Pellet Hops In Garage Storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGeekGuy

Reaction score
While cleaning up my rat's nest, I found three 1oz packs of Crystal hops. They have been in a South Texas garage since about January, still sealed in the HBS vac-packs. I'm planning on throwing them out, unless someone tells me otherwise. :confused:

Edit: And I just found two unopened packs from HopUnion (1 Cluster, 1 Cascade) in the pantry that are about the same age but kept under better temps.... :(

Crack em open and see what they smell like. They may not be as strong, but if they smell good, throw em into something.

i see two options:
1. play it some what safe and do a 1 gallon batch and see what kind of flavor profile you get.
2. do an IPA and just dump it all in, hoping it comes out in about the right IBU range give or take 5-10 IBU

Or open them and place them in a brown paper bag and let sit for another year to use in a lambic that use old hops.

How does what happen? Hops in the garage?

1) You buy supplies with the intention of getting back into brewing after three decades away.

2) Life gets in the way yet again.

3) Loving bride complains about brew kettles, buckets and 'stuff' sitting in the dining room.

4) Grumble and move everything to the garage temporarily.

5) Temporarily turns our longer than expected (stupid life in the way thing again)

6) Finally convince yourself (and the bride) that this is going to happen, dammit!

6) Buy new supplies.

7) Bring everything in from garage to clean and sterilize.

8) Discover possible unhoppy hops, and no one likes to waste.

9) Post on forums and wait for helpful answers.

I do like the suggestions of just opening, sniffing and throw 'em all into some Frankenbeer just for fun. But if it comes out nice, it'll be hell recreating the recipe :(....

If they smell like anything other than sharp Provolone, you have a variety that has yet to be introduced to the rest of the world.

Chalk it up, chuck 'em and move on.

Check out the link in my sig to get a general idea how much aa they have left.

Latest posts

Back