Passion fruit Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKBugs

Reaction score
I have a passion fruit vine that just keeps on giving, so I figured about making a mead with it.
At bottling in Aug 2018 it tasted really bloody awful. But I had a bottle a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic.

1 gal batch made in April 2018
31/3 pounds honey (bush honey from local beekeeper)
Mangrove Jacks M05 yeast
nutrient
All dumped in together
OG 1.08

Racked at 1.002 and added 1/2 pound of passion fruit pulp defrosted to the secondary. Also added half a vanilla seed.

After a month in secondary i added about 3 grams of oak chips.

At bottling (3 months after racking), it was all hot and oaky with strong passion fruit flavors. I didn't give i much hope at all.
FG was around 1.000 but not sure what the fruit would do with the gravity readings. So maybe around the %10 mark. Don't know, not too concerned.

Anyway, 5 months on and it was really nice - no esters, passion fruit and the oak made for a really nice mouth feel. It was a bit cloudy but that could easily be taken care of next time. I think it will only get better too, which is very endearing.

I will carbonate the next batch as i think the bubbles will really add a zing to the flavor.

My gut feeling said "bah, vanilla and passion fruit, this mix must be disgusting", but then I remembered a drink from my university times which was made of Absolut vodka vanilla and passion fruit juice and it was extremely delicious.

I guess your creation is as well! If I find the time and the honey, I might give it a try myself. But with a bit of remaining sweetness and following the tosna protocol.

Back