PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since bottling using the spigot on the serving kegs is not optimal, I was thinking about getting a bottling wand myself. Does anyone know the diameter of the thin end of the racking tube they included with the Pico? I thought I might get one to attach to that.

Since bottling using the spigot on the serving kegs is not optimal, I was thinking about getting a bottling wand myself. Does anyone know the diameter of the thin end of the racking tube they included with the Pico? I thought I might get one to attach to that.

Won't fit I've tried. Email Picobrew and they will send you instructions for filling bottles straight from the fermentation keg using a picnic tap and bottle wand.

Picoferm is only for the Pico-c keg for now. It uses wifi compared to the tilts Bluetooth low energy, so signal will not be an issue. Pico ferm only measures pressure from fermentation, and is only for fast fermentation so no airlock in conjunction with it. All this is fine with me but those are the differences.

From the Kickstarter FAQ: Will the PicoFerm work with ball lock kegs?
At this time, PicoFerm works only with the Pico C Brew Keg. We will be offering options for ball lock kegs in the future.

They are quite cheaper and probably will work with their app. I still wonder if it's worth it (where we know how the Tilt works).

BTW, the guys from Tilt replied. If you are technical and can code, they are pretty keen in helping you integrate. They have my vote for sure. I need to secure the funds from the minister of finance here for those "toys". She just does not understand.... ;-)

lol thanks but I'm very aware of the various ways to harvest or propagate yeast. I'm talking about no wash yeast cake harvesting we have discussed around here. It's far easier to scoop yeast cake into mason jars and pitch later. No washing needed at all.
whatever works. Just thought I would offer an alternative but youve got your system down.

I have used the yeast cake as well with good results but generally you want to brew the same style of beer if you are doing this. For instance, if you brewed a highly hopped IPA and then dry hopped and were to then use the same yeast cake to brew an oatmeal stout it may not be the best idea. Just something to maybe think about as hop matter settles. I find that making a larger starter and collecting the yeast from the starter leads to cleaner yeast with less chance of infection or off flavors. But whatever works for you is the way to go.

The refurb Zymatic at $1299 is (IMHO) an excellent price that won't be seen again till the next pico kickstarter....

If it comes to fruition, I like the IGULU on indiegogo....includes temp control for fermentation, totally programmable mash/hop/boil . and use your own ingredients...

http://www.igulu.com/igulu/

Yeah, I wish I had the coin to pull the trigger right now on the Zymatic. I think it is a really cool machine. The Igulu does look nice.

I'm going to upgrade my BIAB setup... better kettle, fermenters, new temp control for my chest freezer AND really concentrate on pitching the right amount of yeast... especially liquid with a starter.... and learning to adjust my water.. I use RO but have never really changed anything. Concentrating on those things will make me a better brewer. BIAB is pretty dang easy if you aren't able to go fully automatic.

Thanks for the info!

Ya beer line comes in different shapes and sizes. I would recommend 3/16" PVC free tubing. The super cheap stuff that isn't pvc free can leave a plastic taste. There is also high dollar glass lined or antimicrobial beer line that I've never used, I just use the regular pvc free tubing, If you buy from Amazon make sure and read reviews the cheap stuff sucks. As far as balancing, ya it's important! Everyone learns the hard way the first time lol. The setup the kegerator maker gives you will get beer in your glass, but it will be mostly foam! I've setup a few tap systems over the years and 10' beer line is where I would start. Use it a while and if the pour is consistently too slow you can cut off a little at a time until you are happy with it. Mine are right at 10' I prefer a little slower pour with perfect head.

You can definitely carb faster at higher psi if your in a hurry, but it's easy to overcarb and a pain to fix. If you just carb at serving pressure you will never overcarb and ya the extra time helps the beer condition. People have different ways of doing it but after a couple bouts with over carbed beer i adopted the set it and forget it method and never looked back.

I went with 10' also. Calculator showed 9.3' but decided I could cut it down if it pours too slowly. I can't tell from the picture, but did you coil it somewhere to keep it out of the way? It kind of takes over the bottom..
If/when I do this again. I'm going to just buy the kegerator itself without any attachments. I think I've swapped out just about everything...

