PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing ok with 05 since my first full pack cider bomb batch. I don't doubt liquid is better tho. That has been my experience even with traditional AG brewing. It's just way more consistent. I will likely go that route when my new kegs come in and I can do double batches. But for now 1/2 tsp of 05 fermented at 67 has been very good the last few times. Kermode and Dead Guy. Just kegged an Angels Blonde which tasted promising pre carb

Not sure where my thread went...

So my lodge chipped in and we bought... we plan on brewing batches and bottling them...

I do not like the serving keg.. it under performs...

So the question I have.. is can you rack over to the serving keg.. .add the bottling sugar... then auto siphon into bottles?????

Thanks..

Kody

Yeah no problem

So my lodge chipped in and we bought... we plan on brewing batches and bottling them...

So the question I have.. is can you rack over to the serving keg.. .add the bottling sugar... then auto siphon into bottles?????

Thanks..

Kody

Yes absolutely. It would be easier to rack to a bottling bucket with spigot and bottling wand though.

I'm doing ok with 05 since my first full pack cider bomb batch. I don't doubt liquid is better tho. That has been my experience even with traditional AG brewing. It's just way more consistent. I will likely go that route when my new kegs come in and I can do double batches. But for now 1/2 tsp of 05 fermented at 67 has been very good the last few times. Kermode and Dead Guy. Just kegged an Angels Blonde which tasted promising pre carb

I agree 1/2 tsp is much better but I still taste the cidery fruitiness. I choose to use liquid but I could live with it if there wasn't a much better option. Harvesting the yeast is super easy so cost is not a concern.

Yes Kody you absolutely can do that.

I'm still waiting for the first person who has actually happily used the serving keg to dispense beer to visit this forum

Ah ah... yeah, til the cows come home. The darn thing is garbage. I don't like it at all. One thing, people try to get the last pint and it barely pours anything. often the kegs stays in the fridge, everyone sees there's at least a pint left, they tilt it but still won't pour, then close the fridge door.

Thanks..

Kody

Funny that you mention that, I did do this. I bottle my beer. I have access to a machine. I rack into a small carboy that contains priming sugar, and use the bottling machine. But you can use the serving keg for this yes. It may not be useful for anything else. :-(

Yes absolutely. It would be easier to rack to a bottling bucket with spigot and bottling wand though.

I agree 1/2 tsp is much better but I still taste the cidery fruitiness. I choose to use liquid but I could live with it if there wasn't a much better option. Harvesting the yeast is super easy so cost is not a concern.

I agree. If you can brew frequently enough to have batches rolling, liquid is great. Reharvesting is easy enough providing the yeast is reused shortly and kept in the fridge. It's a no brainer to me.

Denny Conn said it's good at least a month in the fridge. The Pico produces an extremely clean yeast cake, pretty much all yeast, no hop or grain bits. I think it will last a while, I have a mason jar with about 1/3 of a yeast cake from last week. I'm gonna pitch it in about two months and see how it does. The other two thirds of that cake went into new batches over the weekend, which started screaming out the FF valve in under 2 hours.

This thread needs more beer p0rn! Farmers Tan is damn good...

0F362C78-3A38-45FB-9CAC-A5D8AE9D1157.jpg

jrb03 you can harvest yeast from a starter and get super clean yeast. Just use a pitch calculator online or in beer smith. I do this all the time and have used yeast 4 months later. Its far easier than having to wash the yeast.

This thread needs more beer p0rn! Farmers Tan is damn good...

Looks great! I'll have to give that one a try. Did it come with 05? Lbarouf you need to start that thread! :p~ :)

It looks like they may have to replace the pico, so no beer for awhile. Sadly, the two milds just showed up, so I guess I'll toss them in the fridge until I can brew again.

Or maybe, I'll do a BIAB and ferment in the pico keg... hmm

Thinking about pledging for the 1 year unlimited. It comes with one of the new kegs. I thought I read here (but now I can't find it) that the pico c keg won't work with either the S or a kegerator or both?

** Never mind. A quick search found the answer. Nothing to see here, move along. ;) **

jrb03 you can harvest yeast from a starter and get super clean yeast. Just use a pitch calculator online or in beer smith. I do this all the time and have used yeast 4 months later. Its far easier than having to wash the yeast.

lol thanks but I'm very aware of the various ways to harvest or propagate yeast. I'm talking about no wash yeast cake harvesting we have discussed around here. It's far easier to scoop yeast cake into mason jars and pitch later. No washing needed at all.

Thinking about pledging for the 1 year unlimited. It comes with one of the new kegs. I thought I read here (but now I can't find it) that the pico c keg won't work with either the S or a kegerator or both?

It comes with adapters to use for brewing with the Pico S. it does not have ball lock fittings and is not rated for high pressure so it can not be used for serving. It is a brew/fermentation keg only.

