Pick a question, any question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhusudan

Reaction score
Over the past year since finding this forum I have managed to get three batches of cider under my belt, or about 18 gallons. All three batches were made with nothing more than store bought juice and yeast. My only variations were in the yeast I chose.

Having recently received an antique 5 gallon water cooler bottle I now have three vessels, including my original 6 gallon glass carboy and 6 gallon bucket. All three are now full of this season's locally pressed cider. Mission accomplished.

But, I'm starting to develop a hankering for doing something a bit different. At this point I'm ready to start expanding my experience with additions.

I currently have the 5 gal full of 4 gallons of cider with around 8 pounds of honey for my first cyser. I'm really excited for this one.

The other two are actively fermenting, and I don't want to mess that up. At the same time, I'm open to suggestions on adding tea, raisins, some sort of sugar (brown, white, corn), spices or something else. Can you help sway my mind? I'm a cautious man and value simplicity, so not willing to deviate too far from what I'm doing, but open to suggestions.

That was my first and most important question. Thanks. The others, if you care to answer are:

Whenever I put an airlock full of water onto the carboy, all the water moves into one chamber. How to stop that, for aesthetics' sake?

I've seen a larger (9 or 10 gallon) vessel for sale at my local homebrew shop. Anyone have experience with something like that? Seems like the more you make at once, the better, no?

It appears, through my reading of this forum and elsewhere, a majority believe in racking after one month, at the latest. A significant minority, however, state racking isn't necessary at all. Can you give me your opinion to inform me further?

I've calculated that I'd need 7 six gallon carboys to make enough cider to get me through a year only drinking one bottle a day. Not sure on that, as it was a while ago that I added it up. But anyhow, wondering, for the semi-serious cider maker- How many carboys do you own? Eventually I'd like to produce all I drink, excepting an occasional tipple.

I've read that plastic buckets do allow some air to enter. How long can one safely age a cider in plastic? Or, is that a non-issue?

Is there a national (US) name brand apple juice that comes in glass gallon jugs? I'd like to start experimenting with recipes.

Well, that's more than a few questions. I tried to get them all into one thread rather than crowding up the board, though I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of. Many thanks to all the people who share their knowledge and experience on this forum.

Well, I don't know much about cider.. but two of my local grocery stores sell apple cider in 1 gallon jugs.. Whole Foods and Fresh Market. Good luck with your cider!

I usually start making cider in sept. I have 2 ale pails, 1 6.5 gal carboy, 1 3 gal carboy, and 2-1 gal jugs. I make 5 to 10 gal at a time. As the apple season progresses I'm usually able to make 3 different runs. Different varieties of apples mature at different times, and makes a nice variety of flavors. My last run, at the beginning of nov. last year, sugars were so high that my OG was 1.071 with apples alone. Fermented with DV-10, man that was a delicious cider. Came out at 9% ABV, and it would sneak up on you in a hurry. Happy Days!:cross:

You might try Graff: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

It's easy & a very forgiving recipe. I've been experimenting with various grains & adjuncts in the basic Graff recipe for a while now. Different malt exctracts, different amounts, different types of apple juice, etc...

I've even played around with adding caraway seed & that turned out to be REALLY tasty! I've also used raisins & lemon zest. On the list of things to try are special B, oat malt, toasted flaked oats, rye malt, flaked rye, molasses, etc...
Then of course you could always try your hand at making beer, wine or mead; lots of possibilities with those too.

When I rack cider/graff, I wait till it clears before racking to secondary.
As far as the liquid in your airlock goes, who cares if it's in 1 chamber or another so long as it's working the way it should? If it really bugs you that much, get a 3 piece airlock.
Not counting 1 gallon jugs, I think I've got 14 carbouys: 3, 5, and 6 gallon sizes. I think I've got 15 1 gallon jugs.
I primary in 8.5 gallon buckets & I've got 3 of those; they're plastic & I've never had a problem with them.
Hope that info helps.
Regards, GF.

Wines are pretty easy to make and recipes are abundant in supply. You can make wine for almost anything including nettles and pea pods.

Might last you a little longer on your 'one a day' quest too. :)

For the 9/10 gallon vessel, make sure you can physically handle it full, or have it in a location where you don't have to move it!

Back