Philly Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Kroosz

Reaction score
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/wildbrew-philly-sour/
Anyone use this? Ph claims of 3.2 to 3.5 achieved in the fermenter.
1603540000785.png

I brewed a batch with it a while ago and was really happy with it. after 6 days I split the batch dry hopping some with sabro and bottling that portion, and putting another portion on some raspberries and kegged that one. Both turned out really tasty with a really pleasant sourness. The bottled batch carbed up just fine without using any conditioning yeast.
dry hopped golden.
87771859-B187-4B39-9F07-BD66760360D1.jpeg

raspberry one
40118BF2-36FF-4D12-BC15-0F66E28D9969.jpeg

I did a Strawberry Rhubarb Gose with Philly Sour. I pitched a little over 1g per liter and the pH ended up somewhere between 3.2 and 3.3.

Did you take a finished Ph measurement?
No, I don't have anything to measure it with. I drink a lot of sours, and this has an acidity inline with most of the kettle sours I have had. About mid-range for sours I have had, assertive sourness but not excessive.

Elric, This looks great! I have been looking for a recipe to use Philly Sour with! Specifically a Dry hopped Sour Ale. Any chance you could share that recipe with us? I brew 5 gallon batches with a Grainfather. Thanks so much, Erik

Elric, This looks great! I have been looking for a recipe to use Philly Sour with! Specifically a Dry hopped Sour Ale. Any chance you could share that recipe with us? I brew 5 gallon batches with a Grainfather. Thanks so much, Erik
No problem.
81% golden promise, 8% pale wheat, 8% flaked oats, 3% acidulated malt. Mashed at 148 for an hour. 10 minute boil followed by a 30 minute whirlpool at 180 with 16ibu worth of sabro. At 5 days I dry hopped (I did around 1.5oz per gallon) and bottled on day ten.

No problem.
81% golden promise, 8% pale wheat, 8% flaked oats, 3% acidulated malt. Mashed at 148 for an hour. 10 minute boil followed by a 30 minute whirlpool at 180 with 16ibu worth of sabro. At 5 days I dry hopped (I did around 1.5oz per gallon) and bottled on day ten.
Thanks so much for your help Elric! Im excited to try this recipe. I started brewing in February of this year and have brewed (21) 5 gallon batches since...but this is the 1st time I am working on building a recipe. I used the Grainfather app to enter all the grains, hops and brewing schedule based on your recipe. Would you please take a look at what I came up with and let me know your thoughts? I so appreciate your guidance and help! Cheers, Erik

Attachments

• Sour Ale.pdf
    892.6 KB · Views: 74
Wow, 7+, that’s going to pack a punch! Mine was at 6 and I thought I was on the higher end. I would either drop it down to the 5.5-6% range or if you really want it that high I would probably use two packs of yeast to make sure you have enough punch to get through all the sugars. Hope you like it!

I thought that was too high as well. I have never built a grain bill by %. Should I just slowly drop the weight of each grain to get that ABV lowered to 5.5%? Any other thoughts about my plan? Thanks so much for all your help! I was just watching a David Heath youtube video about a similar recipe using Philly Sour yeast but his had no dry hopping. I have wanted to try sabro for a while now...Im excited for this one Cheers! Erik

I thought that was too high as well. I have never built a grain bill by %. Should I just slowly drop the weight of each grain to get that ABV lowered to 5.5%? Any other thoughts about my plan? Thanks so much for all your help! I was just watching a David Heath youtube video about a similar recipe using Philly Sour yeast but his had no dry hopping. I have wanted to try sabro for a while now...Im excited for this one Cheers! Erik
That’s exactly how I play with the grain bill to get it to the abv I am shooting for. I do non-standard batch sizes otherwise I would have given you my weights. I think sabro is just an amazing hop to go in a sour, I hope you like it as much as I do. Otherwise it all looks good to me.

Awesome! I will adjust and post my results. I have a both a NEIPA and a Pumpkin Ale on tap now and a Cascadian Dark Ale with toasted coconut fermenting now. This Sour Ale will be up next! Thanks again for all your help, Erik

I brewed a batch with it a while ago and was really happy with it. after 6 days I split the batch dry hopping some with sabro and bottling that portion, and putting another portion on some raspberries and kegged that one. Both turned out really tasty with a really pleasant sourness. The bottled batch carbed up just fine without using any conditioning yeast.
dry hopped golden.
View attachment 703758
raspberry one
View attachment 703759
Hey! These look great! I have a raspberry sour going at the moment and plan on bottling it. However; it seems pretty carbonated when i took a gravity reading. I have some CBC-1 bottling yeast, would you recommend adding some of that when bottling?

