Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whole Foods Plymouth Meeting... Maybe 18 bottles left. 1 per customer strictly enforced. $5.99/bottle.

20140402_120615_zpsb1nfwg1p.jpg

I actually went to Whole Foods to get these....

20140402_122925_zpszct22umr.jpg

Word on the street is Im opening a hard cidery. Gotta do the market research.... tough job.

Off topic, but I wanted to check one last time if anyone wants to go in on a pallet of cases with psutron and myself. We are looking to find takers for the remaining 50 cases of long neck 12 ouncers at $7.53 per case. If anyone is interested, please PM psutron or me within the next few days and we will place the order.

You might want to reach out to some LHBS and see if they can help you fill the pallet. No clue if they will but just a thought. I would imagine you would have a better chance with the smaller shops.

Wegman's KOP put it on sale at 1:00 limit 2/per for $6ea and sold out in 10min

I woulda ran over there too if I'd known it was going on sale at 1.

Still not sure why I even care. If I got my hands on 2 bottles I'd probably drink one. I'm taking one in to work for the staff to share. Cause that's the kind of guy I am.

Wegman's in Montgomeryville told me they're getting KBS today around noon. I stopped in on my way to work this morning to try and get ahead of the rush. I'll be heading over there on my lunch break. Leave some for me.... lol

Total Wine in Claymont had....

Stone Go To IPA, some Rise Up, and a sixer of Lot 3. And two bottles of the 3rd installment of the Ommegang GOT beer...

Total Wine in Claymont had....

Stone Go To IPA, some Rise Up, and a sixer of Lot 3. And two bottles of the 3rd installment of the Ommegang GOT beer...

Nobody wants that crap... get outta here Fess with that amateur garbage. :ban:

Hey Guys...been busy for awhile. Ended up accidentally allowing my 115 IPA to age for 3 months before bottling last night. Going to bottle a West Coast Red tonight but I kinda want to dry hop it. May toss in an once of Citra I have for another kit in a secondary and let it sit for another week.

I have a bit of a question and I think I may know the answer. I am getting an apple flavor from my Pale Ale. It's very light as I added too much water at the start. I let it ferment for 3 1/2 weeks before kegging. Is the apple from sitting on the trub too long? Used White Labs California Ale 001 with starter. I am also getting a banana flavor from a Kolsh I did. Both were cheap kits from ABW.

I am just here to whine. I was already to try to brew Yoopers house pale ale today But nnnooooo I had to get an infection and have emergency extraction a wisdom and another tooth just cause I had a softball on my chin. #not drunk but great painkillers.

Hello my name is Drizzt and I have a brewing addiction.

Thanks my biggest problem now is I missed a brew day. I was so desperate I happily delabeled and cleaned 22's just to get something brewing related done.

Hello my name is Drizzt and I have a brewing addiction.

So, I tell the girl behind the counter (sorry, no name) I'm a Keystone Homebrew club member. I’ve been told before that I’m in the computer, but always mention it to be sure to get the 10% discount. She asks for my membership card. Hmmm, been buying my grains there for a long time (somewhere around 10 sacks a year) and never been asked that before. She says something about them wanting to be sure members are active and having to pay for club activities. New policy. Guess I missed the memo. WTF, I didn’t need that $18 dollars anyway. :rolleyes:

So, I tell the girl behind the counter (sorry, no name) I'm a Keystone Homebrew club member. I’ve been told before that I’m in the computer, but always mention it to be sure to get the 10% discount. She asks for my membership card. Hmmm, been buying my grains there for a long time (somewhere around 10 sacks a year) and never been asked that before. She says something about them wanting to be sure members are active and having to pay for club activities. New policy. Guess I missed the memo. WTF, I didn’t need that $18 dollars anyway. :rolleyes:

That sucks! I have always been given the discount automatically without even having to ask but I guess I will have to make sure I have my membership card with me next time I go in just to be safe.

well, if you really are a member, you've been getting the emails from the Keystone Hops club.

