Stouts turning acidic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

m3B.eer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm curious to know why, as, to my surprise, googling this did not yield many obvious results, why are my stouts turning acidic. And not sour.

The last 2 stouts I brewed: One where I added some Reese's puffs and some peanut butter, The other one a breakfast oat-milk and hazelnut stout, both seem to be turning more and more acidic.

They're all bottled, and on both I missed my priming/carbonation (too low). So they're more flat that I would like them to be, but both seem like as time goes by, the acidity level to taste gets stronger and stronger.

I know roasted malts give a lower pH, but my base for the grain malt came from a recipe from a book. Any other style I brew do not turn acidic.

Open to any ideas or questions! Thank you

OP
OP
M

m3B.eer

Reaction score
Local water is pretty awesome. This is not an issue for sure, as it only happened with my stouts. I might have added a bit of salt, but often do with all my beers.

Erik the Anglophile

Reaction score
Grists with high proportions of dark roasted malts can lower the mash pH A LOT, I have water with ~100mg/L bicarbonates, and still have to add a little baking soda in stouts to keep the pH from dropping too low. I'd suggest getting a water priming spreadsheet and see what your estimated mash pH for this recipe is.

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How long has it been since you bottled the stouts. I find that my stouts are much better after some time so I rarely start drinking them for 3 or 4 months. Your may improve if you give them time. If you have an acetobacter infection you will taste that and it will get much worse with time, telling you that you need better sanitation.

McMullan

wort maker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Local water is pretty awesome. This is not an issue for sure, as it only happened with my stouts. I might have added a bit of salt, but often do with all my beers.
My brewing water is pretty soft and 'anaemic', in terms of minerals. Fine as it is for drinking and mashing very pale beers. Terrible for dark beers, like porters and stouts. It wasn't until I got my brewing water analysed properly and started treating it with brewing salt additions that things improved.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with others and think this is going to come down to your water. Unless you modified your water significantly to keep the pH at an acceptable level for a stout, this is probably where the issue is. You say your water is awesome - what does that mean? Awesome for brewing a particular style? Can you give more detail?

mabrungard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

It's almost certainly your water. An awesome water for some beers, may not be usable for other styles. With respect to stout brewing, your water probably doesn't have enough alkalinity to keep the wort pH from falling too low.

Low pH is not necessarily perceived as 'sour', but it is likely to be tart or sharp. Add the flavor of roast grain in there and it could be perceived as acrid. A stout with proper pH is more likely to come across as richer, coffee- or chocolate-like.

Don't ignore your awesome water. There are no waters that are well-suited to brew all styles. That's where your knowledge and skill as a brewer comes in to make the water 'right'.

Latest posts