peptic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinks

Reaction score
At what stage should this be added to a cider? In the secondary or just before bottling?

unless you've heated the cider at some point, you shouldn't need it. Heat sets pectin, and the peptic enzyme is used to break it down. Did you boil your cider at all?

Whoops, I think I meant to type pectic, kinda posted in a rush last night. The local home brew places suggested I use some of this to help clear my cider up a little bit. Also I did not boil the cider.

I use pectic enzyme in all my fresh fruit and juice wines and ciders. It goes in primary, about 12 hours before you pitch the yeast, and about 12 hours after campden.

If you've got a pectin haze now, you can add it to see if it clears. You could dissolve 1/2 tsp per gallon in a little of the cider and then pour it in and gently stir. If you don't have a pectin haze, there is no need for the enzyme.

If you are using fresh pressed cider, you might want to add some at the very beginning with your campden, if using filtered apple juice, you don't really need either...

Back