I went with 10' also. Calculator showed 9.3' but decided I could cut it down if it pours too slowly. I can't tell from the picture, but did you coil it somewhere to keep it out of the way? It kind of takes over the bottom..
If/when I do this again. I'm going to just buy the kegerator itself without any attachments. I think I've swapped out just about everything...

Ya that's what I did. Basic kegerator and then swapped to stainless dual tower and perlick faucets and ball lock lines. My beer lines are coiled up neatly as possible and laying on bottom behind the kegs.

I have used the yeast cake as well with good results but generally you want to brew the same style of beer if you are doing this. For instance, if you brewed a highly hopped IPA and then dry hopped and were to then use the same yeast cake to brew an oatmeal stout it may not be the best idea. Just something to maybe think about as hop matter settles. I find that making a larger starter and collecting the yeast from the starter leads to cleaner yeast with less chance of infection or off flavors. But whatever works for you is the way to go.

I haven't ever seen that happen with either color of flavor. But I xfer the beer before dry hopping and collect the yeast from the primary.

And this is a Pico thread. Once you use a Pico you will see the yeast cake is cleaner than anything you've seen. No hop or grain matter at all. This does not apply.

Since I can't brew, I thought I'd play with the freestyle. Here's an attempt at a brown english(ish) ale.
2 row: 36 oz - 78%
Chocolate malt: 5 oz - 11%
Crystal 60: 5 oz - 11 %
Simcoe: 3 oz - bittering
Saaz: 2 oz each - flavor and aroma
K97 yeast
ABV: 4.4 - IBU: 20 - SRM: 35
Their description: This deep brown, balanced beer features flavors of citrus, floral and herb.
Any glaring issues (i.e. don't mix x with y)?

I wonder if it's possible to add hops (using a hop ball) during the brew process? It seems like if you turned the keg seal over, kept it in place somehow, you could remove it and add hops?? The other possibility is to keep the keg seal on it, put your hops ball in with the chain coming out the hole, keep it at the top with a safety pin, then drop it when it's time to add hops. Too much time on my hands...

Why would you want to do that? You don't want any hop particles escaping it will clog stuff up quick. The picopack hops are in fine filter paper.

Why would you want to do that? You don't want any hop particles escaping it will clog stuff up quick. The picopack hops are in fine filter paper.

Just the ability to use different hops. Would pellets in a hop ball clog it up? It's why I am asking. :)

Just the ability to use different hops. Would pellets in a hop ball clog it up? It's why I am asking. :)

My 2 cents for what it's worth. Pellets are worst. Fresh hops are easier to maintain complete during a brew. Pellets tend to almost disintegrate, where fresh hops stay in whole during boil.

I would also suggest against it overall.

Also for what it's worth, the only way I thought of modifying a pack, would be to unseal the top (it's just glued together), add ingredients there, and close it back. This would ensure keeping the stuff in the pack, and filtered properly as long as it's not in powder. It's just an idea, I would certainly not recommend trying it.

I also wondered if I could use different ingredients that the packs don't offer. It's just not that simple. You really need a Z for this.

Enjoy your un-hacked packs! ;-)

I would highly recommend second thought on opening the pack. Have you seen what happens when a pack seal fails, even slightly in the corner? It's a pretty big mess.

No, fortunately enough I have not experienced it, but saw pics from somehow who did. It like it blew up. I did say it was a bad idea!

Ya that's what I did. Basic kegerator and then swapped to stainless dual tower and perlick faucets and ball lock lines. My beer lines are coiled up neatly as possible and laying on bottom behind the kegs.

Do you ever clean your beer lines (or associated ball lock connectors) out? If so, how often? I only have 6 foot picnic tap lines at the moment and I clean (with pbw) and sanitize (star san) between every brew. It's a total PITA even with that length (admittedly, it's all done in my kitchen sink, so it's a little different), but contemplating that with 10 foot lines is making me avoid it even though I need longer ones...

