Pasteurizing and Adding Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
I am brewing a honey wheat kit I bought from homebrewing.org. The directions said to add 1 lb of honey during boil. However after doing some research I've decided to add it during secondary (about 7 days after brew day). I was wondering what some good techniques for pasteurization were. I have read about diluting it with water in order to get it at SG before adding, but the kit is based off 5 gallons so I wouldn't be able to add much more water with the honey. My LHBS suggested just heating the honey container in water to 170 for 20 minutes, cooling it to room temp, and pouring it in. Anyone had success doing this? Also, should I add the honey into the secondary carboy first and rack the beer on top or add the honey on top of the beer?

Do it similar to bottling, where you rack on top of it. The swirling action should mix it in nicely. As for heating it, i've made a few brews with honey and I've either added it late, or it was the half of the fermentables. The taste has always come through. If it's in glass, you could heat it to boiling using a double boiler or if you don't care the microwave.

The glass comment referred to microwaving it. The double boiler would work well after speaking to SWMBO

I've added a pound of honey into the secondary of a light ale. It was one of the better beers I've made. I'd go 2 lbs next time.
You can warm the honey in a hot water bath to make it easier to poor into your secondary and it will mix more easily.
Honey doesn't need to be pasteurized after you buy it because most honey is already pasteurized before it's put on the store shelf.

Check out the Mead forum. Great info about honey. It rarely needs any pasturization. And by not heating it you save a lot of the flavor.

Hello, I add 2 Lbs of honey at flame out, don't forget to watch your fermenter temps if you add it to the secondary, it will start a mini primary fermentation again, at least mine did when I tried adding honey to the secondary.

I think on my next batch I will add the 2 Lbs of honey to the primary after about 3 to 4 days, right before the end of vigorous fermentation, extending the vigorous primary fermentation a few days, at least thats my theory on a honey addition in the primary, experienced brewers please chime in if Im off base on something.

Cheers :mug:

Back