I'm not accusing you of not being a member, but this went into effect a while ago (want to say over 6 months, but not 100% on that) so it shouldn't be news to you. I'm not a member, and still get their emails (went once, a while ago). It used to be free to go to a meeting. They are trying to do stuff with that club that other clubs in the area are doing (bringing in guest speakers, club brews at area micro's, etc). that takes money. So, the perk to paying club dues (which are what, $15 or $25 a year), you get a card and get your discount.

. . . I guess I will have to make sure I have my membership card with me next time I go in just to be safe.
So you have a card? Mind telling me what the dues are? She never gave me the option to join. Maybe I read into it wrong, but she made it sound like they were trying to weed out inactive members like me who were using membership for the discount. Made me feel really important to them after shopping there since I started brewing seven years ago.

I have been to a couple of meetings, but I'm from NJ and it's a good 45-60 minute drive one way. I considered them my LHBS because they had always been friendly, helpful and accommodating. I know Joe at Princeton Homebrew and have felt bad about not giving him my business, but I was loyal to Keystone since I started with them. It will take me a while to go throught the 135lbs of grain I just bought from Keystone, but the 15 minute drive to Princeton Homebrew will be welcome.

I'm not accusing you of not being a member, but this went into effect a while ago (want to say over 6 months, but not 100% on that) so it shouldn't be news to you.
Yes I get the newsletter and emails, but admit to not reading them cover to cover. Just a quick skim to see if anything looks interesting, so I must have missed it. For what it's worth, I also spent over $80 there at the beginning of February and got the club discount. There was no mention of the new policy, but one of the guys who knows me was at the register.

In hindsight, I shouldn’t be ranting (whining) here. I should have known and shouldn’t expect special treatment. If nothing else, this might be a heads-up to some other Philly Area homebrewer who uses Keystone Homebrew and hasn’t gotten the news.

So you have a card? Mind telling me what the dues are? She never gave me the option to join. Maybe I read into it wrong, but she made it sound like they were trying to weed out inactive members like me who were using membership for the discount. Made me feel really important to them after shopping there since I started brewing seven years ago.

I have been to a couple of meetings, but I'm from NJ and it's a good 45-60 minute drive one way. I considered them my LHBS because they had always been friendly, helpful and accommodating. I know Joe at Princeton Homebrew and have felt bad about not giving him my business, but I was loyal to Keystone since I started with them. It will take me a while to go throught the 135lbs of grain I just bought from Keystone, but the 15 minute drive to Princeton Homebrew will be welcome.

Yeah, they only offer the discount to full (paying) members. I have a card but I haven't ever had to show it to get my discount because they have it in their system that I am a paid member.

You can still go to the meetings without being a paid member but you don't get the discount and can't compete in club competitions/particpate in club events (we did a brew day at free will brewing the other month).

It is only $25 a year and you get a pretty sweet Keystone Hops Homebrew Club tee shirt. Add that, the discount and the club events we do and it more than pays for itself.

Yes I get the newsletter and emails, but admit to not reading them cover to cover. Just a quick skim to see if anything looks interesting, so I must have missed it. For what it's worth, I also spent over $80 there at the beginning of February and got the club discount. There was no mention of the new policy, but one of the guys who knows me was at the register.

In hindsight, I shouldn’t be ranting (whining) here. I should have known and shouldn’t expect special treatment. If nothing else, this might be a heads-up to some other Philly Area homebrewer who uses Keystone Homebrew and hasn’t gotten the news.

well, if it makes you feel better, I know alot of the employees, a couple of them are in our homebrew club even, and I still don't get a discount up there. I've been buying from there for 10+ years... ;)

Anyone going to the canning event at Keystone next month? I wish I could can some of my beer but I just put my last batch in bottles and probably won't have enough time to make another batch in time.

Anyone going to the canning event at Keystone next month? I wish I could can some of my beer but I just put my last batch in bottles and probably won't have enough time to make another batch in time.

I'd like to.. I have an ipa that I am going to keg next week (wed), but I am not sure if I should can it after only 1.5 weeks in a keg.. Has anyone canned before? Do you think that if fully carbed after a week and a half it would be ok to can?

