Percentage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpume

Reaction score
Hello evry one ..am all new in the brewing industry .i started my fermentation 3 days back and everything seems to be in order looking at the bubbles.what worries me is how do i calculate the alcohol percentage after the fermentation

Did you take a gravity reading of the wort before you dumped it in the fermentation vessel?

The reading is usually taken using either a refractometer or a hydrometer at room temp. or around room temp.

Then, when you believe fermentation is done, you take another reading from the beer in the fermenter. Then after a few days another one, just to be sure it is finished.

The two reading you get from the original gravity sample and the last one from before bottling/kegging, you can use with an online calculator to establish the final ABV % of the beer.

I calculate ABV 2 different ways. Then I blend the 2 together for my personal record.

First thing you need is the OG and FG. You cannot do anything without those.

1) My quick and dirty method is to use this formula
(OG - FG) x 131 = %ABV
ex:
(1.060 - 1.010) x 131 = 6.55% ABV

2) I use a variety of different phone apps and online calculators (As shown in the attached images below).

3) Then I average them all together.
(6.579 + 6.6 + 6.56 + 6.55)
AVG = 6.57% ABV

The formula is not completely accurate, but neither are any of the apps or other extremely complicated formulas. But they all drop you in the same general ballpark. But just do the average and you’ll be fine. Or just use one. A 100th of a decimal is not that big a difference anyway. RDWHAHB

IMG_5204.jpg

IMG_5205.jpg

IMG_5206.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back