Partial Mash Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithpence

Reaction score
So I'm looking to brew an oatmeal stout for my next brew, and I'm currently sitting on 2kg of Light DME, so I wanted to use those for the brew.

The only issue for me is getting the supplies as I'm located in rural France, and only have ingredients that an online supplier can give me...right now, I was thinking of using 500g of Cara Malt 150L, 250g of Chocolate malt, 250g roasted barley and 250g flaked oats...along with maybe 1kg of DME (I'm thinking of doing a smaller 10-11 liter batch). Would those malts work for a stout? They are pretty much the closest things I've found as far as stout recipes go/what I can get my hands on. I'm also thinking of doing Columbus for the hops at 60 mins, and that's it. Maybe adding cold brewed coffee as well....any help would be greatly appreciated!

You may not get anything from the oats unless you do a partial mash and include some base malt. My main concern though is you have way too many specialty malts - over 50%. Especially the dark crystal, that would be too much for me even in a 20L batch. Going with those ingredients how about something like this:

11L batch
1.055-1.057 for mash efficiency 70-75%

1 kg light DME 44%
.75 kg pale malt 33%
150g chocolate 6.7%
100g roasted barley 4.4%
100g cara 150L 4.4%
150g flaked oats 6.7%

You could mash in about 5-6 L of water for 60 min at about 154*

You may not get anything from the oats unless you do a partial mash and include some base malt. My main concern though is you have way too many specialty malts - over 50%. Especially the dark crystal, that would be too much for me even in a 20L batch. Going with those ingredients how about something like this:

11L batch
1.055-1.057 for mash efficiency 70-75%

1 kg light DME 44%
.75 kg pale malt 33%
150g chocolate 6.7%
100g roasted barley 4.4%
100g cara 150L 4.4%
150g flaked oats 6.7%

You could mash in about 5-6 L of water for 60 min at about 154*

Ah great, thanks for the response...I wanted to do a partial mash anyway, and figured a stout was a good place to start because of the oats...I decided to just do a bittering w/ Magnum at 60 mins to get to my target IBU. Thanks for the help!

agreed 50% specialty malts is entirely too much. It would make a beer you have to drink with your teeth

I always stay under 20% specialty malts (which doesnt include wheat rye oats vienna munich sugar for my purpose) even for heavy stuff like stouts. Once I started doing this, my beers turned out much more balanced and nuanced. With muich more than that, you get way too much malt presence but not in a good way.

Back