Pasteurizing Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkwisconsin

Reaction score
I have a question about Pasteurizing beer. Would it make sense to empty my secondary into my brew pot and bring the whole thing up to 160 degrees to Pasteurize it and then put it back into a secondary for a couple days to let the dead yeast drop to the bottom. Then empty the secondary into my keg and then back sweeten it and then carbonating it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oxidation would be a serious problem with that method, you can bottle off tap and pasteurize them in a pressure cooker.

Negative Ghostrider....

It is pasteurized when it is boiled. As long as you are sanitary after the boil, there is no need to re-pasteurize the beer. The only thing I see your process doing to fermented beer is oxidizing it.

I more so just wanted to know if you could do this to kill the yeast to sweeten the beer.

Just use unfermentable sugar to back sweeten, such as lactose. Way less complicated.

If you want to stop the fermentation, use potassium sorbate. You'd have to force-carb it though with co2.

If you're wanting the beer to be a little bit sweeter, just use a higher mash temp to keep more unfermentable sugar in the beer.

If you're wanting the beer to be a little bit sweeter, just use a higher mash temp to keep more unfermentable sugar in the beer.

You should be careful with that. Typically just high mash temp by itself yields a more dextrinous beer, not necessarily sweeter. I find caramel malts and obviously lactose and such is the better way to go for pure sweetness.

Back