Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was anybody planning on going to the craft festival at the Navy Yard on the 7th of March? Just bought my VIP tickets and really looking forward to going.

Was there yesterday, and bought grains for a brew this weekend, the owner Paul is an awesome guy. They have the best cornie price around, like $46. I sure could use that certificate, if you want to DM, me I will send my info, or maybe just give me the info and the numbers, Paul might let it slide with that, without you having to mail, either way!

Which LHBS is selling cornie's for $46?

regarding when the new tired hands will be opening, check out their instagram. They have been posting a lot of pics of the new brewery progress.

I moved into the Philly area (originally from S. Jersey, so not far) a little oevr a year ago and I'm finally looking to get back into brewing. I used to do AG and had a temp controller ferm fridge along with a single corny, so nothing crazy but a little more involved than extract.

I'm out near Jenkintown and looking for an active club that isn't too far away. Hoping to meet some awesome people and get my rig back into action :mug:

I moved into the Philly area (originally from S. Jersey, so not far) a little oevr a year ago and I'm finally looking to get back into brewing. I used to do AG and had a temp controller ferm fridge along with a single corny, so nothing crazy but a little more involved than extract.

I'm out near Jenkintown and looking for an active club that isn't too far away. Hoping to meet some awesome people and get my rig back into action :mug:

Not sure what you consider too far, but Philadelphia Homebrew club meets at Philly Homebrew Outlet in Fishtown. That's about a 30 minute drive for you. I'm not a member, just aware because Philly Homebrew Outlet is my LHBS. They meet on the third Friday of the month at 7:30pm.

If anyone in the Philly area is interested in scaling up to a 10 gallon MoreBeer tippy dump system, I'm selling mine.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/4903899106.html

The system uses a HERMS coil, pump and two ranco controllers to automatically regulate the mash temperature. Once you set it, you can go about doing other chores while the mash maintains its own temp. Includes all hosing, fittings, the sparge ring, false bottom, etc. I'll even throw in my mash paddle and a hop spider. Kettles are 15 gal.

Would like to see it go to a good home.

There are a few brewers in Jenkintown, including me. I've met with some before. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to swap bottles or anything.

If anyone in the Philly area is interested in scaling up to a 10 gallon MoreBeer tippy dump system, I'm selling mine.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/4903899106.html

The system uses a HERMS coil, pump and two ranco controllers to automatically regulate the mash temperature. Once you set it, you can go about doing other chores while the mash maintains its own temp. Includes all hosing, fittings, the sparge ring, false bottom, etc. I'll even throw in my mash paddle and a hop spider. Kettles are 15 gal.

Would like to see it go to a good home.

I wish.

Philly Homebrew Outlet announced their bi-annual bulk grain buy. They have some pretty amazing prices. Only caveat as of this most recent buy, you need to join the Philly Homebrew Club for $45 for the year. Still a great deal if you buy 4 bags over the two buys. Plus, you get to attend the meetings and other events.

Avangard Malz Premium Munich Malt Dark 55 LB (15L)
$47.53

Avangard Malz Premium Munich Malt Light 55 LB (8L)
$44.73

Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen Sack 55LBs
$41.93

Avangard Malz Premium Wheat Malt 55 LB Sack
$44.73

Briess Crushed 2-Row 50# Bag Grain Sack 50LB
$48.13

Briess Pale Ale 2-Row Malt 50 LB
$49.00

Briess Uncrushed 2-Row 50# Bag 50LB
$43.40

Briess White Wheat Malt 50 LB 50LB
$46.90

Chateau Pale Ale 25 Kg (55 LB)
$59.29

Chateau Pilsen 2RS 25 Kg (55 LB)
$60.83

Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 LB)
$64.68

Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 LB) FLOOR MALTED!!!
$66.22

Malting Co. of Ireland Stout 25 kg (55 LB)
$51.59

Muntons Maris Otter Malt Blend 55 LB
$62.37

Muntons Pale Malt 55 LB
$55.44

Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 LB
$44.80

Rahr Standard 6-Row 50 LB
$42.00

Simpsons Finest Pale Ale Golden Promise 25 kg (55 LB)
$66.22

Weyermann Pale Ale 25 kg (55 LB)
$56.98

Weyermann Pale Wheat 25 kg (55 LB)
$57.75

Weyermann Pilsner 25 kg (55 LB)
$56.98

Someone else just told me that. Does the rumor say whether it will be only for in bar consumption or take out/distro?

That's the million dollar question man. I can't wait to find out. My guess is it would totally depend on the distributor. My gut is telling me limited distro to key accounts.

Man, if I didn't have a hockey game at 7pm tonight, I'd be brewing for the first time since late Oct.

Would Philly have interest in a HB competition/fundraiser. Brewers submit and serve (1) 5 gallon batch judged by the public. All who enter would win at least a participation prize of a $25 gift card to some brew store or cash and winners get a few hundred. I am working on the legal end already but need to know if there is interest. So I need a concept of if I will get the brewers. No styles just best beer.

There are a bunch of events like that in the area, so it can definitely be done. So long as you dont pay the brewers for your beer youre fine.

Would Philly have interest in a HB competition/fundraiser. Brewers submit and serve (1) 5 gallon batch judged by the public. All who enter would win at least a participation prize of a $25 gift card to some brew store or cash and winners get a few hundred. I am working on the legal end already but need to know if there is interest. So I need a concept of if I will get the brewers. No styles just best beer.

Hey, I like the idea of getting the gift card, but #1: getting that may seem like payment, and #2: If you get too many brewers, you really won't be raising much money for the fundraiser will ya? ;)

I am working in different ideas like $25 for working the event aka pouring your brew for the public. I figure 30 brewers at 48 beers each is 1,440 servings and at a 6 pack per person is 240 people. And yes I am just throwing numbers against the wall and have no idea what I'm doing

Any interest in Philly for rhizomes or crowns? Three years ago I planted Glacier, Halletaur, and
Tettnang And I just don't brew with these hops. They are still in the ground but I am gauging interest. All are available for trade

I'd throw down 5 Gal of my new Grapefruit American IPA

Free hop crowns to good home.
Glacier.
Halletaur
Tettnang
If you insist on leaving some beer when you pick these up I will gladly except.

Howdy folks. Long time, no post. Couple of quick things of interest.

First, I brewed NB's 115 IPA last January. It never carbed up in the bottles. I took into Keystone and was told it's a good barley wine. Tonight I popped all the bottles and added about 5ml of a mixture of one bottle of this beer and 2 packs of champagne yeast. A few bottles carbed up nicely so I am enjoying them now. At room temp they taste REALLY good. Nice surprise. Ought to be fun to see how many of these bottles explode in the next few days.

Second, I have 2 cases of cleaned bottles, free to a good home.
Third, I have 2 5 gallon glass carboys. Will exchange for a little homebrew.

Finally, why am I giving stuff away? Well, I am moving to Belgium in the next 6 weeks. Gotta give it away or toss it.

email me at [email protected] if you want any of this stuff. I live in Warminster. Please let me know in the email that you are from HBT.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back