Pepper+Peppercorn Black Ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adomka

Reaction score
I want to make an earthy, spicy and florally Black Ipa. This is my rough 1st draft so far:

**Attempt at Spicy/Peppery Black IPA**

**Grains**

* 12 lb 2-row (75%)
* 1.5 lbs Rye Malt (9.4%)
* 1 lb Chcolate Rye Malt (6.2%)
* 12 oz De-bittered Black Pearl (4.7%)
* 12 oz Caramel 80L (4.7%)

**Hops (IBUs 68)**

* 0.75 oz Warrior (60min)
* 1 oz Challenger (30min)
* 1 oz Santiam (30min)
* 1 oz Saaz (10min)
* 1 oz Cascade (10min)
* 1 oz Santiam (10min)
* 1 oz Santiam (0 min)
* 1 oz Cascade (0 min)
* 1 oz Saaz (0 min)

**Others**

* 1-2 oz of crushed black peppercorns
* 1 cayenne pepper

All opinions appreciated, never used any type of peppers or peppercorns before. Cayenne is what I have on hand but will switch out if anyone thinks there is a better pepper to use .

Last edited:
I have experimented four times with pepper or peppers now. The first was a specialty beer some friends posed as a challenge for the super bowl last year. It was a chipotle pineapp-ale. The heat of the chipotle was a nice complement to the pineapple, but it was far from a perfect beer. It is hard to dial in the right amount of heat with chipotle and many other varieties.
I have since used peppercorns three times. The first time I set one gallon of a tripel in a secondary with a gram of peppercorn melange. This came out very peppery with some nice floral notes. I think it was better than the regular tripel. My second and third attempts were also with Belgian styles, and I used much smaller amounts just to add subtle flavor, without any heat.
Side note on hop selection: I haven't experienced it myself, but in some research for the last brew I read that Santiam can show black pepper notes.

Thanks,

I updated the recipe using Santiam hops as well, I am unsure of how much to use though. As if some hops I have should I use more or less?

I have experimented four times with pepper or peppers now. The first was a specialty beer some friends posed as a challenge for the super bowl last year. It was a chipotle pineapp-ale. The heat of the chipotle was a nice complement to the pineapple, but it was far from a perfect beer. It is hard to dial in the right amount of heat with chipotle and many other varieties.
I have since used peppercorns three times. The first time I set one gallon of a tripel in a secondary with a gram of peppercorn melange. This came out very peppery with some nice floral notes. I think it was better than the regular tripel. My second and third attempts were also with Belgian styles, and I used much smaller amounts just to add subtle flavor, without any heat.
Side note on hop selection: I haven't experienced it myself, but in some research for the last brew I read that Santiam can show black pepper notes.

Would you recommend on just using peppercorns? Im on the fence about adding some chillies for a bit of heat.

My advice would be to add one or the other and get a good idea of what flavor you get from that. Most of the fun in this hobby is experimenting. Maybe set aside a gallon to dry-pepper

Get rid of the 30min hops. You get less ibu for your bucks and most if not all flavour/aroma gets boiled away. Rather increase the 60min for more ibu and add the rest at 10min, wirlpool or dryhop stage.

This is my updated Hop Schedule
Type # %/IBU
1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Santiam [6.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
2.00 g Peppercorns - Boil 10.0 mins
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Loral [12.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Santiam [6.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Loral [12.10 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days
1.00 oz Santiam [6.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days