Pasteurization in USA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMikeAZ

Reaction score
Is it required for larger breweries to pasteurize their beers in the USA? How common is it for microbreweries to pasteurize their beers?

Is pasteurization used more for keeping the taste of the final brew(not that the process keeps it, it does alter it, but I believe that one week in the bottle tastes the same as 2 months) as opposed to letting the beer age with time?

Do they pasteurize beer made in and delivered in europe. I say anything in the bottle and can yes, kegs no. My friend says only beer shipped to america is pasteurized.

My friend and I are arguing about pasteurization and I want to get some good info..

Is pasteurization used more for keeping the taste of the final brew(not that the process keeps it, it does alter it, but I believe that one week in the bottle tastes the same as 2 months) as opposed to letting the beer age with time?

I have family that works at anheuser, there is definitely a difference between the beer he brings home fresh and the stuff in stores .... much better fresh. I don't think flavor has anything to do with the process.

Is it required for larger breweries to pasteurize their beers in the USA?

I don't it's required. You can culture up Chico yeast from Sierra Nevada dregs (they filter, but then add some yeast back in to bottle-condition)

Do they pasteurize beer made in and delivered in europe. I say anything in the bottle and can yes, kegs no. My friend says only beer shipped to america is pasteurized.

Lots of beer shipped to America isn't pasteurized. People culture up yeast from the dregs of all kinds of imports (as well as domestics).

Back