Peach Wheat OG Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarwoodBrewer

Reaction score
I made a Peach Wheat today. The OG was a little high...at 1.070. Should I be concerned? Here is the recipe. I hope to have a great beer in a month...

(2) 3.3 lb Briess Bavarian Wheat Malt Extract
4oz Crushed Belgian Caravienne Malt Grain
1oz Cluster Hops
1oz Willamette Hops
4oz Peach Flavor Extract (to be added at bottling)
White Labs European Ale Yeast

Has anyone made this recipe before? Did it turn out good?

Mmm, a peach wheat sounds pretty tasty. Was this a kit you bought? If so, as long as you followed the directions and didn't over/under fill with top off water or add something not included with the kit, your OG should be exactly what the kit says it will be. 1.070 does sound high for 6.6lbs extract and 4oz grain. You may have just gotten a sample of the thicker wort if it wasn't stirred completely. Others on here can tell you exactly what an extract kit OG will be with that ingredient list.

Does Briarwood refer to Olathe, KS? Just curious, I grew up near there.

I agree with KC. This sounds tasty. I wouldn't be concerned if your OG is a bit high, letting it age a week or two longer should help in the end. My only concern would be the peach extract at bottling. If its just a flavoring with no diastatic power you should be ok, but otherwise you'll need to figure it into your priming.

Mmm, a peach wheat sounds pretty tasty. Was this a kit you bought? If so, as long as you followed the directions and didn't over/under fill with top off water or add something not included with the kit, your OG should be exactly what the kit says it will be. 1.070 does sound high for 6.6lbs extract and 4oz grain. You may have just gotten a sample of the thicker wort if it wasn't stirred completely. Others on here can tell you exactly what an extract kit OG will be with that ingredient list.

You are correct! I live in Olathe. I've seen your posts before and noticed "KC". I followed the recipe to a T. I measured and watched everything very closely. I may have gathered the thick part of the wort in my tube.

I agree with KC. This sounds tasty. I wouldn't be concerned if your OG is a bit high, letting it age a week or two longer should help in the end. My only concern would be the peach extract at bottling. If its just a flavoring with no diastatic power you should be ok, but otherwise you'll need to figure it into your priming.

The instructions say to add the flavoring in the bottling bucket prior to bottling. Is this wrong?

I don't think I over/under filled with water. I used bottle water (one gallon jugs) and used five gallons...

Cool, I grew up on Tomahawk Drive, right next to Briarwood, and one of my best friends grew up in Briarwood.

I've learned from reading a lot on here that with extract kits, as long as you follow the directions, your OG reading may not be accurate. It is the ingredients that will determine your OG.

:mug:

I don't think I over/under filled with water. I used bottle water (one gallon jugs) and used five gallons...

Did you just use 5 gallons, including pre boil? Or did you top off to 5 gallons after it was in the primary? If you only used 5 gallons total, you would have boiled off quite a bit, leading to your high OG. You want to end up with 5 gallons after topping off the primary.

Did you just use 5 gallons, including pre boil? Or did you top off to 5 gallons after it was in the primary? If you only used 5 gallons total, you would have boiled off quite a bit, leading to your high OG. You want to end up with 5 gallons after topping off the primary.

Oh, crap! Is it too late to add some more water? I put it in the ferm about 3 hours ago. I'm not sure how much to add since I'm using a 6.5 glass carboy. What do I do??????

Well, that explains your high OG. On my 6.5G glass carboys, the 3,4,5 gallon marks I have made are at 8.5", 11", & 13.5" respectively. This should give you an idea of where to fill up to. Sounds like a run up to the grocery store is in order.:mug:

Well, that explains your high OG. On my 6.5G glass carboys, the 3,4,5 gallon marks I have made are at 8.5", 11", & 13.5" respectively. This should give you an idea of where to fill up to. Sounds like a run up to the grocery store is in order.:mug:

Cool. I will top off now. It won't hurt my beer adding water this late in the game?

OK...I added the water last night. Beer is bubbling at 72 degrees! I can't wait to drink it. I hope to drink mid-summer!

Back