Partial Mash - Recipe and procedure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Argyle

Reaction score
I am looking to attempt to create a recipe for an Amber ale that will work with my 2 Gal MLT setup. From what I have read 4 lbs of grain is the limit for mashing with the MLT.

Here is the recipe
3.3 lbs Amber LME
4 lbs Pale Malt - 2 row US
1 lb Crystal 40L
0.25 lb Roasted Barley
1.50 oz Kent Golding 60 min.
.50 Kent Golding 15 min.

first...is the recipe look OK? I am trying to use Beersmith to be as efficient as with my setup as possible. First time not using an ingredient kit.

Second. I have the 2 gal MLT and a 4 gal boiling pot. Can I steep the Crystal and Roasted Barley separately? If so how could I combine the steeped wort and sparged wort (assuming the sparged wort will consume most of my boil pot). Can I cool the steeped wort and add it to the fermenting bucket directly and then add the cooled sparged wort, extract and hops to the fermenter seperately?

I am sure this makes no sense...I'm not sure I even understand what I am trying to say :confused:

Thanks!

I've done a few mini-mashes with a similar setup. Rather than steeping specialty grains separately, I just include them in your mini mash and back off on the pale a bit. This may require you to up your extract a touch to keep your target OG the same.

Sparge into your boil pot then add the extract and boil away. You can add the extract later to prevent carmelization and improve your hop utilization if you want to get fancy.

Your recipe looks okay to me, you may want to adjust your extract to make sure you get the OG you are looking for. It seems like you may be in the 1.050 range depending on your batch size and mash efficiency.

Back