Pasteurization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
Is it possible to pasteurize beer after a two week conditioning without ruining the brew?

Without the right equipment, you could be killing the flavor of your brew. I'd recommend filtration, about 50 bucks for a setup, will achieve the same goal.

If stored cold, beer that is bottle conditioned can be good, or even improve, over 6-12 months, so if lifespan is your main objective, cold storage is the best route.

Without the right equipment, you could be killing the flavor of your brew. I'd recommend filtration, about 50 bucks for a setup, will achieve the same goal.

If stored cold, beer that is bottle conditioned can be good, or even improve, over 6-12 months, so if lifespan is your main objective, cold storage is the best route.

Question : if i filter it (which removes the yeast ) how would i bottle condition and carbonate or would i then be forced into kegging and forced carbonation?

Bottle conditioned beer can last just as long as pasteurized beer, depending on style--and will improve with age, for the most part. The only reason for a home brewer to pasteurize would be to stop the flavor changes that will happen in the bottle over time. However, I can't figure out why a home brewer would have a need to do this or would even want to. I age several beers for years and they just get better in time. The stuff that doesn't age well gets consumed or given away long before there is any danger of going stale. Many think they need to do this because the commercial big brewers do it, or because they see "Best if consumed by..." dates on the stuff from the Quickie Mart. If your going to make good beer and store it properly then I can't imagine any reason to pasteurize it.

What style of beer are you wanting to pasteurize? How long do you want to store it? Under what conditions are you wanting to store it?

Bottle conditioned beer can last just as long as pasteurized beer, depending on style--and will improve with age, for the most part. The only reason for a home brewer to pasteurize would be to stop the flavor changes that will happen in the bottle over time. However, I can't figure out why a home brewer would have a need to do this or would even want to. I age several beers for years and they just get better in time. The stuff that doesn't age well gets consumed or given away long before there is any danger of going stale. Many think they need to do this because the commercial big brewers do it, or because they see "Best if consumed by..." dates on the stuff from the Quickie Mart. If your going to make good beer and store it properly then I can't imagine any reason to pasteurize it.

What style of beer are you wanting to pasteurize? How long do you want to store it? Under what conditions are you wanting to store it?

I make fruit beers and i want to be able to make about a 500 bottle batch and store in an air conditioned storage spot in boxes of 24 .. i have stored some that with time (3-6 months ) have lost the great fruit taste which is why i thought of pasteurizing

Latest posts

Back