PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woohoo!! Just ordered my Pico C!!! Took advantage of the cyber Monday deals and snagged one from Bed Bath & Beyond. $319 after their 20% off coupon. Can't wait to start brewing.

Woohoo!! Just ordered my Pico C!!! Took advantage of the cyber Monday deals and snagged one from Bed Bath & Beyond. $319 after their 20% off coupon. Can't wait to start brewing.

Those are crazy deals, congrats and welcome. Join the "Picobrewers" group on Facebook to get some important tips that work better than the instruction say!

Those are crazy deals, congrats and welcome. Join the "Picobrewers" group on Facebook to get some important tips that work better than the instruction say!
Already did.....I feel like Neo when he gets plugged into the Matrix for the first time!! "I know Kung-Fu!!!"

12 Days of Christmas has started!!

Day 1 - 25% off Foggy Noggin's Christmas Duck Porter
A mouthful of sweetened roasty flavors that linger long as a roasty dryness. Satisfying in every respect and a pint of the holiday spirit each time. Everyone deserves to celebrate Christmas year-round. Jingle Beers! Jingle Beers!

Listed for 19.49 Normally 25.99

Humm yeah, i’ll pass. Not that good of a deal to me.

Pick still? Yeah, how does that think work? Do you brew a special pac to get a vodka or whiskey?

The results are in from my next two batches using fermentation freezer @ 65F and 1450 yeast.

Little RIPA - Denny your recipe is delicious! Very happy how this turned out. I’ll admit I did crank up the ABV to try to approximate your original recipe, it’s a bit hot :) but still a great success.

Flying Monkeys Netherworld - this one is interesting. When I was racking it I was really happy with the flavor, but now after dry hopping for couple of days there’s a bit of a fruity note that is unexpected and unwanted. I’m gonna let this dry hop and carb for another week or so, I think it needs time.

I gotta say the one thing I have found the least successful in all of my attempts it’s aggressive dry hopping....

Humm yeah, i’ll pass. Not that good of a deal to me.

Pick still? Yeah, how does that think work? Do you brew a special pac to get a vodka or whiskey?
They will never give you any instructions since it’s highly illegal to distill spirits without a license. To make whiskey or vodka you mash grains corn etc, and ferment. Your basically making beer without hops. Then after fermentation you distill it to your liquor. I don’t suspect they will offer Pico packs for your mash, but they may, be interesting to see how they approach it with the legalities. The yield from a Pico size mash will be tiny. Of course I bought one.....and have charred oak barrels ready, for my hop oils. ;)

On the Second Day of Christmas Pico gave us....

33% off Two Fellas Lake Michigan IPA
Lake Michigan IPA is a nod to the ancestral homeland of the Fellas. Chock full of Cascade and Centennial hops, our India Pale Ale highlights a light maltiness with aromas of floral and citrus. A modest bitterness ensures that you will be ready for another while you sail from Milwaukee to Muskegon.

Listed for 18.59 Normally 27.99

On the Second Day of Christmas Pico gave us....

33% off Two Fellas Lake Michigan IPA

Actually just started drinking this one (purchased during the Octoberfest sale). While a solid, bitter beer, it's not the citrus/floral-type IPA that the Pico excels at delivering fresh. If you live near a store with bottled/canned craft beer, I wouldn't bother brewing this one.

On the Third Day of Christmas Pico gave us....

33% off BrewBaker Berliner Blut
Double smoked red ale. Blood red, sweet and bitter. Aromas of caramel, lemon, bergamont, orange peel,wood smoke and tar, tobacco and peat.

Listed for 19.99 Normally 29.99

Going to try the Blut, but wow (not to turn this into a personal bitchfest, but) at some point in the last month they bumped the international shipping significantly. It is now $39 for one pak, $51 for two, $74 for three, $74 for four (???), $113 for five, $125 for six to Japan. Four paks used to be $60 and two was $34. Probably not going to brew much if this keeps up, even with discounts.

Oh, and now the keg labels are separate! $1 each! What's next, optional sugar, yeast??!

Going to try the Blut, but wow (not to turn this into a personal bitchfest, but) at some point in the last month they bumped the international shipping significantly. It is now $39 for one pak, $51 for two, $74 for three, $74 for four (???), $113 for five, $125 for six to Japan. Four paks used to be $60 and two was $34. Probably not going to brew much if this keeps up, even with discounts.