It comes with adapters to use for brewing with the Pico S. it does not have ball lock fittings and is not rated for high pressure so it can not be used for serving. It is a brew/fermentation keg only.

Thanks. I did a quick search but didn't see it comes with an adapter for the S. I can live with that. $400 unlimited brew (a new keg is $100'ish) is a no brainer. ~1.5 brews a month to break even. If the stretch goal is hit, the PicoFerm is included which really makes it a deal. Thanks again.

I've had my wifi go down, and when it comes back my iPad uploads all the missed data, so their cloud solution works just fine. One thing to note, if you ferment in the metal kegs reception from the tilt is pretty bad. I have to set my iPad right next to it. Not sure how a pi works but something to keep in mind.

I just plan on checking the tilt once a day.. I do have one SS fermenter but it won't be the only one used when mine arrives.

If it works great I could we ordering a second one as I sometimes have overlap with multiple fermentations going.

I cancelled my pledge today. I love the idea of the pico but it just isn't quite the right product for me despite the great price right now. I do believe I'll end up with an automated wort maker at some point but it will be a bit bigger and give me complete control.. more like the zymatic or the brewie.

Now, the day I will be able to brew a Westvleteren clone in my Pico.. that will call for celebration. Just too big of a beer even for the Z I believe.

Westvleteren is simply pils malt and candi syrup. Plus Westmalle yeast (WY3787). Since the candi syrup doesn't need to go in the Z. you should be able to make one.

Looks great! I'll have to give that one a try. Did it come with 05? Lbarouf you need to start that thread! :p~ :)

It looks like they may have to replace the pico, so no beer for awhile. Sadly, the two milds just showed up, so I guess I'll toss them in the fridge until I can brew again.

Or maybe, I'll do a BIAB and ferment in the pico keg... hmm

Anyone who is confident enough with their tweak can start it. Personally I have used multiple packs as is first to get a feel of the packs. When my round of tests between regular, FF using the provided ingredients are done, I will be ready to share my own tweaks that I feel provide good results.

Westvleteren is simply pils malt and candi syrup. Plus Westmalle yeast (WY3787). Since the candi syrup doesn't need to go in the Z. you should be able to make one.

I saw those clone recipes. Somehow, I doubt the monks actually use candi syrup. I try to stay away from syrups and extracts as much as possible, or for that fact, any of the "other" ingredients outside the natural ones.

I figured long ago that is I want to recreate a Westvleteren, I would have to rely on syrups unless I wanted to become a monk. :)

I cancelled my pledge today. I love the idea of the pico but it just isn't quite the right product for me despite the great price right now. I do believe I'll end up with an automated wort maker at some point but it will be a bit bigger and give me complete control.. more like the zymatic or the brewie.

Maybe the Z is more of a fit for you if you have easy access to good fresh ingredients and don't mind weighing, milling and spending more time on the other prepping tasks. They are both great products for their own reasons. If you change your mind, it will be sold online as well, just at a higher price.

Maybe a freestyle pack using my own yeast?

Newbie here with a pico-s and I'm about to brew my first batch �� Reading the manual, do I have to drop the temp of the wort to 69F before pitching the yeast or can I drop it to only room temp ~75F and pitch it? I wanna make sure I make a good first batch to get more funding support from better half ��

Newbie here with a pico-s and I'm about to brew my first batch �� Reading the manual, do I have to drop the temp of the wort to 69F before pitching the yeast or can I drop it to only room temp ~75F and pitch it? I wanna make sure I make a good first batch to get more funding support from better half ��

I like to wait 24hrs, but what you have to do, is wait for the wort to reach the temp range for the type of fermentation you will use. For Fast Fermentation, 75*F is fine. For standard, check the strips scales based on the type, Lager vs Ale. 73*F is typically the maximum for ales (likely to be what you want to brew now) and way to high for Lagers. The target of 68-69*F is actually a good range on standard fermentation. So, if you want to pitch now, fast ferment you can.

I hope this guides you.

That's really weird. What yeast are you having good luck with? My one concern with the pico is freshness of the ingredients.

I've used both WY1318 and SD super yeast (I forget the manufacturer's designation) with good results. US05 can die in a fire :fro:

I like to wait 24hrs, but what you have to do, is wait for the wort to reach the temp range for the type of fermentation you will use. For Fast Fermentation, 75*F is fine. For standard, check the strips scales based on the type, Lager vs Ale. 73*F is typically the maximum for ales (likely to be what you want to brew now) and way to high for Lagers. The target of 68-69*F is actually a good range on standard fermentation. So, if you want to pitch now, fast ferment you can.

I hope this guides you.

Thanks! Planning on FF with 1/2 tsp of 05, hope my tastebuds will agree with it. All this talk about the problems with US-05 is getting me worried.

