Pasteurization for fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reedequine

Reaction score
I have an all grain wheat beer ready for secondary. Instead of extract i am using fresh/frozen Jersey blueberries. I want to pastuerize the puree and add to secondary. My plan is to heat to 162 for 15 seconds and then cool 68 and add. Does this seem OK?

Is this a hard question> This is about the fourth time I've posted a question and gotten absolutely no response. Maybe the brewers are all busy in the secret forum..............

I think you need to get it hotter - like around 180F - and hold it for much longer (~20-30min) in order to pasteurize. Try checking sites about making mead as fruit is used much more often then for brewers.

I'd google it, but I think I remember doing 165 degrees when I pasturized cherries. I would leave it for at least 15 minutes though, one minute won't be long enough to kill off any nasties. I'm going to be racking onto blueberries myself this weekend, I'm going to try using a campden tablet instead of pasturizing this time.

I just did a Cherry Pale Ale with three pounds of pureed fresh cherries. Based on Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing chapter on fruit and spices I added them to the wort at the end of the boil and held for 20 minutes, starting at 180°F and ending at about 165°F

It is still in secondary, but I do not think it looks infected, if that helps

Latest posts

Back