Peaches in the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falconnuke

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing a "Peach IPA", probably adding the peaches and syrup in the boil. Just wondering if that'd be a horrible idea or if it could work.

I'm thinking of brewing a "Peach IPA", probably adding the peaches and syrup in the boil. Just wondering if that'd be a horrible idea or if it could work.

If you're using actual peaches in the boil your brew will be hazy. Research pectin haze. I'd add peaches to secondary if I were you.

Somebody should correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is a bad idea for 2 reasons.

1. You'll kill the flavor/integrity of any fruit if you boil it
2. You will get irreversible pectin haze

In my limited experience with fruit additions, I think the only way to do it correctly is to rack the beer onto fruit in a secondary AFTER you've gotten to your FG, or real close to your FG. Adding fruit to the boil, or during primary fermentation, will essentially destroy the flavor. Other people may chime in, but this is the only way I've got a good fruit flavor in beer. Good luck!!!

So what would a pectin haze do, other than make it hazy?
I guess if the flavor is destroyed it's not worth it (might use the juice in the boil and rack onto the fruit, though).

So what would a pectin haze do, other than make it hazy?
I guess if the flavor is destroyed it's not worth it (might use the juice in the boil and rack onto the fruit, though).

What I've always done with great results is Pasteurize my fruit, mash it up (I use a hand held potato masher like this
31MFDFKKH2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
) And add that to secondary in a grain or hops bag. I've never had bad results doing it this way.

BTW, pectin haze will just make it hazy. I've never boiled my fruit, but I believe you would lose the flavor you're looking for. Kind of like a 60 minute hop addition is for bitterness since you lose almost all hop aroma and flavor.

Latest posts

Back