Pellicle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Please forgive me for asking this as I'm currently fermenting my first intended sour. I did a lot of research both from wild brews as well as HBT forums about making a lambic. I used a traditional turbid mash which btw is a huge pain but everything went well and I hit all my numbers and everything seems fine with the brew day itself. This has been in my primary now for a couple days over a month and I already seems that a pellicle is forming. My question is , is this normal to get a pellicle that quickly ? Everything I have read says a pellicle is like a defense against oxygen and if one ever forms it more likely will be close to the 8 month mark give or take. I am using ga 6.5 gallon glass fermenter and a three piece airlock and I have a fermentation room that the internal temp is at 71 degrees measured usin a immersion well and a probe. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Please forgive me for asking this as I'm currently fermenting my first intended sour. I did a lot of research both from wild brews as well as HBT forums about making a lambic. I used a traditional turbid mash which btw is a huge pain but everything went well and I hit all my numbers and everything seems fine with the brew day itself. This has been in my primary now for a couple days over a month and I already seems that a pellicle is forming. My question is , is this normal to get a pellicle that quickly ? Everything I have read says a pellicle is like a defense against oxygen and if one ever forms it more likely will be close to the 8 month mark give or take. I am using ga 6.5 gallon glass fermenter and a three piece airlock and I have a fermentation room that the internal temp is at 71 degrees measured usin a immersion well and a probe. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

No need to be concerned, a pellicle may show up right away or never. I've had some beers form wild bubbly, stringy pellicles and others that barely formed a surface skin over a year+ aging.

I was excited when I noticed the pellicle on my first sour. Not sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing because it formed about a month after I opened up the carboy for the first time to steal a taste at the five month mark I think. So I'm assuming I must have got some oxygen in there which lead to it's development. Either way, it is pretty cool looking and I dig showing it off.

No absolutely I think it is awesome !!! I was actually looking forward to one developing I was just concerned because it happened so fast.

Back