Persimmon ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutFan

Reaction score
What about an ale with persimmon dumped in the secondary? What style would you try? White? Dubbel? Sour? How much fruit? Any spicing? I would say a sour with gruit spices, no hops, persimmon in the secondary and cinnamon sticks in the aging tank? What are your thoughts? Go!

Well. I guess my posts just go unanswered here now. Thanks guys. It was fun.

Well. I guess my posts just go unanswered here now. Thanks guys. It was fun.

Maybe its because you ask questions about about a fruit that little to no one has brewed with or even tried (common sense). I myself have never tasted permission fruit so I would not know what I would even pair it with.

As a rule of thumb a wheat beer is always a good first beer to try pairing with fruit.

I'll answer, @StoutFan. I'm planning on doing a persimmon beer later in 2015. Persimmons are all over the place here. Not sure what the base will be, perhaps a wheat?

I actually like the idea. i think I'm going to do a regular american ale and add the persimmon to the secondary for aging. think of it like this....budweiser does beachwood in their secondary tanks...why not do little persimmon

Would the bready flavor from the wheat linger over the fruit too much? And I think the sulfery lager flavors might imbalance it.

Persimmons have very subtle flavors so I would go with a basic American blonde ale, with 2-row base malt and perhaps 8-10% Crystal 20, maybe 10% wheat. I like the idea of a little cinnamon long as it is very subtle. A cinnamon stick in the boil or secondary might be too much. Maybe only add like 1/4 teaspoon for 5 gallons, something very slight like that. Gruit herbs and/or sour styles, I like them but in my opinion they do not belong in this beer. Ripe persimmons should be very sweet and that's where the Crystal malt comes in since the persimmon sugars will all ferment out. Maybe even add 3/4 lb lactose (for 5 gallons) for more sweetness and body.

Good luck.

Back