Oh, and now the keg labels are separate! $1 each! What's next, optional sugar, yeast??!
Those are optional bottle labels for the new bottling kit, the pack still ships with one label as always. Have you asked support about the international shipping rates? That sounds like a steep increase and may be in error. They have had rate errors before.

Have you asked support about the international shipping rates? That sounds like a steep increase and may be in error. They have had rate errors before.

Yeah, I emailed them when I saw it. I wonder if it is a mistake though, since it isn't wildly off from where it was before, and it comes a year after they servicing customers worldwide (a re-assessment?). The initial estimates were way off during the kickstarter (like $80 a pak or something, and we complained!) but it really never came down to reasonable levels. I pledged for $400 worth of starter paks knowing 4 for $100 including shipping to Japan was *never* going to happen again. In my email I asked if they could offer a slow-boat version since I don't need paks a week from ordering and S&H now counts for over half the price!

On the 5th day of Christmas Pico gave to us....

33% off Helles Lager
Helles Lager is the 2015 GABF Bronze Medal Winner. This German-style lager is a clean, restrained, and malt-forward beer with grainy pilsner and biscuit notes. We add just enough noble Hallertauer hops for a balanced, traditional bitterness.

Listed for 18.59 Normally 27.99

Shipping is free if you purchase two paks or more, I am down for two Helles. 19 bucks off with the deal today for two.

That is if you are in the US and the conjoined 48.

HELP!!! Quick!

I finally got my beer orders in and I of course immediately started brewing. The first package I opened I didn't look at it closely and it's already started. El Marron, a lager! I've never brewed a lager. The yeast that came with it is Safale K-97 what temperature should I ferment at? And should I use the fast ferment or go back to the an airlock?

Ideas please.

HELP!!! Quick!

I finally got my beer orders in and I of course immediately started brewing. The first package I opened I didn't look at it closely and it's already started. El Marron, a lager! I've never brewed a lager. The yeast that came with it is Safale K-97 what temperature should I ferment at? And should I use the fast ferment or go back to the an airlock?

Ideas please.
Here is the sticker for lager. I’ve done them with FF at 65-70’ with fabulous results.

Attachments

• 83D2F21C-FB68-4915-B783-2FF65E355B15.jpeg
    83D2F21C-FB68-4915-B783-2FF65E355B15.jpeg
    657.1 KB · Views: 130
I drank some of my first batch, the Peculiar English Ale, and it turned out so much better then I ever expected! Just delicious. It really reminds me of the hand pulled ales we had when visiting my wife's family in England, only more carbonated. The reason I was so surprised is that this machine produced better results then I ever did back when when I was home brewing around 17 years ago. I was not that good obviously!
Right now I have ENIAC Mosaic IPA fermenting with 1/2 tsp of US05. I am using the the mini kegs for serving so I don't want to dry hop in there, so what is the best method for me to use in the fermenting keg? Tomorrow will be 7th day, no hops added yet.

jrb03

Thank you Thank you! I just checked all my stickers are for Ale, I guess they only sent the lager ones with lagers. I can easily get it to hold at 60. I kept a copy of the jpg. :D

I drank some of my first batch, the Peculiar English Ale, and it turned out so much better then I ever expected! Just delicious. It really reminds me of the hand pulled ales we had when visiting my wife's family in England, only more carbonated. The reason I was so surprised is that this machine produced better results then I ever did back when when I was home brewing around 17 years ago. I was not that good obviously!
Right now I have ENIAC Mosaic IPA fermenting with 1/2 tsp of US05. I am using the the mini kegs for serving so I don't want to dry hop in there, so what is the best method for me to use in the fermenting keg? Tomorrow will be 7th day, no hops added yet.

Wait until fermentation is complete, say another 4 days or so. Then add your dry hops for 3-5 days, then cold crash and rack as normal.

jrb03

Thank you Thank you! I just checked all my stickers are for Ale, I guess they only sent the lager ones with lagers. I can easily get it to hold at 60. I kept a copy of the jpg. :D
No problem! Back when I got my Pico they used to include a sticker in every pack so I have a ton of them. I don’t think they even sale the lager ones anymore let alone put them in the pack.

When are y'all pulling the tilt? Before or after racking?
Usually after but I have a few. This past weekend I brewed 2 Pico batches and started cold crashing another 2 in my kegerator and needed my tilts, so I pulled them out with sanitized thongs lol.

