Passing an idea by you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two kegs that I'm converting to fermenters. I have them cut open with a 9 inch hole on the top. I plan to cover the hole witha piece of lexan that will be held down by a bar running thru the handle holes and a bolt in the center (may go with two offset from center) pushing down on it. The lid will either be sealed with a rubber washer or I was thinking of putting a bead of silicone on the lid or keg.

But to use these I will have them in my basment and on a shelf. I will have a tube running from outside hooked to my CFC and the other end hooked to the keg. I want to use a weldless fitting for the beer-in barb and I want to have another "port" on top for an airlock / blowoff / racking cane.

Not sure if I want to spend the money right now for 4 weldless fittings, so I was thinking about having the 2nd port just be a hole with a rubber bung. My plan is to be able to use CO2 to push the beer thru a racking cane into my kegs by adding pressure to the keg thru the beer-in port. Do you think a bung pushed in will hold enough pressure to rack with? I know that one in a bottle will but not sure about it only pushed into sheet metal.

Bobby_M said:
I'd push the bung in from the inside that way the pressure will only make it seal better.
Then what happens with I put the cane thru it?

I would love to have a compression fitting on a stainless cane so that once it's set all I have to do is put it in and go. But I have no money right now. :(

I guess what I will have to do is to just get them done with one port and give it a try using the bung. If it does not work I'll have to get some more fittings.

Back