after viewing the video.

Don should have read through the posts here or the FAQ section on the Facebook group to better understand on how to brew good beer on the Pico. It has been well documented here not to add the whole packet of US 05 yeast. Dry hopping should take place after fermentation a minimum of 7 days (he added at 4 days) and that dry hopping might work best in the serving keg. Just some quick thoughts after viewing the video.

Indeed. One of the things I struggle with as a frequent reviewer myself is learning the ins and pouts of a product to test it thoroughly and correctly. It's always a challenge, but I think Don could have done more.

Being that this is made for the novice brewer, don't you think this should be included in the non-existent instructions? Part of his grain wasn't even wet and only had a SG of 1.051 instead of 1.062.

All I see are people shilling for this product and all of the results are, "well it's not as bad as my first beer" I wouldn't pay ~$26 for 1.5 gallons of beer that was just a little bit better than my first beer.

The fact that they substituted an ale with a lager in my kit shows they lack understanding or they just assume people will think those are normal flavors. (asking a novice to brew a lager, seriously)

Might want to recheck your numbers, the OG for Half Squeezed is 1.057. His gravity was 1.052. Pico states that the pac should hit within .005 of the specified OG. I have brewed other paks when the grain was not fully wet and found that my OG was within a few <0.003 of the specified OG. I have brewed extract and partial mashes in the past and I can attest as well as other friends and family members that the beer I have brewed on my Pico have been some of the best I have made.

Those looking for 3 gallon kegs: just buy 5 gallon kegs...you'll eventually need/want them. Bonus, they're even cheaper than 3 gallon models.

I agree, you will eventually progress to the 5 gallon kegs. I have started doing double brews and they work great for that. Double brew is 3+ gallons.

I hear you guys. They are taller... space is the issue. I can fit a 3 gal, i will reconsider if I can’t put my hands in a 3 gal.

Thanks!

I agree, you will eventually progress to the 5 gallon kegs. I have started doing double brews and they work great for that. Double brew is 3+ gallons.

You sure you have 3 gallon kegs. A double batch is a couple pints more than a 2.5 gallon keg.

I don&#8217;t agree a 5 gallon keg is the answer for everyone. I will say 2.5 gallons are a bad option. Won&#8217;t fit a Pico double batch and if\when you upgrade to a Z a 3 gallon is perfect for serving, I don&#8217;t do any batches 2.5 gallons.

Might want to recheck your numbers, the OG for Half Squeezed is 1.057. His gravity was 1.052. Pico states that the pac should hit within .005 of the specified OG. I have brewed other paks when the grain was not fully wet and found that my OG was within a few <0.003 of the specified OG. I have brewed extract and partial mashes in the past and I can attest as well as other friends and family members that the beer I have brewed on my Pico have been some of the best I have made.

The Pico does what it was designed to do. It makes good wort and then its up to the user to ferment appropriately. I have gotten off flavors the three times i fast fermented some may be ok with this. its all preference and what you want out of the brew.

Indeed. One of the things I struggle with as a frequent reviewer myself is learning the ins and pouts of a product to test it thoroughly and correctly. It's always a challenge, but I think Don could have done more.

So you think the end user should have to research how to use a product from various 3rd party resources rather than have the manufacturer provide complete and detailed instructions?

I think Don tried to take the approach of trying the system as a complete newbie would, which just reinforced what people have been saying on this and other forums, that the ****ty limited instructions provided by Pico are inadequate, especially when the machine/system are marketed as the Keurig of beer. Press a button and have quality craft beer in a week?
Not gonna happen if you do exactly what Pico tells you to do. You shouldn't have to search around to find out how to make the product do what the manufacturer says it will do.

I say this as an owner of a Zymatic-a $2000 appliance that comes with a manual that appears to have taken all of 10 minutes to produce.

So you think the end user should have to research how to use a product from various 3rd party resources rather than have the manufacturer provide complete and detailed instructions?

I think Don tried to take the approach of trying the system as a complete newbie would, which just reinforced what people have been saying on this and other forums, that the ****ty limited instructions provided by Pico are inadequate, especially when the machine/system are marketed as the Keurig of beer. Press a button and have quality craft beer in a week?
Not gonna happen if you do exactly what Pico tells you to do. You shouldn't have to search around to find out how to make the product do what the manufacturer says it will do.

I say this as an owner of a Zymatic-a $2000 appliance that comes with a manual that appears to have taken all of 10 minutes to produce.

Sad but true. A year later, I am a bit surprised that the videos and manuals online still don't show good steps. The appliances are excellent wort making machines. There's so much more though to get a good experience when enjoying your brew.

I'm just surprised though, that they have not at a minimum updated this written and AV content to reflect better practices. At least the yeast, pleaaaase.

For those who do the tweaks, we all seem happy with our purchases.

I think all of that info should come from the manufacturer when you buy a unit. But I also always look on the internet to see what might have been missed, no matter what the product is.

Back