When are y'all pulling the tilt? Before or after racking?
I pull it when I rack... but I have 3 of them now. I almost pulled when I went to cold crash and I was going to use the sterlized tongs but I ended up not doing it.

The results are in from my next two batches using fermentation freezer @ 65F and 1450 yeast.

Little RIPA - Denny your recipe is delicious! Very happy how this turned out. I’ll admit I did crank up the ABV to try to approximate your original recipe, it’s a bit hot :) but still a great success.

Flying Monkeys Netherworld - this one is interesting. When I was racking it I was really happy with the flavor, but now after dry hopping for couple of days there’s a bit of a fruity note that is unexpected and unwanted. I’m gonna let this dry hop and carb for another week or so, I think it needs time.

I gotta say the one thing I have found the least successful in all of my attempts it’s aggressive dry hopping....

After one week, the Netherworld is tasting much better. One thing I’m noticing on both batches is a little bit of residual sweetness. Is this a characteristic of the 1450 yeast? It’s by no means offensive but I have a feeling both of these beers should be a bit dryer than they are.

After one week, the Netherworld is tasting much better. One thing I’m noticing on both batches is a little bit of residual sweetness. Is this a characteristic of the 1450 yeast? It’s by no means offensive but I have a feeling both of these beers should be a bit dryer than they are.
I’ve been using 1450 exclusively the last couple months, including some Z brews I do often with other yeasts. I can’t say I notice any sweetness, the main difference I notice is the fuller creamy mouthfeel. I’m really liking it.

What temp did you ferment at? I use 1450 on 80 percent of my brews and haven't noticed that.

Fermented at 65F in a chest freezer with the Inkbird thermal probe taped to the side of the keg and then insulated the probe with some bubble wrap.

I fermented this way for 12 days, then shut off and opened the freezer and let it come up to ambient (~70) for a couple more days.

Still using the FF valve though.

That’s sounds right on to me. The only way to really know would be to take hydrometer readings and make sure you finished fermenting That could lead to the residual sugars if it wasn’t finished. 1450 has attenuation in the 75 percent range so that is what you are shooting for. There are calculators online to measure this. Very simple

On the 6th day of Christmas Pico gave to us....

33% off Brown Ale

Our medium-bodied Brown Ale is brewed in the English tradition, with an infusion of American creativity. The rich, malty backbone balances an assertive hop character, and ends with a smooth, dry finish. Our Brown Ale boasts a dark brown body that supports a creamy tan head.

Listed for 16.59 Normally 24.99

They will never give you any instructions since it’s highly illegal to distill spirits without a license. To make whiskey or vodka you mash grains corn etc, and ferment. Your basically making beer without hops. Then after fermentation you distill it to your liquor. I don’t suspect they will offer Pico packs for your mash, but they may, be interesting to see how they approach it with the legalities. The yield from a Pico size mash will be tiny. Of course I bought one.....and have charred oak barrels ready, for my hop oils. ;)

lol, oak barrels for....hops oils. Love it.

thanks, I just noticed your reply. I don't know if it's just me, but compared to the Z, the pico is meant to be fully supplied but PicoBrew. I wonder how it's supposed to be used with the pico still. If we are suppose to read between the lines, I guess it's light hacking. don't put the hops in, and brew. Ferment. Distill. Enjoy 1oz of "whiskey". Hummm.... Ok, I'm exaggerating, but how much would it yield? 4 oz?

lol, oak barrels for....hops oils. Love it.

thanks, I just noticed your reply. I don't know if it's just me, but compared to the Z, the pico is meant to be fully supplied but PicoBrew. I wonder how it's supposed to be used with the pico still. If we are suppose to read between the lines, I guess it's light hacking. don't put the hops in, and brew. Ferment. Distill. Enjoy 1oz of "whiskey". Hummm.... Ok, I'm exaggerating, but how much would it yield? 4 oz?
I’ve done some investigation and math and it’s gonna be somewhere around 10-12oz. Definitely a novelty.

I’ve done some investigation and math and it’s gonna be somewhere around 10-12oz. Definitely a novelty.

Hummm. Perhaps for Z users it may be more interesting. I would be curious in experimenting with flavours.

Hummm. Perhaps for Z users it may be more interesting. I would be curious in experimenting with flavours.
It uses the new Pico-c keg regardless of Pico or Zymatic as the heat source. Same batch size for both.

Back