Hey! These look great! I have a raspberry sour going at the moment and plan on bottling it. However; it seems pretty carbonated when i took a gravity reading. I have some CBC-1 bottling yeast, would you recommend adding some of that when bottling?
My inclination would be to not add as my own experience and most of what I have seen from others is that the bottles carbonate fine without additional yeast.

My inclination would be to not add as my own experience and most of what I have seen from others is that the bottles carbonate fine without additional yeast.
Should I use priming sugar? Apologies for the dumb question, first time doing a sour.

Yes. It’s not a dumb question at all considering that mixed fermentations, aging, and blending can have an effect on the amount of priming sugar needed for bottle carbing sours. In this case it is a yeast driven sour, that has not been aged or blended so prime as you normally would.

Reporting back on results. I brewed Elric's recipe aducsted for my equiptment and was thrilled by the results. I split the batch after dry hopping and put half the batch on a can of raspberry puree and left the other half plain. The raspberry version was epic. Perfect ammount of sour and fruit. Very refereshing and would not change a single thing. The plain version was ehhhh. I do think I oxydized it and that was a culprit of some papery off flavor. I will try again this summer for sure but fruit the whole batch! I dont think thier is an easier way to brew a sour! Cheers, Erik

Reporting back on results. I brewed Elric's recipe aducsted for my equiptment and was thrilled by the results. I split the batch after dry hopping and put half the batch on a can of raspberry puree and left the other half plain. The raspberry version was epic. Perfect ammount of sour and fruit. Very refereshing and would not change a single thing. The plain version was ehhhh. I do think I oxydized it and that was a culprit of some papery off flavor. I will try again this summer for sure but fruit the whole batch! I dont think thier is an easier way to brew a sour! Cheers, Erik
Glad you liked it! My wife and I don't really drink a lot of sours in the winter but I will be rebrewing this in the spring. Sorry to hear you had some issues with oxidation on your plain batch.

No problem.
following up on this recipe, gotta do a sour for a homebrew comp and this sounds awesome. did you use less water if you only needed a 10 minute boil?

following up on this recipe, gotta do a sour for a homebrew comp and this sounds awesome. did you use less water if you only needed a 10 minute boil?

Yes, I normally add for .75 gallons an hour for boil off so for a 10 minute boil it would only be an additional 16oz to add for my target water volume.

Did my first sour a couple weeks ago with this yeast strain and its my first time ever adding fruit to a batch. i have a question for when it comes time to bottle, i put the fruit in a bag and put it in directly into my primary, so its floating in there. when i go to cool it down do i leave the bag with fruit or remove it first then cool it down? i have this batch in a big mount bubbler with a spigot so i plan to transfer through a filter via the spigot into a bottling bucket when that time comes. any suggestions? been brewing for 10 years but have no clue what im doing here. haha.

I brew with Mr. Beer HMEs in their fermenter (don't laugh, you can get decent beer this way lol).

I recently brewed a comparison of their Sunshine Mango Sour recipe - one using their original recipe with Cooper's yeast and Lactic acid addition ( 0.5 oz/2 gal) and one using Philly Sour yeast instead of the Cooper's yeast and Lactic acid.

In comparing results, I tested acidity using litmus paper and there was not much difference, and little less than a Stiegl Grapefruit Radler. The litmus result though is not as well defined as a digital meter but you need less beer for it :). I may get a cheap digital meter and try again though.

The big difference was in sweetness of the beer (both had 4 oz Lactose) but the Philly Sour version fermented much dryer (attributed to its 80% vs low 70's attenuation), and with the same bottle sugars, conditioned to a bit more carbonation and apparently smaller bubbles.

The combined result was that it gave the feel of a sparkling wine on the tongue and a little more aroma in the glass. Both were nice drinks but definitely different. The recipe called for their Golden Ale HME (nominal 5.5% ABV) a packet of Wheat LME (I used 8 oz Wheat DME), 4 oz Lactose and a can of Jumex Mango Nectar. Next time I may put in more than 1 can.

I have also made this as in original recipe but using Belle Saison yeast and that was really good too.

Litmus 1 was Radler, 2 was Original Recipe, 3 was Philly Sour, 4 was 1 True Lemon sachet in 8 oz water.

The beer is the Philly Sour Mango beer after 3 weeks in bottle.

Attachments

• MangoPhillySour.jpg
    MangoPhillySour.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Mango Sour Litmus.jpg
    Mango Sour Litmus.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back