Partial boil query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardisode

Reaction score
So I'm reading brewing classic styles, and I love the recipies that im getting, But im having a hard time understanding the partial boils. I searched the forums and ive found some just say to add 1/3 of the LME at the beginning of the boil and then add the rest in the last 15 or flameout. This seems a little half-a**ed. I'm all for that in my day to day life, but not in brewing. The math in the book is difficult at best to understand. Any help would be much appricated. :mug:

So I'm reading brewing classic styles, and I love the recipies that im getting, But im having a hard time understanding the partial boils. I searched the forums and ive found some just say to add 1/3 of the LME at the beginning of the boil and then add the rest in the last 15 or flameout. This seems a little half-a**ed. I'm all for that in my day to day life, but not in brewing. The math in the book is difficult at best to understand. Any help would be much appricated. :mug:

Why does it seem half assed? It makes good sense from a brewing standpoint.

When you make an all grain batch, or do a full boil, the wort isn't as sugar heavy as a partial boil with all of the extract. If you want to best simulate the full boil/AG version of your beer, you would want it to be the same basic consistency of the AG batch.

I use half a 3lb bag of plain DME in my reg ale batches. Good hop utilization,lighter colors,cleaner flavors from half DME in the boil. Remaining DME & all the LME at flame out. Cover & steep 10-15 minutes. Def an improvement.

So a late addition of about half of your LME reduces the chances of caramelization which will (1) lighten the color of your final beer and (2) potentially increase the the amount of fermentables and give you more attenuation.

It's actually not lazy at all. That's how I added extract before I went all grain.

Good luck!

Yooper said:
Why does it seem half assed? It makes good sense from a brewing standpoint.

When you make an all grain batch, or do a full boil, the wort isn't as sugar heavy as a partial boil with all of the extract. If you want to best simulate the full boil/AG version of your beer, you would want it to be the same basic consistency of the AG batch.
I guess it seems half assed since its so simple. Would that apply to every recipe? I think my confusion stems from applying it to diffrent recipes.

Since I do partial boils,I apply it to all my brews.

Hmm looks like I might have messed that one up then. Oh well, its a learning experience. Now I will be able to tell the difference. Can't know good until you know bad.

True enough,I guess. But this method,properly done,has made better ales for me. It is,however,only another bit of the total equation.:mug:

The partial mash will contribute some gravity points towards the recipe boil gravity. Extract is added in addition to those points to get up to the recipe boil gravity. I partial boil also too so it doesn't take much of the extract to get to the boil gravity. I've calculated a few recipes for partial mash & partial boil and it seems that targeting 3.5 gal at the beginning of the boil lets you satisfy the 1.5q/lb mash water, at least 1.5q/lb batch sparge water and allow for a small amount of extract at the beginning of the boil for about 5# of grain. Assuming a 70% mash efficiency and 3 gallon target for the beginning of the boil, there's been a few times I did the math and came out with the partial mash contributing more than enough gravity points to hit the boil gravity and all the extract would be added at the end. I'm trying to increase my boil volume.

Back