Peach Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Dean

Reaction score
**This is a re-post of my beerlog entry. Since I got the recipe from HBT I decided making an entry for other HBTers was prudent. **

Having finished my first batch of EdWort’s Apfelwein I have a base to begin experimentation. My first assumption was that it was a sweet drink, and that I’d like it as a sweet drink. Unfortunately, I was wrong. The good side, however, is that I love the delicious tartness of apfelwein, more I think, than I would like sweet apfelwein. Because I liked that tartness, I thought peach would compliment it well.

This batch is planned to be drank by my co-workers for the company Christmas party on December 8th, 2007.

Base:

5 gallons (10 x 1/2 gallon) Giant brand apple juice. No preservatives, no colors, no flavours. Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) added.

Additions:

67.6 oz of Peach Nectar (Water, Peach Puree, Lemon Juice)

2 pounds Domino light brown sugar

Yeast:

Red Star Montrachet Wine Yeast

Equipment:

6 gallon Better Bottle

Funnel

Three Piece Airlock

Carboy Cap

Process:

Shake the nectar well

Pour into Better Bottle

Pour half of one bottle of apple juice into the Better Bottle

Put funnel into that bottle and pour in 1 pound of brown sugar.

Pour juice from another bottle on top of brown sugar to push it into the bottle, cap, shake well.

Pour the juice-brown sugar mixture into the Better Bottle.

Repeat sugar mixture procedure again with the remaining sugar.

Pour half a bottle of juice into the Better Bottle.

Empty yeast packet into remaining juice, shake well.

Pour juice-yeast into Better Bottle.

Pour full bottle of apple juice into yeast bottle to rinse, pour into Better Bottle.

Pour remaining juice into Better Bottle.

Cap with carboy cap, three piece airlock and fill with vodka.

Primary Fermentation:

Ferment for 6 weeks in computer room (62 -68 degrees)

Secondary:

Secondary is not needed

Kegging:

Kegged at 4 weeks, purged air with C02, stored at room temp in 5 gallon keg.

Notes:

I was a bit worried in the beginning that the lemon juice in the nectar would cause problems, it does not.

Peach nectar is kind of thick. This makes the bubbles at top leave a much frothier foam. It’s high enough, actually, that if it were beer I’d call it a low krausen.

A week into the fermentation the puree settles on top of the yeast sediment.

The thickness of the peach nectar made judging fermentation difficult. I couldn’t see any bubbles after the first few days. Since I didn’t know the target gravity, I didn’t take an OG reading. After 4 weeks the apfelwein was not any more clear than day two. Out of fear that the puree was “choking” the yeast, I racked to a secondary and (on a whim) took a hydrometer reading.

Hydrometer read 0995 - less than water - meaning it was already a dry beverage. I decided to keg rather than use a secondary.

Peach apfelwein tastes almost exactly like plain ol’ apfelwein. It is no more tart, no more sweet. The only difference, real or imagined, to me is that this one feels more “smooth” in mouthfeel, less crisp.

After it ages some and is carbonated, my opinion MAY change, but for now this method of peach apfelwein is not worth the trouble and unless it kicks serious ass I won’t be repeating this recipe.

Something you might want to try later is using peach concentrate, as in Welches. I made a white grape peach juice wine (more like a wine cooler) with this stuff, and it came out wonderful.

Welches White Grape Peach Wine

Yield: 3 gal

Ingredients: 9 cans of Welches white grape peach concentrate, water to top, Lalvin 71b-1122 and nutrient.

Mixed concentrate with the water in the carboy, pitched the yeast dry with the nutrient and shook to aerate. OG 1.06. Fermentation was done at about 14 days. After 18 days the FG was .999. Had a slight alcohol burn, bottled at 19 days. Aged some of it for three months more, but didn't notice any change in the flavor. The only real benifit to the aging was to smooth out the alcohol. This would be very good served chilled and carbed.

mike

My Pfirsichwein, made with Kroger store brand white grape peach juice (3 Gallons) and Cote De Blanc yeast was assembled on the 22nd of February. It's still going strong. Just as a side note, the cote de Blanc produces much bigger bubbles than the Montrichet as I have 2 glass carboys sitting right next to each other I have good comparison.

Back