Wally

Also for what it's worth, the only way I thought of modifying a pack, would be to unseal the top (it's just glued together), add ingredients there, and close it back. This would ensure keeping the stuff in the pack, and filtered properly as long as it's not in powder. It's just an idea, I would certainly not recommend trying it.

I also wondered if I could use different ingredients that the packs don't offer. It's just not that simple. You really need a Z for this.

For what it's worth, there was someone who posted (I think to the Facebook group) that he had separated part of the lid, added some ingredients (IIRC, I think it was some oats because he wanted to make a NE IPA), and stapled it back shut. I recall it turned out fine in his case, but it seems like there would definitely be a chance of backfiring....

Do you ever clean your beer lines (or associated ball lock connectors) out? If so, how often? I only have 6 foot picnic tap lines at the moment and I clean (with pbw) and sanitize (star san) between every brew. It's a total PITA even with that length (admittedly, it's all done in my kitchen sink, so it's a little different), but contemplating that with 10 foot lines is making me avoid it even though I need longer ones...

Wally

I won't admit how often I don't clean the lines, not very often. I would never clean them after every pico batch! It sounds like your taking the lines off and soaking them? Just fill a keg with a little BLC solution or pbw is ok too. Hit it with a little pressure, then run the cleaner through the lines a bit. Then stop and let it soak in the line a bit. Then run it out, and repeat with water, then star San. I do run star San through my lines usually when I'm sanitizing a keg I'm about to rack to. It's full of star San so I run a bit through my line if it's gonna get tapped right away. Star San isn't the same as cleaning but in my lazy mind it's better than nothing.

My 2 cents for what it's worth. Pellets are worst. Fresh hops are easier to maintain complete during a brew. Pellets tend to almost disintegrate, where fresh hops stay in whole during boil.

I would also suggest against it overall.

Enjoy your un-hacked packs! ;-)

I would highly recommend second thought on opening the pack. Have you seen what happens when a pack seal fails, even slightly in the corner? It's a pretty big mess.

Thanks guys. Bad idea on my part. Maybe the Z at some point.

@Lbarouf: If you're still looking, the Best Buy Kegerator is on sale for $350.00. Not quite the deal that jrb received but still a good price.

Wally

I'm putting together one of these. I was a bartender for 6ish years in my youth and I can tell you those lines can get nasty if not cleaned regularly. The above will cost $20 to $25.

Obviously there's a huge difference between a bar and what we do, but...

For what it's worth, there was someone who posted (I think to the Facebook group) that he had separated part of the lid, added some ingredients (IIRC, I think it was some oats because he wanted to make a NE IPA), and stapled it back shut. I recall it turned out fine in his case, but it seems like there would definitely be a chance of backfiring....

Ah, thanks for this. I don't have Facebook.....
I wonder what kind of glue they are using. Toxicity... ?
If I would hack anything, I would replace the pack with a plastic or silicon one that would close and not "explose".

I really hope new ingredients will be made available for FreeStyle.

Is it possible/easier/cheaper to punch 2 holes on that Insignia kegerator tower, and adding 2 more taps right and left of the one there?

I hate the idea of removing a perfectly working tower and replacing it. Seems to make more sense to modify that one.

I'm putting together one of these. I was a bartender for 6ish years in my youth and I can tell you those lines can get nasty if not cleaned regularly. The above will cost $20 to $25.

This is perfect, thank you!

Wally

I made one of those years back. Found the keg method much less hassle but that definitely works.

Is it possible/easier/cheaper to punch 2 holes on that Insignia kegerator tower, and adding 2 more taps right and left of the one there?

I hate the idea of removing a perfectly working tower and replacing it. Seems to make more sense to modify that one.

Ya I don't see why not. The one that comes with it is pretty cheap and i definitely wanted stainless and perlick faucets. I just looked up my order, it was placed June 10 so it was a Father's Day sale. Not sure if it will get that cheap this year but the price definitely fluctuates often.

Worst case, you replace it if it doesn't work, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

Another option might be to make a T style top for it like this. There's not much room in those towers. Between the faucet and the lines it's pretty tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made one of those years back. Found the keg method much less hassle but that definitely works.

