Perfect time for a export stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettPreston

Reaction score
Hi all. Happy brewing!

I'm still pretty new, just bottled and pressure barrelled my 40 pints of export stout which was a extract kit made by simply with the addition of beer enhancer and vanilla added.

It's been in the bottles / barrel since Saturday, I would like to know the best amount of time to leave till it should be good to drink?

It's currently in doors, in the same place as I fermented and wrapped in a towel to keep slightly warmer and light / sun out.

It may of had a slightly warm and quick fermentation which I feel when bottling it smells slightly stronger of alcohol and tasted slightly more roasted etc but not to bad. Drinkable I hope once conditioned.

Your thoughts please..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Generally you need to be patient with stouts, perhapes 6 weeks maybe. Nothing stoping you trying it before then.

6weeks in doors, or half and half? I plan on putting it outside eventually.

So 6 weeks is fine, but how long ideally in doors and then out?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You want to keep it room temperature for the first three weeks so that it can fully carb, after which you can store it cooler if you wish.

Best is subjective. My stout has its best taste now, 2 years after it was brewed and it was stored at room temperature that whole time. I'd wait as long as I could to start drinking it now that you know how long it continues improving.

Back