Thanks! Planning on FF with 1/2 tsp of 05, hope my tastebuds will agree with it. All this talk about the problems with US-05 is getting me worried.

My only advise is to not to. Enjoy your new purchase and look at how things happen to familiarize yourself. Then judge by yourself the results. We don't all see the same floral or fruity notes on beers. Some may be more pronounced than others. Enjoy the process for now until it's tasting time. My 2 cents.

Exactly what Lbrauf said. The Pico is fun as hell. Brew it and enjoy it. The US05 issue is different for everyone, some are more sensitive than others. I can drink it, others dump it, others love it. If you find you don't like it there are options. Pico has other ale yeasts and if you only pitch the 1/2 tsp a pack of S04 will last a long time. Or pitch some liquid and save the cake for reuse. There are options it's not a show stopper if you find you don't like the 05.

Kickstarter just broke thru the last stretch goal.

$329 now gets you a Pico C, a couple picopaks, and a Ferm Cap...not bad.
or for early adopters
$529 gets you the Pico C, Pico Still, and an extra set of kegs...
(Numbers are without shipping).

Dang, now I feel like a sucker for getting in on the original kickstarter campaign. Oh well, regrets of the early adopter I suppose...

...or there is the extreme value pack...

One Pico C, three extra kegs, three picoferms, a pico still, a few picopaks, and brew unlimited for a year for less than $1300!

I just bought the 12 mo BrewUnlimited. Comes with a new Pico C keg and now a PicoFerm.

One other question about Belle of the Ball - should I pitch all the yeast or just a teaspoon?

Exactly what Lbrauf said. The Pico is fun as hell. Brew it and enjoy it. The US05 issue is different for everyone, some are more sensitive than others. I can drink it, others dump it, others love it. If you find you don't like it there are options. Pico has other ale yeasts and if you only pitch the 1/2 tsp a pack of S04 will last a long time. Or pitch some liquid and save the cake for reuse. There are options it's not a show stopper if you find you don't like the 05.

What is your current method for reusing your yeast cake J?

Tread carefully with Brewie. Their customer service is putrid. That was the one I had my sights set on until I tried getting any help/info from them. Lots of problem reports on the thread here. I would wait until they at least have the kinks worked out. Despite being way behind on delivery of units they still can't seem to deliver a product that works consistently.

The refurb Zymatic at $1299 is (IMHO) an excellent price that won't be seen again till the next pico kickstarter....

If it comes to fruition, I like the IGULU on indiegogo....includes temp control for fermentation, totally programmable mash/hop/boil . and use your own ingredients...

http://www.igulu.com/igulu/

Dang, now I feel like a sucker for getting in on the original kickstarter campaign. Oh well, regrets of the early adopter I suppose...

Sucker??? Really? That's an interesting view. You will have the product over a year before this one. And the Pico s is the superior product. And of course what product price doesn't drop over time. You can always wait and get something cheaper or upgraded.

I just bought the 12 mo BrewUnlimited. Comes with a new Pico C keg and now a PicoFerm.

One other question about Belle of the Ball - should I pitch all the yeast or just a teaspoon?

1 tsp is fine. I used a heaping tsp and it was great.

What is your current method for reusing your yeast cake J?

I spray starsan in a small wide mouthed mason jar and lid. Sanitize a stainless spatula. Rack the beer. After racking your left with a clean yeast cake and a little beer. I just scoop most of it into the mason jar and refrigerate. To pitch let it come to room temp for a couple hours. Swirl it up good. And pitch. 1/4 of this amount is more than enough for a Pico batch. I always brew two, pour about a quarter into each and dump the rest. This last time i split the cake between two mason jars. You can split it up however you want for how your gonna use it. Denny said unwashed yeast is good at least a month in fridge.

I am intrigued by the PicoFerm. If it does fit the normal corny kegs, how would it fare against the Tilt.... would the signal go through the fridge. I prefer real hydrometers though, the Tilt is a great combination. I just don't feel like buying 3.

Picoferm is only for the Pico-c keg for now. It uses wifi compared to the tilts Bluetooth low energy, so signal will not be an issue. Pico ferm only measures pressure from fermentation, and is only for fast fermentation so no airlock in conjunction with it. All this is fine with me but those are the differences.

I could not agree more with the uselessness of the serving keg.. I will rack to a container and wand it into bottles...

Along the same lines.. I have been looking at the Pico site.. it shows you can order your own Paks... but the creation interface is somewhat lacking in detail.. or is it just me??

K

I could not agree more with the uselessness of the serving keg.. I will rack to a container and wand it into bottles...

Along the same lines.. I have been looking at the Pico site.. it shows you can order your own Paks... but the creation interface is somewhat lacking in detail.. or is it just me??

K

I think the freestyle interface is extremely simplistic. Start with a base style, and edit the grains and hops to suit what you want. The ingredients are lacking though.

Back