I'll have to give your way a try and see which is easier for me.

Ironically, the poster changed to the sprayer because he thought using a keg was a hassle; although he might be using a 5+ gallon keg. It might just be a hassle using a larger keg.

I usually do 2 or 3 rinses after each Zymatic brew and then a cleaning cycle every 3 batches or so. Just this past weekend I cleaned my Zymatic lines using a bucket, this pump from Amazon, and some flare unions to join the hoses. Ran a PBW solution through that for about an hour and it was amazing how much of the brown buildup came out. I've run cleaner through those lines before, but this time I left it on for a long time. I also took apart the ball lock disconnects that hook up to the brewing keg and soaked them for 1.5 days and the amount of junk that came out was crazy.

I'll have to give your way a try and see which is easier for me.

Ironically, the poster changed to the sprayer because he thought using a keg was a hassle; although he might be using a 5+ gallon keg. It might just be a hassle using a larger keg.

Exactly, I was using 2.5 g kegs and now Pico kegs. And my kegerator is very close to sink where I mix up and rinse everything. 5g kegs would be a different story. We are all creatures of habit and your setup plays a part in what's more convenient.

Brewed my second batch this afternoon. When I got done, the hops filter was full of wort. I poured it into the step filter and then into a 16 oz glass (filled it up). When I took the top off of the machine, the reservoir was about half full (half gallon'ish). Is this normal?

Brewed my second batch this afternoon. When I got done, the hops filter was full of wort. I poured it into the step filter and then into a 16 oz glass (filled it up). When I took the top off of the machine, the reservoir was about half full (half gallon'ish). Is this normal?

You followed the instructions and used the black line and keg wand to vacuum the top reservoir right? I hope so this is the built in rinse cycle and very necessary to keep your Pico clean. Yes it's supposed to be about half full after the brew.

As far as the hops bin I always take a toothpick and make sure the little holes on the bottom are punched through, it's easy to tell how it's supposed to be sometimes there is a hanging chad. Also, make sure you have the cradle on right, after you install the pack make sure the holes line up correctly through the cradle there is a right and wrong way.

You followed the instructions and used the black line and keg wand to vacuum the top reservoir right? I hope so this is the built in rinse cycle and very necessary to keep your Pico clean. Yes it's supposed to be about half full after the brew.

As far as the hops bin I always take a toothpick and make sure the little holes on the bottom are punched through, it's easy to tell how it's supposed to be sometimes there is a hanging chad. Also, make sure you have the cradle on right, after you install the pack make sure the holes line up correctly through the cradle there is a right and wrong way.

I did vacuum and rinse it. I'm just being paranoid about the process I think. The wort looked and tasted fine.

Thanks for the toothpick tip. Do I need to do the same with the grain?

Right on. I may just have to drive there and buy one! ;-)

$299.99 this morning. 6 month zero percent financing if you use their card.

I ended up buying one so that I can add kegsmarts at some point. Father's day sale might drop it to $288 if you're not in a hurry.

Trying to decide whether to keep the other one to use as a fermenter or eat the shipping and return it. Better half is laughing at me. She told me I'm going to need to get a second job soon to pay for my new hobby...

Not the correct forum, but anyone have any thoughts on Intertap vs Perlick?

Welcome to the hobby, like any other it costs a little coin :)

Never used intertap but I'm a huge fan of perlick after owning several cheap taps the perlicks are worth every penny.

$299.99 this morning. 6 month zero percent financing if you use their card.

I ended up buying one so that I can add kegsmarts at some point. Father's day sale might drop it to $288 if you're not in a hurry.

Trying to decide whether to keep the other one to use as a fermenter or eat the shipping and return it. Better half is laughing at me. She told me I'm going to need to get a second job soon to pay for my new hobby...

Not the correct forum, but anyone have any thoughts on Intertap vs Perlick?

Not in hurry. $12 difference though... timing may be better for Father's Day in my case. That's great! Thanks....

Back