Paulaner Oktoberfest Deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedL

Reaction score
Didn’t know where to post this, but here’s one for all you oktoberfest connoisseurs like me out there. I picked up a Paulaner mug/beer pack yesterday. It comes with a dimpled glass mug and liter can of beer for $10. The interesting thing is I think the beer is their authentic festival beer, not the oktoberfest beer they make for export. It’s lighter in color. The export is darker. Either way, it tastes great and the mug alone is worth $20 online.
FC3080FC-5426-4799-9278-755FA725AA70.jpeg
113111BA-21F6-498E-B36A-83DAEDF818FC.jpeg

I’m positive it’s their actual tent beer, not the made for export version. It’s 6% and lighter colored. The export it 5.8% and darker like a Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I think Oktoberfest in Munich was canceled this year, maybe that’s why they’re exporting some.

I a
I'll check my local Costco when I visit this week. Not being too hopeful as last week wife went to Costco to get a few items we truly needed and a lot of the shelves were empty.
I am in Denver so not sure it’s consistent but saw them at Costco again this morning.

I lived in Stuttgart for 5 years, every Christmas I smuggled back three of these for my dad and brothers. I can confirm that the beer is authentic and FRESH since it is a seasonal style, and the mug is 100% exactly what you drink out of at German bier festivals. Look for the 'RASTAL' logo, it's the most common but anyway the mark of a genuine German beer glass or mug is the calibration marker indicating the fill line. Germans take a proper pour very seriously.

One could argue the superior accuracy of laser-etched marks vs. molded-in lines, but at that point you'd be debating milliliters of difference, and even a halbes of fresh pilsener would render the point moot.

Last edited:
FYI - I found these at my local grocery store in Kansas City this week for $5 (!) a piece. I would have paid $5 for just the liter of Paulaner alone, getting the solid, quart-sized mug was a huge bonus (and I of course refilled the mug with a Vienna lager homebrew after I drank the Paulaner (which was very good, btw)).....

3B332417-BEF7-47BA-A5AE-FA08EA71451F.jpeg
3903CEDA-F987-4F03-9358-A8D16EEE94E6.jpeg
77CBEBA3-8D16-453A-86B2-FD6C07D86CF0.jpeg

Last edited:
FYI - I found these at my local grocery store in Kansas City this week for $5 (!) a piece. I would have paid $5 for just the liter of Paulaner alone, getting the solid, quart-sized mug was a huge bonus (and I of course refilled the mug with a Vienna lager homebrew after I drank the Paulaner (which was very good, btw)).....

View attachment 767333View attachment 767334View attachment 767335
It's not a quart it's a liter, but I'll let that slide since you have excellent taste in both beer and in glassware 😜

I've emptied so many of those over the years, two pro moves I can share to enhance your enjoyment of your new Maß (mug) in the traditional Stuttgarter Wasen fashion:
1. As you finish the last of the beer, watch as it flows toward your mouth like water flowing over river rocks. That is the purpose of the large bumps in the design, not for fashion.
2. Take closeup photos of your friends through the bottom of the glass as a lens, it's like a fun house mirror and the closest thing to actual beer goggles you should want to get.

Last edited:
Ha. I said quart because it says "1 Quart" on the can, and the mug came filled with the can. But the mug would certainly hold a liter because the can did not fill it all the way.

And yes, I noticed the visual (and immersive) effect of having the mug cover your nose & eyes. I took a picture to send to friends.....

74FC26DF-CB8B-4009-B748-2FE818746498.jpeg

I actually just brewed/fermented my guesstimate-clone of this beer. It's ready to keg/bottle (which I hope to do tomorrow). I am very curious to see how close I get on color, and I hope to find it at the store again to compare the taste.

7FCA2080-CB3B-445D-AF4D-F61DC68B0AFD.jpeg

I was able to find them today at total wine and seen bevmo had them a few cities ways.

I pick up one of the steins and a 4pack of cans which all had 5/23/22Q and 5/23/23 etched on the bottoms. I put them in the fridge to cold condition for the next few weeks until my festbier is ready to sample.

edit: A few days back when I first seen this thread I looked at those places online and they did not have them. The cans I bought are pints but they had packages of multiple quart cans too.

Last edited:
I found it in Gaithersburg MD. I know the total wine in McClean Virginia has them as well. I think the mug looks like a standard Paulaner mug.

Attachments

• A7B92A5C-DF5F-48F1-8A98-4FBE7DB9DF9C.jpeg
    A7B92A5C-DF5F-48F1-8A98-4FBE7DB9DF9C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I was able to find them today at total wine and seen bevmo had them a few cities ways.

I pick up one of the steins and a 4pack of cans which all had 5/23/22Q and 5/23/23 etched on the bottoms. I put them in the fridge to cold condition for the next few weeks until my festbier is ready to sample.

edit: A few days back when I first seen this thread I looked at those places online and they did not have them. The cans I bought are pints but they had packages of multiple quart cans too.
I'll check out Total Wine. Thanks for the heads up.

Just got back from a local St. Pete, FL, yuppie Market (think Trader Joe's on steroids) where my daughter likes to shop. They've got a great selection of beer, local, national and international, many in singles. I picked up a selection of Paulaner beers (pils, Munich lager, Festbier), some Pilsner Urquell, a Weihenstephaner Festbier, and a local Jai-Low from Cigar City Brewing (one of the few really nice Low alcohol/low carb beers around; an IPA to boot).

Looks like I've got my work cut out for me tonight.

My clear bottles are Yeboda off Amazon. They are very thick and battle tested and hold-up to high levels of carb.

I mostly keg but bottle the excess and usually use one clear bottle and one plastic bottle to monitor the clarity and carb level (respectively).

Yeah I had the same idea. Have some clear bottles for clarity check when I bottle something. Maybe I should start doing like you and go to 6.5gal batches but then I need a bigger fermenter…

Finally saw it in KCMO today, but just the 1/2 liter cans, no mug (and not nearly the great deal I scored last spring).

73EF6FFB-35E2-444C-AC3B-586E3105E4DA.jpeg

But I did get to compare it to my homebrew version.......

90FC8ED3-C37A-4FC4-9C73-6DFD424B898E.jpeg

I managed to be WAY off on color AND tasted. Even with my homebrew-bias, the original wins the taste test (easily). I'll try again next year (and use 1/10 the munich).

Finally saw it in KCMO today, but just the 1/2 liter cans, no mug (and not nearly the great deal I scored last spring).

View attachment 778634

But I did get to compare it to my homebrew version.......

View attachment 778635

I managed to be WAY off on color AND tasted. Even with my homebrew-bias, the original wins the taste test (easily). I'll try again next year (and use 1/10 the munich).
Looks like you brewed a Marzen and this is a Festbier?

Didn’t know where to post this, but here’s one for all you oktoberfest connoisseurs like me out there. I picked up a Paulaner mug/beer pack yesterday. It comes with a dimpled glass mug and liter can of beer for $10. The interesting thing is I think the beer is their authentic festival beer, not the oktoberfest beer they make for export. It’s lighter in color. The export is darker. Either way, it tastes great and the mug alone is worth $20 online.
View attachment 742088View attachment 742089

Bought many of these in Frankfurt, and then smuggled them back to Texas.
Cost? $7 for the mug and beer.
Taste? Priceless.

Back