Phenols and esters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduetime

Reaction score
This is the first time I've decided to really learn about yeast in the process of homebrewing. One of the things I'm trying to figure out is regarding Phenolics and Esters. I know fermentation temperature plays a role in these but can't seem to find an answer to what I'm looking for. I was searching for a yeast to bring out the clove-like phenols but with limited fruity esters. Had I been able to get my hands on Wyeast 3944, I would have went with that given it's description. However, I was not able to do so. I just pitched my dunkel onto a yeast cake of Wyeast 3522. If I understand things right, I could ferment in the upper temperature range to increase the phenolic and over-pitch to decrease esters right?

I'm a bit confused on this contradictory information.

According to this, "Low pitching rate can result in less esters."

However, according to this, "Under pitching may increase esters."

You are looking for the phenolic aromatic compound known as 4-vinyl guaiacol which in most cases is an indicator of an infected beer. I would use a Weizen yeast with wheat malts. This combo should give you what you are looking for to a certain point.

Back