I've got six cases of clean empties (with labels) that are going to be recycled on Monday. If anyone wants them, shoot me a pm.

Edit: The bottles are spoken for.

As a Keystone Employee I apologize for the confusion and lack of explanation regarding the new Keystone Hops discount policy. The information some of the other guys on here mentioned is all correct. Effective Jan 1 2014 to get the 10% discount you have to be a "full" member of the Hops. That just means paying the $25 dues for the year. Keystone as a shop doesn't get any of that money, it all goes to the club to help support things already mentioned like guest speakers and special events. When you pay the dues we make a note on your customer account so we don't always ask for the card if the note is present. The $25 is well worth it for the year if you plan to attend any of the special events. Whoever rang you out should've better explained how the new system works. Technically speaking the Keystone Hops is a solo entity and not run by Keystone Homebrew. Sometimes communication gets lost on it's way between the club and the store. We appreciate you making the trek over from Jersey when Princeton is in your backyard. Every customer is important to us and we hope to help you again in the near future.

Just to be clear, I don't get paid to be on here answering questions regarding Keystone. I just love where I work and love our customers...

Ok I want 2 opinions from the local crew:

1) Wife and going on date night this Saturday. We live in Central Bux and looking for a brewpub. We LOVE Forrest and Main but just want to try something else out. Never been to Tired Hands. Worth the drive? It's about 40 minutes. Funny thing it's about 10 minutes from where I grew up. If not worth it, where do you recommend?

2) Am I being overly sensitive or is it okay that I find most of the Beer Advocate reviews by peeps to be overly *****y? I just read one that said: "A two-finger head of dense, eggshell-white foam sets up immediately and then takes its sweet time slowly collasping, leaving a generous ring of lace around the sides of the glass."

My review of beers: Color, taste from first sip, final review. Like or Don't like. End of story.

1) Wife and going on date night this Saturday. We live in Central Bux and looking for a brewpub. We LOVE Forrest and Main but just want to try something else out. Never been to Tired Hands. Worth the drive? It's about 40 minutes. Funny thing it's about 10 minutes from where I grew up. If not worth it, where do you recommend?

2) Am I being overly sensitive or is it okay that I find most of the Beer Advocate reviews by peeps to be overly *****y? I just read one that said: "A two-finger head of dense, eggshell-white foam sets up immediately and then takes its sweet time slowly collasping, leaving a generous ring of lace around the sides of the glass."

My review of beers: Color, taste from first sip, final review. Like or Don't like. End of story.

1: I like tired hands, it can get real busy. What about the general Lafayette or whatever it's name is now. Have not been since it was the general. (Non brewpub choices) Teresa's next door it a solid choice, or tjs everyday.

2: yes *****y

The food a Barren Hill is not particularly good but the beer is awesome (on par with f&m). Tired hands has good beer but not much for food (small menu of mostly panninis). F&M is much better than the alternatives because they have awesome beer AND food.

In response to #2...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/beer-advocate-reviews-413318/

I'll second the Barren Hill. I've not had any issue with their food, the fish and chips was quite good. Beer selection is pretty awesome, from the 12 or so brewed beers to 12 or so guest beers. if you haven't been, Earth Bread is pretty good too, awesome flat breads. not quite as "intimate" for a date night, but good spot non the less. Could always do a Germantown Pike bar crawl, start at either Earth Bread or Barren hill, and work your way toward the other (while stopping at the Iron Hill in Chestnut Hill, damn good beers there too).

To your second point. I rarely use BA, and when I do, its for one thing: Their "I'm in x city, where are the place's I should go" guides. Get a general sense on ratings, then go to the beermappingproject.com site to find out where I am in relation to the recommended places from BA.

other than that, that site is a waste of my time anymore. I love reading things from beer snobs that will tell you how a beer is made, when they have absolutely no clue. I like craft beer (why else would be here). I can enjoy pretty much anything but a Rauchbier. I'm not going to be a super ****** about it. And I'll drink most any macro product but an outright budweiser product (convinced it's the beechwood aging ;) ).

Latest posts

Back